retirement visa USD FX not matched

USA retiree.  last year $30,000 pension distribution.  remitted to Bangkok Bank by SWIFT, shows in bank book but.....  as soon as it got here most of it went to Bualuang Securities to put it to work.  yeah, next year I will keep money in the bank.  In November before the window closed I swore early to $2,052 a month, I could have said $2,500 but I usually would swear to just enough plus a buffer because..... I'm a moron.  but this time was 4 months ahead of normal because of our wonderful government change on income affidavits.....as a retired IRS enrolled agent/accountant I couldn't imagine Immigration would use TODAY's exchange rate.  that does not match up to the FX rate at the time of the distribution.  normally not a difference, but I had cut it too close.   so I lose my 2004 Non-O visa that until now I had never had a problem with and I am otherwise a man without a country.  no way Jose, I go back to the USA.  what are my options?  put 800K in Bangkok Bank as soon as I can... but for two months, do I have that right too? 2 months I do what while the money is seasoned?????

2052 * 31.0 = 63,600 not GT 65K.  using TODAY's rate.  and cannot get another affidavit.

the Immigration officer and I never addressed this directly as I let my Thai wife get the issue confused (got me confused), they kept talking about transferring money and paying for an overstay...  and I didn't figure out the FX rate is TODAY's rate until just now getting some free advice from one of those visa agents, one near the new Subway in Hand Dong.  but she told me to hope the USA would correct my letter.  I just found out the USA won't do a thing to help me. 

there is no 2 month grace or something for a guy who has had his nose clean for almost 20 years.  same rural area and another reason I am confused, several days up at 4AM because of the traveling to Chiangmai on this.   so a little panicked as well as not thinking so great. 

Edited by WeekendRaider

Since your short 1,400/month x 12 = 16,800... If you could show a Thai bank balance in a checking account of 16,800 or more for 3 months prior you should be able to use the combo method and skate by?...

Edited by sfokevin

Since you are married to a Thai you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage and only need to have 40k baht income.

3 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Since your short 1,400/month x 12 = 16,800... If you could show a Thai bank balance in a checking account of 16,800 or more for 3 months prior you should be able to use the combo method and skate by?...

You have to add 20k baht to the 16.8 baht number. The total of income and money in the bank has to be 800k baht for the combination option. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

hmmm.... thank you.  I get by pretty slim with bank balances, just paid off my annual Aetna card  and other things.  but yeah, I forgot.... you mean the combination thing?  wow, I have to rethink this... I guess that's what my wife and the immigration officer have been talking about.... but something is still not right.  and even when I get this sorted out..... I stopped by the US Consulate and they would not even let me talk to anyone... all I was allowed to do is call a number at which I was not talking to an American nor when I called Bangkok.... and was given an email option.  which when I got home I found an computer printed blurb.... that they would not nothing to help me.

how I was treated by the USA.  I thought I am not a red, white and blue guy but..... I had no idea how let down I would feel about this thing... and I do... in the USA we have computers and excellent software and for 99% of us they can verify our damn income in a few seconds if they wanted to.  I have a 1099-R that Immigration wanted to see... but without the affidavit..... it's quite disheartening... the US Consulate can check that in 2 seconds.  or my Schwab account. for damn sure.

my dad served with MacArthur.  I just missed going to Vietnam.  I have always paid my taxes 100%.  

what are they here for? 

they run a trillion dollar deficit now... and they can't so something simple to support us?  but man oh man if it comes to bombing the crap out of some place in the world look out!!!!!!  this ramps that up.  we have been let down. seriously.  what are they here for? 

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 1