126 Thais arrested for tourist harassment

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Spidey said:

The first time that I ever visited Bangkok, I wanted to visit Chinatown as it was the vegetable festival.

I caught the MRT to the nearest station and went over to a line of Tuk Tuks to ask them to take me to Chinatown. Immediately, I was intercepted by the gang boss, a middle aged and slightly smarter dressed gentleman.

"Chinatown closed today", he helpfully informed me. As soon as the words came out of his mouth, the penny dropped. I'd watched a documentary about Thailand on UK TV, 2 weeks earlier, which featured the gem shop scam. It was the same guy featured in the documentary. I immediately replied, "Oh well, can you take me to a gem shop instead?" His little face beamed until I started roaring with laughter and explained to him that he was a celebrity in England.

He wasn't amused and started ranting. I turned away and walked to Chinatown.

It's been going on for decades, all travel books and websites wrote about it.

Finally after 30 years the Thai woke up..

Charging tourists more is reserved only for government officials .

seriously how do you detain someone for selling goods at higher prices to tourists when dual pricing is official government policy

16 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

A load of nonsense really. Face saving exercise from the authorities.

The offenders will give a deep wai and promise to behave. 

They’ll be back to their old tricks as soon as the cops leave. 

That's exactly what I'm thinking...

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, too bad the story does not say what happened with them after they were rounded up. If they were punished somehow (especially the taxi drivers that refused to turn on the meter). The story does not tell us much about htis.

The usual 200-500 baht tip and back out on the road to rip off tourists!

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

It's been going on for decades, all travel books and websites wrote about it.

Finally after 30 years the Thai woke up..

I don't think so. I can guarantee that Tuk Tuk cartels in Bangkok will be trying to persuade tourists to visit gem shops today. Just an empty PR gesture.

18 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, too bad the story does not say what happened with them after they were rounded up. If they were punished somehow (especially the taxi drivers that refused to turn on the meter). The story does not tell us much about htis.

They were given verbal warning as I read between the lines ????what are you expecting?????

did they say "please" stop harassing tourists or tell them not to make it so obvious.

Pretty steep punishment being talked to. Guess they have learnt there lesson.

So how about the ones that annoy life in the hopes you buy houses, land, etc and just the ones that are racist and discriminate because of such. Ive got a bull dozer. Can i round em up?

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

A bit like a carry on film:

Carry On Regardless (1961) or perhaps Carry On Cowboy (1965)

or Carry on screaming!!....as far as im concerned people lurking there can "carry on up their Khyber"!!

20 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

Just a few thousand more to catch then they can move on to the other locations where it happens just as much!

Yes, they should take a look at the Tuesday and Friday market at Soi Buckaow.

I was quoted two and a half times the price for something I would get at my local Sunday market. Crooks.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

The only thing is most tourists won't know the difference the way us ex pats do.

Dude. Its a simple life lesson that one learns at the foot of his Pater....

"They pat you on the back with one hand, and pick your pocket with the other"

If you dont know how to avoid scams in a foreign country, then you shouldnt travel.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude. Its a simple life lesson that one learns at the foot of his Pater....

"They pat you on the back with one hand, and pick your pocket with the other"

If you dont know how to avoid scams in a foreign country, then you shouldnt travel.

In that case, we should all just stay in our own countries.

15 hours ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

One time, I was walking home from Bali hai to Jomtien hill in the middle of the day. Completely sober.

The taxi drivers closest to WS, Bike drivers, were asking for 200. I told them no, and walked to the corner near Bali hai, to the next group of moto-taxis. Usually, telling them no makes them beg you to come back and offer something reasonable. These particular ones didn't. I know the cost should be around 60-80, but I usually settle for 80 just to make them happy.

On the way, was a tuk-tuk taximan in front of Family Mart. Figured I'd ask him. He told me "Uhh.. 500 baht" I laughed in his face, hysterically. Didn't even give him a chance to save face. Told him he's insane and should never operate a taxi again, "This isn't Bangkok, friend".

Walked 20m down the road to the corner, asked a moto-taxi to take me home. 80 baht.

Some of these taxi drivers are outright criminals in orange uniforms.

You mean most of them.

Looks like a huge push by the NLA throwing out hundreds of new laws with Junta backing before the elections hit. It really looks likes a mass strangulation push of all Thai and Foreigners to take an iron fisted control. Not saying these guys and gals at the palace taking advantage and preying on tourists or Thai people for that fact is good as it has for never for umpteen umpteen years not been good, but this is just one more instance that points to full out control scennario. 

Archived