The week that was in Thailand news: Mind your language - why I swear by Thailand!

rooster59

Great read ! imho, expats living here who know the swear words (particularly the "depersonalizing pronouns") should never use them ... unless you like violence, and/or have a death wish.

Being aware of their use by Thais ... who are unaware you understand them ... can be useful, but difficult to interpret in context.

~o:37;

• Like 1

My first day in Thailand........over 13 yrs ago........I was warned.

NEVER Talk about the Royal Family and especially the King, even if it is an innocent complimentary joke and certainly not ever in a bad way.

NEVER insult a Thai.......them losing face can get you hurt or shot.

NEVER engage in road rage here........many have a gun in the car or they will go home and get one.

And.....never take 2 girls from the same bar.......lolol

In 13 yrs, I have never had a problem with any Thai for any reason.

Like almost anywhere else in the world you go........if you mind your own business and be respectful, you will not have any problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Sunday mornings.... I've started checking the clock to see if Thaivisa has arrived in my email inbox.

Well done Rooster.

You are most welcome. And please stay tuned not just on Sundays. There are many terrific stories from the Thai press translated on Thaivisa every day. I play my part in this in an effort to bring not just the content of the Thai news to the English speaking world but in trying to instill more flavor and understanding of what makes Thai people tick. 

The editorial team at TV are pleased to be offering an increasingly professional as well as entertaining platform for the news. 

Rooster

• Like 2

The only swear word I know besides, son teen vervus son tao, is real stupid buffalo, I called a German tourist that who cut in front of me at a grocery mart. The Thais looked at me and I asked the German if he understood, of course not. so the Thai, said, you stupid! The German guys wife said that she agreed, and we all had a chuckle.   Good read Rooster, glad you still have some humour.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Great read ! imho, expats living here who know the swear words (particularly the "depersonalizing pronouns") should never use them ... unless you like violence, and/or have a death wish.

Being aware of their use by Thais ... who are unaware you understand them ... can be useful, but difficult to interpret in context.

~o:37;

Generally, as my column this week stated, I have to agree with you. There is very little worse than people who can converse in a few sentences thinking they can make the leap to using swear words. It is hard enough for a native speaker let alone a second language learner. 

Knowing the words is an entirely different matter, as you rightly intimate. They can be great indicators of when things are on the verge of or have indeed snapped. 

I am admittedly fascinated by the subject, especially how foul language and swearing is used for comic effect. Thai cabaret and some movies are good learning grounds for that. But I would stress that even for comic effect a foreigner has to be well extremely versed in the words, tones, senses (and consequences!!) in order to pull it off. I have triumphed and failed miserably at both in my time!

Rooster

5 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The only swear word I know besides, son teen vervus son tao, is real stupid buffalo, I called a German tourist that who cut in front of me at a grocery mart. The Thais looked at me and I asked the German if he understood, of course not. so the Thai, said, you stupid! The German guys wife said that she agreed, and we all had a chuckle.   Good read Rooster, glad you still have some humour.

Geezer

Cheers. There was a English language song always playing in the discos in the 1980s (when I was invariably treading the boards) to which all those Thais present would sing the Thai chorus as it sounded to them:

Ai hia ai naa ai sat son teen

What was the track?, I forget.

Rooster

18 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

My first day in Thailand........over 13 yrs ago........I was warned.

NEVER Talk about the Royal Family and especially the King, even if it is an innocent complimentary joke and certainly not ever in a bad way.

NEVER insult a Thai.......them losing face can get you hurt or shot.

NEVER engage in road rage here........many have a gun in the car or they will go home and get one.

And.....never take 2 girls from the same bar.......lolol

In 13 yrs, I have never had a problem with any Thai for any reason.

Like almost anywhere else in the world you go........if you mind your own business and be respectful, you will not have any problems.

It was all good advice that you received. 

I encapsulated this by my expression "Make trouble - go home in a box". 

As a teacher about Thailand to young Thai children I have some amusing tales to tell about some of their comments when topics touched on "delicate" matters. They would put their hand up and say "Khun Khru....my day says...." Myself being English often emboldened them I felt. In these instances the children were always told that this was an inappropriate subject for discussion in front of a class and to see me afterwards. The children concerned were then given an understanding - from a foreigner no less! - of what it is to be Thai. I remember each and every one of those interactions as if it were yesterday.

Rooster

The best read for a few weks Rooster old chap. I was particularly pleased to see my home changwat Loei get one of your rare mentions - though a shame there was no news from it!

Your mention of dogs got me going. My pet hate. On a personal level I like them, and provided they appear amenable I generally give them a stroke. But, I am a cyclist (non-motorised variety) which makes me particularly vulnerable to the more scarelous ones. I think of them as tanon dogs, as those living in sois tend not to be too much of a problem. Probably because chasing me too far puts them into enemy territory- ie of a neighbour's dogs. The worst ones generally reside in the more remote properties and it's not unknown for them to chase me for hundreds of meters. I've read on this forum suggestions ranging from proffering treats to spraying noxious substances in the critters' orifices. I've not yet resorted to either.

Now, the problem with being on a bicycle is that ankles and calves are particularly vulnerable. On a motorbike they're out of reach, and, in any case you can speed away. On foot you can pick up a stone or stick. I got nipped once and of course this necessitated a visit to my local hospital (Erawan 30 minutes away) for rabies and tetanus shots. I've now developed my own defensive technique. It starts with a low growl, proceeds to a threating roar, and if both these fail to deter, my last resort is to leap off the bike, and keeping it between me and the threatener, to continue shouting which usually attracts someone elses attention. If I see a person in the grounds of the property from which the dogs (there's always more than one) emanated I'll remonstrate with them. Of course this gets the dogs going even more until they are called off 

I've considered writing to the local tambons suggesting something needs to be done, but I don't think any of the five through which I cycle would have anyone who could interpret adequately. I've also considered going to the local police, but not sure what, if anything this would achieve. 

The whole dog problem is probably one of several reasons why most kids ride motorbikes to school rather than use the pedalled variety, which would be much more beneficial to their health and wellbeing. 

I'm not sure I've achieved anything by this rant, but at least iI've got it off my chest!

The best read for a few weks Rooster old chap. I was particularly pleased to see my home changwat Loei get one of your rare mentions - though a shame there was no news from it!

Your mention of dogs got me going. My pet hate. On a personal level I like them, and provided they appear amenable I generally give them a stroke. But, I am a cyclist (non-motorised variety) which makes me particularly vulnerable to the more scarelous ones. I think of them as tanon dogs, as those living in sois tend not to be too much of a problem. Probably because chasing me too far puts them into enemy territory- ie of a neighbour's dogs. The worst ones generally reside in the more remote properties and it's not unknown for them to chase me for hundreds of meters. I've read on this forum suggestions ranging from proffering treats to spraying noxious substances in the critters' orifices. I've not yet resorted to either.

Now, the problem with being on a bicycle is that ankles and calves are particularly vulnerable. On a motorbike they're out of reach, and, in any case you can speed away. On foot you can pick up a stone or stick. I got nipped once and of course this necessitated a visit to my local hospital (Erawan 30 minutes away) for rabies and tetanus shots. I've now developed my own defensive technique. It starts with a low growl, proceeds to a threating roar, and if both these fail to deter, my last resort is to leap off the bike, and keeping it between me and the threatener, to continue shouting which usually attracts someone elses attention. If I see a person in the grounds of the property from which the dogs (there's always more than one) emanated I'll remonstrate with them. Of course this gets the dogs going even more until they are called off 

I've considered writing to the local tambons suggesting something needs to be done, but I don't think any of the five through which I cycle would have anyone who could interpret adequately. I've also considered going to the local police, but not sure what, if anything this would achieve. 

The whole dog problem is probably one of several reasons why most kids ride motorbikes to school rather than use the pedalled variety, which would be much more beneficial to their health and wellbeing. 

I'm not sure I've achieved anything by this rant, but at least iI've got it off my chest!

A good read, and the first time I have come across your articles in TV. Much more enjoyable than so many typical,  sensational posts. I live in a small village near Sangkhlaburi and as such have been trying hard to learn the lingo, but progress is slow, not helped by the many different languages here (60% Mon/Myanmar, 10% Laos, and the rest a mix of Thai dialects). My g/f helps me a lot and on a daily walk around the village very often as we pass a residence or a group of men/women yakking, she will mutter 'they talk no good!' which means they swear a lot. It seems very common here indeed. You are right, I don't want to know the words as I would be sure to use them innapropriately!

I would like to ask you Rooster with your envied fluency, is it always a good thing to understand what people in your company are talking about (esp. if they are talking about you). I have heard people say they sometimes wish they were not so fluent!

Anyway, good read I will do a search for your other ramblings.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

A good read, and the first time I have come across your articles in TV. Much more enjoyable than so many typical,  sensational posts. I live in a small village near Sangkhlaburi and as such have been trying hard to learn the lingo, but progress is slow, not helped by the many different languages here (60% Mon/Myanmar, 10% Laos, and the rest a mix of Thai dialects). My g/f helps me a lot and on a daily walk around the village very often as we pass a residence or a group of men/women yakking, she will mutter 'they talk no good!' which means they swear a lot. It seems very common here indeed. You are right, I don't want to know the words as I would be sure to use them innapropriately!

I would like to ask you Rooster with your envied fluency, is it always a good thing to understand what people in your company are talking about (esp. if they are talking about you). I have heard people say they sometimes wish they were not so fluent!

Anyway, good read I will do a search for your other ramblings.

I have never really thought it wasn't good to understand things that are going on around me. When I know I don't want to let it in then I just go into a mode where it becomes background noise, unintelligible. I have played thousands of games of pro Scrabble with Thais in noisy shopping centers - I have learnt to deal with background noise. I have found that people talk about you less than you might think. Quite a lot of foreigners are paranoid. When I do catch people talking about me it is usually harmless and good to make a joke about it. If it is serious I would just smile and maybe log it for future reference...

You live in a lovely part of Thailand. When I was at Harrow I visited to set up several charitable projects with people looking after Burmese refugees and at Ban Un-Rak in the town. 

Good luck in the future and I hope you continue to enjoy the column. 

Rooster

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, Jane Dough said:

Ai hia ai naa ai sat son teen

What was the track?, I forget.

Bananarama from 1983 - "Na Na, Hey Hey"...?

If I was Thai I'd be tempted to butcher the lyrics thusly.