Bank Statement for Extension of Retirement Visa

Although my next extension is not due until December, I went to Bangkok Bank to request an account statement. I wanted see exactly how it looks in case it does not comply with Immigration. The clerk understood (at least she said she did) that this was for Immigration compliance. It took about 5 minutes and 200 baht for me to get the statement.

The transactions where I moved money from outside Thailand to the local bank are marked as 'BAHTNET' via 'USER'. I see no evidence that the deposit came from outside the country, but possibly 'BAHTNET' means something ?

I questioned this with the clerk who told me this was what Immigration wanted and she also gave me a letter stating my account status and date opened. All stamped and signed.

My question is: Is the clerk correct ? She certainly seemed to understand what I was asking for and there was no hesitation or uncertainty is her actions. 

Was the statement she gave you a 6 month history or a full 12 months as what Immigration has stated is required?

It was only 6 months as they told me the full year statement would take a couple of days. I assumed the information would be the same.

39 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

Thanks. I'm only looking for anyone who may have experienced this same issue. 

Your initial question was a perfectly valid one... But at this time TI new rules have not been defined in working terms so time will tell...

The bank statement you received is the standard one banks have always issued on the spot (6 months)... I was thinking of getting this statement at my 6 month mark and a second just before my extension then I would have a full years history - But then again will TI accept the older (6 month old) statement. Or must we preorder a special 12 month statement that the bank say takes an undetermined “couple of days” to get (My bank said “about a week”)... How do we coordinate a current statement to our appointment with TI...

It’s a bit of a rabbit hole we’ve all been thrown in... :coffee1:

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobonzo said:

Thanks. I'm only looking for anyone who may have experienced this same issue. 

I did my extension on Friday (using 800k savings) and then had a long chat with the Senior Immigration Officer about the new rules for next year.

For saving/combo, they will want to see a fully itemized bank statement from the date of your previous extension right through to the date you are applying for a new extension (which could be longer than 12 month depending on how early you apply), so they can check to ensure you've maintained the necessary minimums).

For income (assuming you are from a country that no longer issues LoI's), they want to see a bank statement showing the necessary income being deposited from overseas EVERY month.  They indicated the banks will be able to provide a statement showing ONLY international deposits. 

I had sent some cash using Transferwise a few days before applying, which had arrived via TMB to my Kasikornbank, and had been recorded as "dummy account" in my bankbook and itemized statement.  The I/O was not interested in understanding this or reviewing my TW receipt, but insisted a bank statement showing ONLY Intl. deposits would be required. 

They warned that banks usually require a week or so notice to provide 12+ month statements and so you need to plan around this in future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I did my extension on Friday (using 800k savings) and then had a long chat with the Senior Immigration Officer about the new rules for next year. //

You should indicate in which Immigration Office you were (and same in the thread you started).

High probability that not all places apply the exact same rules...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobonzo said:
3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Why don't you now take the bank statement & letter along to TI & ask for their view?

3 hours ago, bobonzo said:

Yes that's my next step when I do my next 90 day report.

I do hope you'll be kind enough to let us all know what TI has to say. I've been planning on doing the same thing myself before my next 90 day 'report to head teacher'.

I'm particularly interested to hear their comments regarding TransferWise deposits.

Edited by Moonlover

The transactions where I moved money from outside Thailand to the local bank are marked as 'BAHTNET' via 'USER'. I see no evidence that the deposit came from outside the country, but possibly 'BAHTNET' means something ?

BAHTNET (Bank of Thailand Automated High-value Transfer Network) is one of the primary Thailand funds transfer systems....it also interfaces with the SWIFT network.   See details at the Bank of Thailand webpage below.  

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PaymentSystems/PSServices/bahtnet/Pages/default.aspx

Your incoming international transfer basically used BAHTNET for the final leg its trip from the home country.

BAHTNET is primarily used for domestic transfers....moving money around within Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rarely use a bank transfer to bring in money but carry cash in from Britain also when a familly member comes over get them to bring cash ,that way i can change it when the rate is to my advantage,so money rarely looks as if its coming from abroad,is this ok For the 800000 in bank route? Its the way i have always done it in jomtien

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

I did my extension on Friday (using 800k savings) and then had a long chat with the Senior Immigration Officer about the new rules for next year.

For saving/combo, they will want to see a fully itemized bank statement from the date of your previous extension right through to the date you are applying for a new extension (which could be longer than 12 month depending on how early you apply), so they can check to ensure you've maintained the necessary minimums).

For income (assuming you are from a country that no longer issues LoI's), they want to see a bank statement showing the necessary income being deposited from overseas EVERY month.  They indicated the banks will be able to provide a statement showing ONLY international deposits. 

I had sent some cash using Transferwise a few days before applying, which had arrived via TMB to my Kasikornbank, and had been recorded as "dummy account" in my bankbook and itemized statement.  The I/O was not interested in understanding this or reviewing my TW receipt, but insisted a bank statement showing ONLY Intl. deposits would be required. 

They warned that banks usually require a week or so notice to provide 12+ month statements and so you need to plan around this in future.

Get the Credit Advice from Kasikorn and see if it shows the international origin. It should, and if it does then you can show it to yhe bank and ask them to include the details in the bank letter.

42 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I rarely use a bank transfer to bring in money but carry cash in from Britain also when a familly member comes over get them to bring cash ,that way i can change it when the rate is to my advantage,so money rarely looks as if its coming from abroad,is this ok For the 800000 in bank route? Its the way i have always done it in jomtien

Fine, source of the money is not a requirement, just the seasoning needs to pay heed of.

Yes my yearly was done in jan before anyone knew of these new rules so i assume my "seasoning" would start from next jan when i do my new yearly,mind you i may go down the marriage route ,as i dont like having to leave 400000 k in a bank not able to use even in an emergancy.

7 hours ago, bobonzo said:

My question is: Is the clerk correct ? She certainly seemed to understand what I was asking for and there was no hesitation or uncertainty is her actions. 

for my first extension, i was missing the statement showing 800k came from outside.  cw bkk bank only had records for 3 months, had to taxi to silom.

the male clerk gave me another copy of the same guarantee letter i already had.  showed him the one i already got an hour earlier, he insisted immigration wanted a second copy, so go away!

nice lady manager finally got me the correct letter.  so.....no, you can not trust the clerks to know their business.

Re: showing international transfers for past 12 months.  

I wonder if even Thai immigration would issue an order that says you must comply in the future 

AND ALSO for many months prior to the new order.  Ex post facto, it is. 

The order was January, right?  So you must have had international transfers for many months prior?

46 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Re: showing international transfers for past 12 months.  

I wonder if even Thai immigration would issue an order that says you must comply in the future 

AND ALSO for many months prior to the new order.  Ex post facto, it is. 

The order was January, right?  So you must have had international transfers for many months prior?

The impression I got was you only need to comply (with savings) in the future to ensure you can get next years extension.  Same with income.. you need to show the past years income.

Having just received my extension this year, it was made clear I would need a full year from now of Intl deposits to be able to use income or combo NEXT year.

I forgot to ask about those extending later this year who cannot get an embassy letter and can perhaps only show monthly deposits since this option was announced.   I am ASSUMING they would want to see monthly deposits from Dec last or perhaps Jan of this year at the latest, but if you are intending to extend later this year and haven't yet started depositing internationally, then I would recommend you discuss this with your own Immigration Office ASAP to see what they expect you to do. This is the so called transition period.

Edited by steve73

27 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I am ASSUMING they would want to see monthly deposits from Dec last or perhaps Jan of this year at the latest,

Exactly. But TIT.  I started TransferWise to BKK bank in Jan but also looking for other places to live - some of which might be more attractive in any case. 

Previously they just wanted to see income amounts - none of which had to go into Thai banks.

How do the banks feel about getting billions in new deposits?  Surely they don't have any influence here do they? 

TIT 

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

I forgot to ask about those extending later this year who cannot get an embassy letter and can perhaps only show monthly deposits since this option was announced.   I am ASSUMING they would want to see monthly deposits from Dec last or perhaps Jan of this year at the latest, but if you are intending to extend later this year and haven't yet started depositing internationally, then I would recommend you discuss this with your own Immigration Office ASAP to see what they expect you to do. This is the so called transition period.

This has been addressed already. TI are aware that not all of us will be able to show a full years' income due to the timeframe involved.

It was stated that basically you'll need to show as many months as you can for the first extension, but plan for a full year in the future. But please don't ask me where it was this was said. It has long since been buried in the plethora of threads on this issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Your choice really, but you know that you are free to choose the day of your bank transfer just as you choose which day to go down to the exchange booth, right?

12 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

You haven't had problems withdrawing after depositing large amounts of cash into your Thai bank?

Several posts on TVF in the past have made this sound problematical if they can't see the origin of the funds and thus can suspect you earned it in Thailand and were working illegally.

Edited by JimmyJ

You haven't had problems withdrawing after depositing large amounts of cash into your Thai bank?
Several posts on TVF in the past have made this sound problematical if they can't see the origin of the funds and thus can suspect you earned it in Thailand and were working illegally.

No problems ever

Who knows what documentation might ultimately prove to be acceptable, or if they need to be issued/authorized on the same day as one's extension application, but...

Bangkok Bank will issue separate Credit Advice/Receipts for each individual inbound foreign transfer. These completely detail the transfer. There is no charge for these reports. I got these at the "Foreign Remittance" desk at my BBL branch.

I've kept the Bangkok Bank SMSes (printed them out) which also detail the foreign transfers, and have been printing monthly online statements (source and destination accounts), understanding that any/all of these may prove to be unacceptable.

I'm told that my branch of BBL will issue 'official' statements, but only for up to six (6) months maximum. I plan to get a statement for Jan-Jun, and Jun-Sep (my ext date is 28 Sep, and I only started transfers as of January 2019 when the new "orders" were issued - I'll only have nine (9) monthly transfers at the time of my application).

My online statements show each inbound foreign transfer as INTERNATIONAL, with the credit amount and Channel is USER. They are, uniquely, in reverse date order, which I guess is to be expected.

Edited by mtls2005

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Get the Credit Advice from Kasikorn and see if it shows the international origin. It should, and if it does then you can show it to yhe bank and ask them to include the details in the bank letter.

Yep exactly get the Credit Advice that will at least verify what you want to know regarding your transfers.  

I have a quick follow up question on this bank statement/letter requirement. Does anyone know what limit TI (Jomtien office) has on the number of days prior to applying for extension the bank statement/letter must be dated? I had read earlier that it has to be within a day or two. Since the banks are not consistent as to the days required to complete the letter, that could become a problem. 

• Like 1

Do not use Bahtnet, transfer wise or any of that crap.  Just call your bank in your home country and have them make the International wire transfers manually.  Then ask for the Credit Advice at the bank the day after your wire transfers posts.  The Credit Advice is free I never pay anything for it and it perfectly verifies everything such as your name, address in Thailand, the origin of your wire transfers including the name of the bank in your home country that it came from, the amount of each transfer in Thai Baht, and your Thai bank account name and account number which will match your pass book.  

The Credit Advice is free and it verifies everything you need I have them printed every month at my bank and it doesn’t cost me anything.  When you actually get your extension you’ll probably need a letter from your bank which verifies the same information for all of your International wire transfers but according to my bank they are free as well and can also be easily produced by the bank.  Of course that’s my branch but as far as the Credit Advice I know any bank in Thailand can provide those for free you just have to specify the Credit Advice, and I think it’s best to make your International wire transfers manually over the phone with your bank in your home country because that way can be easily verified by your Thai bank.  

I’ve looked into transfer wise and other apps that people have advised me about and I’m not liking the transfer apps very much if it’s to good and easy to be true it probably is.