long visas from UK

guys, asking a question for an old fart/friend

He says you can get a 12 month tourist visa from the British Embassy in London, or can get a 6 month visa from Embassy in Hull

is he correct or is he talking cow poo

a cold chang rests on the answer

thanks

I suspect your friend has got about half the story and also got his terminology wrong.

The longest tourist visa is an METV. This is valid for 6 months and can be used to get 9 months' stay in Thailand. This is available both from the London Embassy and all the consulates including Hull.

There are a variety of longer multiple-entry non-immigrant visas, not tourist visas, available from the London Embassy. Most are valid for a year. I suspect your friend has got a little mixed up.

If he is on a state pension he can get multiple entry non-o visa that is valid for a year from the date of issue at the Thai embassy in London. There is no 12 month tourist visa available anywhere.

He can get a multiple entry tourist visa that is valid for 6 months from the date of issue at the Thai embassy or one of the honorary consulates in the UK.

Thanks for the quick replies

looks like i owe you two a beer as well as him

so he could, as a 72 year  old pensioner, go the the embassy in London and get a 1 year multi entry ?

what would the cost of this be, cos he pays an agent to get his retirement visa here, but goes home to the UK every year

if going home, as i will be, would this be cheaper and easier than putting the 800k in the bank for half the year?

34 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

so he could, as a 72 year  old pensioner, go the the embassy in London and get a 1 year multi entry ?

what would the cost of this be, cos he pays an agent to get his retirement visa here, but goes home to the UK every year

if going home, as i will be, would this be cheaper and easier than putting the 800k in the bank for half the year?

It is a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 entries for a year. It requires leaving the country every 90 days for a new entry. The fee is 125 pounds.

Cheaper perhaps than paying an agent. Not really easier if you consider having to leave the country every 90 days.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the O-A visa.

Visa has 12 month multi-entry validity, each entry valid for 12 months, so with careful use you can get 2 years from it.

Needs supporting cash/income (but can be UK based), medical report, & police report.  I'm not sure of cost.

Ideal if he goes back to the UK approximately the same time every year... and saves faffing about every 90 days.  

Edited by steve73

Just now, steve73 said:

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the O-A visa.

Looking at the initial post, there are pointers that suggest "old fart/friend" does not fit the profile of a successful O-A visa applicant. ????

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 entries for a year. It requires leaving the country every 90 days for a new entry. The fee is 125 pounds.

Fees are going up on 1st April to £150, on both the METV and the non o/a's.