Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

The visa system in Mexico is surprisingly confusing.

Look at 10 sources and you'll likely see 10 different spins on it.

So it's not only Thailand.

Anyway, I have managed to glean this interesting info from a video interview with a Mexican immigration lawyer (and other sources as well).

-- Mexico had a historically major change in immigration law in 2012

-- The changes were so big that a significant portion of those changes from back in 2012 have not even been implemented yet!

-- Amplifying what I've heard from multiple sources, each Mexican embassy and consulate abroad may do things very differently. Sometimes to the extreme. Like having very different financial requirements and means of proving them from one place to the next.

-- New info: You are free to apply for a visa, including temporary or permanent residence at ANY Mexican embassy or consulate anywhere in the world. They might not know how to process your request but you are allowed to apply. That means as a U.S. citizen for example, you are free to apply in Thailand, in Argentina, in France, or at any consulate in the U.S. You are not restricted based on your passport of current country of residence. That's interesting to this topic because that would mean people living in Thailand might want to check out the Mexican embassy in Bangkok first. People can "shop around" to different consulates. You can ask them for their rules and if you don't like what you hear, you can ask other offices. You do need to be there in person for a personal interview though. 

-- The rules in Mexico, unlike abroad are (according to that lawyer) very consistently applied. However, catch 22, generally you can't apply for a Mexican visa in Mexico.

-- Clever exception not usually used. You can enter on a 6 month tourist visa and stay the full months and then show up the day after 6 months and say I am out of status, I now want to apply for a temporary or permanent visa. Believe it or not, they are required to process your application, apparently they won't send you to a Mexican hellhole prison, but there will be a small overstay fine. Not for most people but still interesting.

-- Trouble in not paradise Part One: As many know Mexico recently made a major political change. What that means is that at any time the major immigration law changes made in 2012 could be massively changed again. 

-- Trouble in not paradise Part Two: The Mexican government is not in synch with Washington. They are supporting the Maduro government in Venezuela unlike most of Latin America. They are (understandably) angry with the rhetoric coming from the white house about Mexico and Mexicans. What this means, opines that Mexican immigration lawyer, is that sometimes some Mexican officials seeing American nationals apply for residence in Mexico might just not always be fully professional in their processing. Remember all applicants are subject to a personal interview. The Mexican people doing the interviews are human beings. They are not immune having political feelings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seasia said:

You are welcome to your opinion of course.

I think there are some interesting thoughts/opinions and also some genuine contributors.

If you think the information here is of so poor quality why do you post?

I am truly interested in moving, using a variety of sources to learn more.

Where else would you suggest I look ?

Yes, of course. If people have sources that they find particularly useful and on topic to expatriation to the various Latin American nations, by all means, post the links!

I am hearing that a lot of this talk is happening on Facebook. I have resisted having a FB page though. So FB links too if you have good ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I was reading, don't remember where that Mexico has a million Americans retired there and they have a goal of 5 million. 

That doesn't sound right at all. I've heard the million number many times. I assumed it meant all Americans, not only retired ones. It could also be many dual American-Mexican nationals. Also, many Americans living illegally there. On expired visas. Then there are the visa runners, how can you count them as residents, and word is in recent times they are cracking down on that practice rather forcefully. 

21 hours ago, seasia said:

You are welcome to your opinion of course.

I think there are some interesting thoughts/opinions and also some genuine contributors.

If you think the information here is of so poor quality why do you post?

I am truly interested in moving, using a variety of sources to learn more.

Where else would you suggest I look ?

Why don't you do a google search?  The search "retire latin america" yields 12 million hits and the first page alone has more useful and structured information than the 60+ pages here.

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Not sure you need to resort to name calling and harrassment of people with different opinions.  You have no monopoly on information or opinions and people can post what they like.  If you are uncomfortable with that, maybe you should open up a private website which you patrol and where you act as a content controller.

Name calling and harassment? I really don't think so.

In any case you got the little rant off your chest. Enjoy.

Now do you actually have any interest in the TOPIC here?

If so, please post on the TOPIC here.

Not sure you need to resort to name calling and harrassment of people with different opinions.  You have no monopoly on information or opinions and people can post what they like.  If you are uncomfortable with that, maybe you should open up a private website which you patrol and where you act as a content controller.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JaiLai said:

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Of course you do as you're one of the people that has come on here, again and again, with clearly no interest in the topic whatsoever, but rather an interest in attacking the value of the topic even existing. To you as well -- have you got anything to post that is ON TOPIC? 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK. I admit it. I find this guy hilarious. He's got a Medellin channel  and he's also on topic, so here's a taste.

Do YOU have anything to post on topic, which I will remind you is, "Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes" and not, "Americans on Social Security Moving to Medellin".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Do YOU have anything to post on topic, which I will remind you is, "Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes" and not, "Americans on Social Security Moving to Medellin".

Could you just remind me who is the author of this thread?

7 minutes ago, grifbel said:

It's on topic. Medellin has become a very popular expat destination. I never said this was only limited to posting information about expats in the destinations if they have come from Thailand. That would be a plus but not required to be on topic. But you're not really interested in the Latin America topic at all, right? To add, the majority of expats in Thailand are not super wealthy. Nations in Latin America with doable visas for most that are affordable on basic pension incomes fits that typical Thailand expat demographic quite well. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The visa system in Mexico is surprisingly confusing.

Look at 10 sources and you'll likely see 10 different spins on it.

So it's not only Thailand.

Anyway, I have managed to glean this interesting info from a video interview with a Mexican immigration lawyer (and other sources as well).

-- Mexico had a historically major change in immigration law in 2012

-- The changes were so big that a significant portion of those changes from back in 2012 have not even been implemented yet!

-- Amplifying what I've heard from multiple sources, each Mexican embassy and consulate abroad may do things very differently. Sometimes to the extreme. Like having very different financial requirements and means of proving them from one place to the next.

-- New info: You are free to apply for a visa, including temporary or permanent residence at ANY Mexican embassy or consulate anywhere in the world. They might not know how to process your request but you are allowed to apply. That means as a U.S. citizen for example, you are free to apply in Thailand, in Argentina, in France, or at any consulate in the U.S. You are not restricted based on your passport of current country of residence. That's interesting to this topic because that would mean people living in Thailand might want to check out the Mexican embassy in Bangkok first. People can "shop around" to different consulates. You can ask them for their rules and if you don't like what you hear, you can ask other offices. You do need to be there in person for a personal interview though. 

-- The rules in Mexico, unlike abroad are (according to that lawyer) very consistently applied. However, catch 22, generally you can't apply for a Mexican visa in Mexico.

-- Clever exception not usually used. You can enter on a 6 month tourist visa and stay the full months and then show up the day after 6 months and say I am out of status, I now want to apply for a temporary or permanent visa. Believe it or not, they are required to process your application, apparently they won't send you to a Mexican hellhole prison, but there will be a small overstay fine. Not for most people but still interesting.

-- Trouble in not paradise Part One: As many know Mexico recently made a major political change. What that means is that at any time the major immigration law changes made in 2012 could be massively changed again. 

-- Trouble in not paradise Part Two: The Mexican government is not in synch with Washington. They are supporting the Maduro government in Venezuela unlike most of Latin America. They are (understandably) angry with the rhetoric coming from the white house about Mexico and Mexicans. What this means, opines that Mexican immigration lawyer, is that sometimes some Mexican officials seeing American nationals apply for residence in Mexico might just not always be fully professional in their processing. Remember all applicants are subject to a personal interview. The Mexican people doing the interviews are human beings. They are not immune having political feelings.

The difference between Mexico and Thailand is very simple to explain: Thailand right now is under a military regime, however parliament is intact, recently we had elections. The military has no ill intent towards the population (or foreigners).

Mexico is ruled by "The Mob", or bluntly: by the mafia.

Why a westerner in his sane mind want to settle there is beyond me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Enki said:

The difference between Mexico and Thailand is very simple to explain: Thailand right now is under a military regime, however parliament is intact, recently we had elections. The military has no ill intent towards the population (or foreigners).

Mexico is ruled by "The Mob", or bluntly: by the mafia.

Why a westerner in his sane mind want to settle there is beyond me.

Have you travelled much in Mexico?

It doesn't really matter what you think.

Mexico attracts very large numbers of western expats whether you think they're all insane or not.

Nobody here is trying to sugarcoat things.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2019/04/record-number-of-americans-want-to-become-expats-where-else-in-mexico/

Record number of Americans want to become Expats… Where else? In Mexico!

Mexico still has cartel violence but some areas are much safer than others.

There was a recent very major change in governments so a left wing populist is now in power which adds an extra measure of uncertainty to both Mexicans and foreigners living there.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Of course you do as you're one of the people that has come on here, again and again, with clearly no interest in the topic whatsoever, but rather an interest in attacking the value of the topic even existing. To you as well -- have you got anything to post that is ON TOPIC? 

YES - don't move to Latin America, Thailand is great!

After thorough research i have conducted for years, this is my findings...

Any questions pls ask, i'll be more than happy to answer.

Thank you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Thank you.

That's the answer for YOU.

That is not the answer for everyone.

Especially people that for a variety of reasons will be leaving Thailand, whether they really want to or not.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's the answer for YOU.

That is not the answer for everyone.

Especially people that for a variety of reasons will be leaving Thailand, whether they really want to or not.

I only care about ME.

Who can answer for everyone, you?

• Like 1

You imply that you have done extensive travel in Mexico.  When was the last time you lived there?  You wrote, "Have you traveled much in Mexico? (Unless you have) It doesn't really matter what you think."

No mystery. I've traveled many places in different regions in Mexico before I moved to Thailand. Not recently. I never lived there and never said that I had. I do know expats that have lived there. The only somewhat longer stay I had there was in Puerto Vallarta for about six weeks. I do understand why so many expats are attracted to Mexico. I have not however been to Queretaro which seems to me to be the best current choice for safety, good value, weather, food, infrastructure, and cultural attractions if you don't need to be at the beach.  

I will add that a reason I didn't consider moving to Mexico before moving to Thailand is that back then I couldn't qualify for their visa. Now I think that I can so Mexico is one of the countries that makes sense to be on my consideration list if I leave Thailand.

Cheers

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I only care about ME.

Who can answer for everyone, you?

Great. So why hang out on this thread as you've already rejected the option?

Of course I can't answer for everyone. What a stupid comment.

Deciding on where to live is a personal decision for everyone. It's not a simple matter of right or wrong choices or one size fits all.

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Thank you.

I'm curious, in Thailand I have encountered a few clazee farangs, I believe some should be medicated.

Would you say LATAM attracts more of these mental misfits or same same as Thailand ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

I'm curious, in Thailand I have encountered a few clazee farangs, I believe some should be medicated.

Would you say LATAM attracts more of these mental misfits or same same as Thailand ?

I don't recognise the word "clazee" - sorry.

I've never been to Latin America ( if that's what LATAM means ) so can't comment. Thailand has it's fair share of mental misfits that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

If topic of this thread is any indication I'd say the cheap charlies who can't afford Thailand are looking to Latin America.  Americans don't go to Mexico for the fine wines and cultural opportunities.  

If topic of this thread is any indication I'd say the cheap charlies who can't afford Thailand are looking to Latin America.  Americans don't go to Mexico for the fine wines and cultural opportunities.  
Not Mexico or Colombia for wine. No. But Chile and Argentina yes. Interestingly Queretaro MX is in the middle of a major wine producing region though. Not sure about quality though. There is mass production of sparkling wine there.

Cheap Charlies? Not sure such insults are necessary. Sure of course many expats are seeking a better quality of life for Iess money in Latin America and other regions as well.

That seems to be a particular appeal of Colombia currently perhaps largely because their currency is so weak. Mexico has a weakish currency too but overall its more expensive than Colombia. My current favorite place there Puerto Vallarta is too expensive for me for example.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not Mexico or Colombia for wine. No. But Chile and Argentina yes. Interestingly Queretaro MX is in the middle of a major wine producing region though. Not sure about quality though. There is mass production of sparkling wine there.

Cheap Charlies? Not sure such insults are necessary. Sure of course many expats are seeking a better quality of life for Iess money in Latin America and other regions as well.

That seems to be a particular appeal of Colombia currently perhaps largely because their currency is so weak. Mexico has a weakish currency too but overall its more expensive than Colombia. My current favorite place there Puerto Vallarta is too expensive for me for example.

Argentina would be my choice as the USD has doubled in value there in 5 years.  If it keeps going I could rent a mansion with my social security.   My mistake about the Chilean wines I'm drinking one right now and it's excellent as they have some kind of free trade wine deal with Thailand.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Argentina would be my choice as the USD has doubled in value there in 5 years.  If it keeps going I could rent a mansion with my social security.   My mistake about the Chilean wines I'm drinking one right now and it's excellent as they have some kind of free trade wine deal with Thailand.  

The retirement visa rules for Argentina are extremely difficult. They want so many things apostilled that it isn't even funny. This would definitely be even more of an issue for expats coming from Thailand (police report). Thailand is not in the treaty. For those people here interested in Argentina, you may want to contact the Argentine embassy here to see if they can help you. But the documents need to be very fresh and if it goes stale, you need to start all over from outside Thailand. Good luck with that. Thing is lawyers can help but their help is very limited in gathering the documents. 

I have also rejected Ecuador which I can easily qualify for but their visa process is just too much of a headache. 

I freely admit that I prioritize easier to obtain visas that have a path to permanent residence more than most. It could be a reaction to Thailand going sour on me, visa-wise. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1