Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

People with a healthy pension may want to consider retiring to an upscale neighborhood or suburb of Santiago Chile. It's a first world country and the last time I checked their visa process is not horrible and they even consider applications on a case by case basis without sticking to hard number rules. No, I haven't been there and I've heard some people that like Argentina find Chile boring, but not sure boring is so bad for older people.

https://www.expatarrivals.com/americas/chile/santiago/areas-and-suburbs-santiago

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

People with a healthy pension may want to consider retiring to an upscale neighborhood or suburb of Santiago Chile. It's a first world country and the last time I checked their visa process is not horrible and they even consider applications on a case by case basis without sticking to hard number rules. No, I haven't been there and I've heard some people that like Argentina find Chile boring, but not sure boring is so bad for older people.

https://www.expatarrivals.com/americas/chile/santiago/areas-and-suburbs-santiago

IMHO Santiago Chile is a beautiful city, some great modern ( anti earthquake ) buildings give a unique feel, think modern pyramids !! Many Americanised bars and restaurants as well as local fayre.
Skiing an hour to the east and the beaches an hour to the west , beaches aren’t that great as the sand is volcanic ( black ) but still attracts some tourists. A couple of beautiful cities, Valparaiso and Viña del Mar are worth a visit and the great choice of good quality wines is a definite advantage.
It does have a good range of temperatures and can get a little cold in winter ( right now I’d settle for a bit of cold ????) but not excessive.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Now I think that I can so Mexico is one of the countries that makes sense to be on my consideration list if I leave Thailand.

LOL. On page 56 of this War and Peace length thread, you said you "rejected' Mexico for a variety of reasons, and now it is back on the "consideration list". So which is it?  Or did  you just type something and forget?

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 11:35 PM, Jingthing said:

OK. I admit it. I find this guy hilarious. He's got a Medellin channel  and he's also on topic, so here's a taste.

Why are you promoting this Medellin site?  They demand $195 up front for a phone call and credit card info. 

• Like 1

LOL. On page 56 of this War and Peace length thread, you said you "rejected' Mexico for a variety of reasons.  So which is it?  Do you just type something and forget?

It's back on my radar. Second to Colombia. The visa seems like it might be possible for me but still not 100 percent sure and I got new information on Queretaro indicating that decent housing near the center is possible which didn't seem so before. There are strong downsides to Mexico though including the impact of the change of government.  

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Why are you promoting this Medellin site?  They demand $195 up front for a phone call and credit card info. 

Yeah he seems kind of a snake oil salesman but if you recall I mentioned that I find the guy hilarious. So I thought if his videos are entertaining to me others might feel the same way. It's fair that you criticized that choice. There is some value about Medellin in his free content but you need to be skeptical. The guy was cuckolded by his wife and is now back in the US. Before things fell apart for him he and his wife were planning expeditions to Vietnam and Thailand that never happened.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, faraday said:

Could you just remind me who is the author of this thread?

LOL. Such pomposity! Are you new to the internet?  May I just "remind" YOU that the OP of a thread, or "author" as you say, does not own the content of their post, or have the right to quell differing opinions throughout the thread. Nice try though!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grifbel said:

LOL. Such pomposity! Are you new to the internet?  May I just "remind" YOU that the OP of a thread, or "author" as you say, does not own the content of their post, or have the right to quell differing opinions throughout the thread. Nice try though!

You portray yourself - just my opinion - in a rather unfortunate way.

Never mind. Have a smashing day.

• Like 1

LOL. On page 56 of this War and Peace length thread, you said you "rejected' Mexico for a variety of reasons, and now it is back on the "consideration list". So which is it?  Or did  you just type something and forget?
So as it sounds like you're reading this thread about Latin America so comprehensively may I ask you which if any of the Latin American nations interest you in terms of potential expatriation?

• Like 1

You are clearly not new to the internet.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:35 PM, Jingthing said:

OK. I admit it. I find this guy hilarious. He's got a Medellin channel  and he's also on topic, so here's a taste.

I found it of some interest although it took me about a minute in to the video to attune to his accent. That is not intended as any criticism.

One important fact I gleaned from it which is of some importance to me is his comment about the transport system, buses, trams, even cable car.

Wherever I choose to stay, spend some time in I want a good convenient transport system.

Whilst I can drive gave that up about 10 years ago.Prefer to keep it that way.

He stated that a return tram/cable car journey across town was less than  1 US$. 

Yes I know, here in Pattaya the bahtbus  system is generally good, I use it.

• Like 1

Yes if I do move to Latin America, a location where it is convenient and not overly expensive that does not require a car or bike is really among my highest MUST HAVE priorities. Of course, I've got that now in Thailand and that would be very hard and likely very expensive to find in the USA. That's one of the top reasons in my mind AGAINST repatriating to the USA. All the locations I've focused on don't require a private vehicle. 

• Like 1

I've mentioned it before but this Swiss expat helper couple in Medellin impresses me as being very ethical and very knowledgeable. Yes, they run a for profit business, but tons of free and very credible sounding content is offered as well. They appear to be trying very hard and I think succeeding in giving the objective story without sugar coating. Frankly, for people moving there with limited Spanish and no local friends or family, I think it would be worth a good amount of money for help for things like getting a more local rental price on an apartment. For example wouldn't it worth it to pay 500 dollars to save 500 dollars a month on an apartment lease? It sure would to me.

HOW TO EXPAT expat helper business in Medellin Colombia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCDC2-u_tZ8k9099hOi5pQ

Of course if anyone here actually gets to the point of hiring this couple, please get back to us here with a review of your experience. I only have my impression based on their videos.

Proactively speaking to any potential nitpickers on this thread, no, I have no financial connection to any commercial business that I may link to on this thread. If I did, I would say so, but don't hold your breath for that, as that's not going to happen. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Just admit it-you are not going anywhere..

The same as your thread "I am thinking about relocating to the USA" three years ago.

The same as the "I am 112 years old and I am thinking about going back to America" poster of more recent times.

I can't predict the future. I have determined that I would be better off moving to another expat country rather than repatriating. Repatriation is always a backup option for all of us, of course, assuming we are healthy enough to fly back.

I may also (perhaps even very probably) NEVER move from Thailand. I have never said differently. I have openly said I'm interested in buying an elite card. That would certainly mean an intention to stay, at least for the term of the card. 

Starting this thread is not only for me. It is about everyone considering expatriation to Latin America. As I've already said too many times, starting this thread is in no way any kind of personal commitment to move to Latin America and if I eventually do, I am also not committing to any particular time frame. 

So it's hard to get this persistent HECKLING over my personal timing of anything. It's like such people are trying to mock and insult me over something I have never claimed to. It's weird. It's destructive. What's the point? Now if I had said in the OP, hey folks I am definitely leaving Thailand in two months time to Latin America, then it would be a legitimate insult if I didn't. It's like calling a very out gay guy a queer. Yeah, he knows, thank you very much.

All that said, the fact that I am continuing to learn Spanish and making reasonable progress with it is certainly a sign that expatriation to Latin America is at least on my radar. If I buy an elite card, that would be a stronger sign that it isn't. I'll let y'all know if and when I ever buy an elite card. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I can't predict the future. I have determined that I would be better off moving to another expat country rather than repatriating. Repatriation is always a backup option for all of us, of course, assuming we are healthy enough to fly back.

I may also (perhaps even very probably) NEVER move from Thailand. I have never said differently. I have openly said I'm interested in buying an elite card. That would certainly mean an intention to stay, at least for the term of the card. 

Starting this thread is not only for me. It is about everyone considering expatriation to Latin America. As I've already said too many times, starting this thread is in no way any kind of personal commitment to move to Latin America and if I eventually do, I am also not committing to any particular time frame. 

So it's hard to get this persistent HECKLING over my personal timing of anything. It's like such people are trying to mock and insult me over something I have never claimed to. It's weird. It's destructive. What's the point? Now if I had said in the OP, hey folks I am definitely leaving Thailand in two months time to Latin America, then it would be a legitimate insult if I didn't. It's like calling a very out gay guy a queer. Yeah, he knows, thank you very much.

All that said, the fact that I am continuing to learn Spanish and making reasonable progress with it is certainly a sign that expatriation to Latin America is at least on my radar. If I buy an elite card, that would be a stronger sign that it isn't. I'll let y'all know if and when I ever buy an elite card. 

Oh..so it is an act of charity is it?

Goodness me..I learnt Spanish with the desire to see the country and the fact that my GF at the time..Consuelo..was holding a stiletto to my throat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh..so it is an act of charity is it?

Goodness me..I learnt Spanish with the desire to see the country and the fact that my GF at the time..Consuelo..was holding a stiletto to my throat.

Act of charity? No. 

Of course I'm interested personally but the topic is certainly not intended to be only about me which I've made clear SEVERAL times.

I've never mentioned my TIME FRAME before with a potential move to Latin America. I will now because maybe it will help stem the tide of posts trying to insult me for not going yet (or ever). Hope springs eternal. 

Then in future, I can just repeat this and say no more. It seems worth a try.

My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

Of course, it's possible it would be sooner or later, and of course never.

So the next time I get a post trying to insult me for not moving there yet, expect this reply:

If anyone thinks that is too long a time frame, go ahead and think it. It's irrelevant to me if people may think that. You're not me. It's my life, my situation, and my choices.

On Spanish, of course it helps a lot to have a talking dictionary as you had. Not my situation in Thailand. 

On that general theme, that How To Expat guy in Medellin made a recent suggestion that for earlier level Spanish speakers it's both very cheap and a good way to help your Spanish to rent a room in a house or apartment with Spanish speakers. He said that could be possible in even a good neighborhood for as little as 150 USD per month. Of course if you don't get along you may be learning some very dark words and phrases (or silence and door slamming in Spanish). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Big deal.

Are you the moderator of this thread?

I strongly suspect that you are not going anywhere-neither is/was Marcus Aurelius

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

I never committed to going anywhere. So you can strongly suspect whatever you like till the cows come home. What I don't appreciate is you and others trying to aggressively derail this thread away from the topic. Whether I personally EVER go or not and when is not the topic. 

I shall,of course,see you off when you get on the 'plane..

Fair's fair,is it not? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JaiLai said:

Ok thanks.

If there are any relevant earlier events impacting on that projection, I will post them if they come up.

Such as --

Trips there

Quitting Spanish or news of becoming more advanced

Buying elite card

Pushed out of Thailand due to visa issues

Repatriation

Moving to Cambodia or Vietnam

Cheers. 

Ethnic Blending.

A change from Thailand that I would appreciate would be the ability to "blend in" to the local population at least before opening my mouth.

This is something I've always noticed when traveling. Am I assumed to be local (before talking) or not? Of course dress matters too. I find it relaxing to be able to go around a place and not stick out. 

My appearance is Mediterranean / Southern European so when I've travelled to Spain and Italy I've blended in really well. 

The Latin American nations have different demographic profiles. 

For example Argentina is the most European, least indigenous and mestizo nation there. I blended in well there. Mexico is much more mestizo but they also have European background types, so I blended in OK there.

(Mestizo is a mix of European and Indigenous, really the look that most people in the world associate with LATINOS.)

Colombia has an interesting mix. 25 percent African origin but mostly on the coasts. That's much higher than in Mexico. The majority mestizo but like Mexico also some European. So it may depend on where you are in Colombia. Of course if you move to a smaller town or city, you'd probably become known more personally by lots of locals as a foreigner anyway.

It's something to notice when traveling to a place. Maybe some people like being very visible all the time as an outsider. I don't. 

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Whens the start date of the 2 to 3 years?

LOL, brilliant post.  We shall organize a ticker tape parade along the baht bus route to send him off.

A sayonara committee will see him off the at airport with a uniform for his new home.

image.jpeg.7e7a906a4a2d5bbf2e0b195d20d02e72.jpeg

The bad news is, he will have click baited this thread up to several thousand pages by then!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cheap Charlies? Not sure such insults are necessary

Cheap Charlie is hardly an insult.  To the contrary it is a badge of accomplishment worn by many value shoppers who think they are beating the system, and many will proudly and self-deprecatingly refer to themselves by this.  There was even a very popular bar by this name for years in Bangkok.  So ease up on the fake news.

Edited by grifbel