ED visa - questions

We are about to begin the ED visa process.

We are doing it in The Gulf (islands), and I have a few questions regarding the possible risks because it’s not cheap.

1. I read here they “don’t do visa but gives you papers to do it aboard” - it’s true- but they said THEY send our application to the government then give it back to us and WE go out of TH to get our passport stamped.

Does it mean that we will get it for sure after they already apply with the IO in Surathani? Is the decision already made before we leave TH with the papers or only outside when we by our selves?

2. Is there a way to get it while inside TH without leaving the country?

3. They said we don’t have to come to lessons, it’s English so Thai can’t test us. Are there any other risks not coming?

4. Are there any cases when ED application was denied because we already have a few SETVs? Or is this one more simple?

Thanks!

1. After you enroll in the scholl they will get paperwork from the Education Ministry that you will need to apply for a single entry non-ed visa. If you have the correct paperwork the visa will be issued without a problem.

2. Not if you are attending a language school or any other one that is considered a informal school.

3. Not sure about that. Most immigration offices want proof of attendance to issue the 90 day extension you will get.

4. No problem to get the non-ed visa after having a few tourist visas.

Why you call it non ED if it’s made for educational purposes? The school call it ED visa (?)

How can you get “formal” ED visa without leaving the country?

If it’s so easy why most people here still deal with visa runs instead of 1 year ED?

Money for this visa is almost the same as all flights and buses and time spent for a few visa runs. What am I missing ?

24 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Why you call it non ED if it’s made for educational purposes? The school call it ED visa (?)

If it’s so easy why most people here still deal with visa runs instead of 1 year ED?

Money for this visa is almost the same as all flights and buses and time spent for a few visa runs. What am I missing ?

No idea why its called non ED. Is that important?

You have to leave the country. I'm not aware of any other possibility.

The 1 year ED costs money and as stated above it is not so easy to get away with non-attendance ... any company offering that might not be in business long. As you will be tied up in one location that does not suit those that want to explore further afield.

44 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Immigration officers might show up at class to make sure that people attend. If the school bribes them (you pay for this) they will notify you before such an inspection, but if you happen to be somewhere else at this time you have to travel back to sit in the class at the day of the "surprise" inspection. With a tourist visa you don't have this problem.

Getting ED visa extensions without attending classes is of course illegal, so it can be shut down at any time.

Afaik it's common that ED visa extensions are only for 3 months, a few weeks ago here was even somebody who said he only gets 2 months at a time. Means 6*1900 THB = 11400THB per year just for the extensions. You also need to do 90 day reports, which are not nessecary when staying on tourist visas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob4 said:

You can only do a change to a non immigrant education (ED) visa from a tourist visa  or visa exempt if you are attending a formal school as I explained earlier.

8 hours ago, Rob4 said:

I assume the the do not want spend their time attending classes is the reason some people choose to do the runs.

But how much time do you spend doing all those plus the risk of being denied a visa or entry to the country after doing them for a while.

What is a formal school ? Does anyone really know? I couldn’t find other than university what’s a “real school” means.

We must attend 80% of time by law. If officer come and I am not there it may be the 20% I am allowed to not be there. (?)

We also allowed to leave country for 2 weeks, also to have private lessons, or just to be sick - so this officer visit seems

not so effective in those cases.

Also — giving 1-3 hours a week of my time to get quite seems reasonable, and if you are here for 6+ months you usually rent a house in 1 place anyway I think.

Are there other solutions equivalent (money wise ) for the ED visa? Is business visa can be cheaper ?

This is the definition of a informal school as shown in the police order.

"Types of non-formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission" And this.

"Announcement from the Private Education Commission, Subject: Types and nature of schools, teaching management and curriculum of non-formal school dated on 12 February 2009.

• Religious school: a school established by sole purpose of teaching religion
• Art and Sports school: a school established to provide education of music, art and sports
• Vocational school: a school established to provide vocational skills to be applied to further carrier or as an additional skill for learners
• Tutoring school: a school established to provide additional knowledge parallel to the general education curriculum
• Skill Development school: established to develop talents, ideas and other skills of learners"

All others could be formal schools such as universities and other full time schools.

• Like 1