Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

When u going?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Never. That's what you want to hear right.
I wouldn't make a special trip from Thailand. I'm implying if you are already in Mexico that to me it sounds like a worthwhile trip. Speaking of trips. Why do people that are clearly not interested in the topic bother to read and post in it. I find that sick behavior. I do post a lot but only in topics that actually interest me.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

According to his last post is heading back to US, maybe  next month.
Gave his reasons.

Enjoyed his posts and wherever he ends up hope he carries on posting.

Comes across as a decent guy.
Very decent and very honest. It takes cajones to be that open and honest on this forum with the endless stream of ill intentioned heckling.

• Like 2

Just now, Luckysilk said:

I was thinking he was recuperating in hospital after being mugged for his kidney.

Captain Jack along with his pals Captain's WF Call and Augustus McCrae are about to embark on an epic journey driving Texas shorthorns to Montana...I await future accounts of his journey with bated breath.

Sorry but it is incredible to me although on here not surprising that those who are looking at alternatives to Thailand seem to get attacked.

Latin America not a  natural choice for me and doubt I would go live there however I have found it a fascinating thread.

I am sure I could quite happily spend some time there.

Helps that I am not a negative person.

The countries that I have looked at in the region are generous with tourist visas, as a UK passport holder I can do up to 180 days in 3 of the countries I have looked in to.

Costs seem OK/acceptable.

Food styles seem OK.

I like Latino style music, a minor point maybe.

Flights  from Europe keenly priced.

Already booked 4 flights heading for a 5 month stay in Europe, do not wish to change those.

If I had not would likely book a visit to Panama City and Columbia.

Another time.

All advance preparation for Plan B.

It is good to look in to options.

• Like 2

I have already addressed this several times.I will no longer humor ill intentioned pest type posts on this thread.
Read the thread and you will have your answer.
I am not obligated to answer the same type of pest posts 100 times. Thus I won't.

I agree Jingthing , i was irritated when i read this rude,inappropriate response to your post.
I’m not thinking of leaving asia- nevertheless, I have found, particularly, Captain Jacks and your posts really interesting,intelligent and inspiring,thank you.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He said he is repatriating to Austin Texas. Good on him. Great place. I can't afford it or indeed anyplace even a tiny bit decent in the US.

wow. that sounds great. I like Captain Jack. I hope he OK there with the transplanted Californians.

• Like 1

Yes, well I have to return back to Europe for personal reasons after 9 years in Thailand , it doesn't mean I will not be back. 

Maybe after a year in Europe, 6 months in Colombia is tempting , then back to EU for another 6 months, then return to Thailand where I have my belongings. But they are being looked after. 

• Like 2

I agree Jingthing , i was irritated when i read this rude,inappropriate response to your post.

I’m not thinking of leaving asia- nevertheless, I have found, particularly, Captain Jacks and your posts really interesting,intelligent and inspiring,thank you.

The thing is I think it's an obvious fact that there are lots of people leaving Thailand or considering leaving now. No joke. Visa changes. For the usual personal reasons of course but also in a proactive way or in a more urgent way as we've already heard a number of sad personal accounts. So when you leave if you're still alive you need to go somewhere else. For perhaps most that's the home country. After that other nations in Asean are a popular option for people that are already acclimated to life in Asean.

But those aren't the only choices.

There is southern and Eastern Europe and then there is Latin America.

Of course Americans and Canadians are likely to already have personal experiences in Latin America and probably already gave an idea whether they can picture themselves living there or not.

But not exclusively. I know for a fact that there are many European expats in Latin America as well. Lots of Spaniards and Portuguese obviously but others as well.

This topic is of course limited to Latin America.

• Like 1

The thing is I think it's an obvious fact that there are lots of people leaving Thailand or considering leaving now. No joke. Visa changes. For the usual personal reasons of course but also in a proactive way or in a more urgent way as we've already heard a number of sad personal accounts. So when you leave if you're still alive you need to go somewhere else. For perhaps most that's the home country. After that other nations in Asean are a popular option for people that are already acclimated to life in Asean. 
But those aren't the only choices.
There is southern and Eastern Europe and then there is Latin America.
Of course Americans and Canadians are likely to already have personal experiences in Latin America and probably already gave an idea whether they can picture themselves living there or not.
But not exclusively. I know for a fact that there are many European expats in Latin America as well. Lots of Spaniards and Portuguese obviously but others as well.
This topic is of course limited to Latin America.

And of course a huge ( largest outside of Japan) Japanese community in Brazil so Latin America has something to appeal to Asians as well as US/Canadians and Europeans.

I personally don’t think I’ll ever set foot in LA again but if I did it would probably be Brazil, Mexico, Chile ,Uruguay and Argentina in that order.

Don’t envisage retiring in any of those countries ( probably back to Blighty if things fail here ) but these are the ones I’ve visited, and liked, and could do a few months vacation quite easily ( that reminds me , what were last weeks lottery numbers ? ).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Escobar wannabes, express kidnappings, scopolamine, armed gangs, fake cops, terrorism threats, street crime, extortion, muggings, pickpockets, don’t go out at night, drugs, avoid using your cell phone in public, political instability and the list goes on and on and on.

Sounds like my last night out at the 'Two Stars' in Lima, Peru.

It was bloody awesome!

On 4/3/2019 at 12:30 AM, CaptainJack said:

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to try and recap my last experiences here in CDMX and my future plans. 

CDMX is an amazing city.  It is Cosmopolitan and there is always something going on.  The weather is really nice and the cost of living less than the USA. 

There is one big drawback I see, and that is the expatriate community here are all very young.  There is not much opportunity to meet many older westerners here.  My go to group I have been a member of, Internations, which has been a great resource for meeting other western expats here is comprised of mostly 20 and 30 year olds.  They even have social events that are age restricted. 

But, to this being my last post regarding moving to a Latin American country. I have decided to repatriate back to Austin,  Texas.  I made this decision as I have been gathering information on the issues of repatriation, should I make that choice.   

Why have I decided now to go home?  There are a few, but important reasons.  At my age, I have found it really difficult to make western friends here.  For that matter, Bkk was not easy.  My ability to reconnect with social circles back home is supported by many organizations.   I have grown very weiry of the social isolation.   I did not have that problem in Austin. I can rejoin the social groups and there are still people there I know.  And they are in my age range.  Another is learning Spanish.  I don't think I am wired to really learn it fast enough to be functional in a Latin Country.  If you don't know Spanish,  I'd say think seriously about not moving here.  

But the big reason is about reentry in American society and their rules.  My research and now actually calling back to the USA and talking with car dealers and apartment leasing agents have supported what I read from expats that have gone home.  The problem is simple.  The longer you are gone, and the more ties you cut, the more difficult it will be, if not approaching Impossible. 

I never changed my financial matters to Thailand.   I simply opened a Thai bank account and got a debit card and transferred money every month to live on.  That was my smart move.  

Because I had not intended on living back in the USA,  I sold my car.  I read and find out that because I don't have a physical address (apartment) to list, I may have problems obtaining financing.   I won't know for sure until I return. 

Then there is renting a small studio apartment.   I may have problems meeting their screening requirements because I won't have any verifiable recent rental history.  The proverbial chicken and egg.

This also I won't know until I return,  which is set for May 3rd.  I have a rental car for two weeks (expensive) to sort these issues out.

It was when I realized that if I were to decide to repatriate,  the longer I am away from the USA,  the harder it will be.  I decided it is better to pull the plug now then wait.   I've been gone from the USA now for 13 months.  

For those who are considering repatriation,  there are numerous web sites and stories which talk about the challenges of repatriation,  both logistically, financial and emotionally. 

In my own self assessment,  I waited to long, am too old to have decided to move to Thailand.  Some guys can do it.  I did not succeed.  Now? To try and move to Latin America, at 66 and single is just another recipe for disaster.   At least it feels like it would me for me.  Oh, my success at traveling all over this planet I now understand does not translate into being a successful expatriate.  Another lesson learned.

My future plans? Well, I learned a lot the less then a year I did living in Bangkok.  I don't need all that much to be happy. A small studio apartment in a good community, a decent and reliable used car and the minimum in furnishings.   And after awhile, being settled and not such a basket case with all these changes?

One other thing I think out to be a "sticky" topic on TV.  That would be "Why you should not consider moving to Thailand after 60 unless you have 100k USA dollars to spend ".  Money is everything here, especially if you are older.   One needs to be able to pay their way in every aspect.   This rule, I think applies to moving to any foreign country.   Age, well, it is our biggest challenge,  especially when taking on a challenge like this.

Who knows? Maybe I'll come back for a long visit, especially if Thailand makes visiting as a tourist easier, and not harder.

Thats it.

Oh, I have one thing to say to the poster that ripped into me on my comparison of CDMX and Bkk.  

You called where I'm renting "a dump".

I was really happy to be able to rent that here in CDMX for what I am paying.   What gives you the right to degrade me by calling where I stay a "dump"? 

You know that old saying,  "Karma is a b**ch"! You may have your day where you are grateful to have something as nice as I have.  My "dump", is my "palace".

Good luck everyone, and thanks for your support and encouragement.....

Captain Jack......

Thanks for the update. In the short time that you have been posting, it has been a pleasure to follow your journey. I am surprised you are giving in so easily, but we are all different and doing what works for you is the right way to go. I pretty much move between 3 countries but my base is Thailand. The other 2 are where I have previously lived. It is much easier in both those places because I have life long friends and relatives, but there are so many expats in Bangkok and Pattaya that it is pretty easy to settle into a nice group of like minded guys.

Good luck and please keep posting.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I lived and worked in Brazil from around 1999 to 2006.

Brazil would issue US citizens a 3 month visa pretty easily.  You could renew it in-country for another 3, the law stating a maximum of 6 months per year.  But does that mean a 12-month period or  calendar year?  Well, they don't know either.  Once when doing a renewal this question came up and the two guys working the office (Porto Seguro) had to discuss it for a few minutes.  Certainly glad I didn't have to deal further with the bureaucracy there.  And then there was that silliness that people with US passports had to have their picture taken when entering the country.  I guess no one told them the passports had pictures in them.

Crime: was mugged in Fortaleza, more like a high school bully shakedown.  In Rio the beach areas (Copa, Ipanema, etc) are the hunting ground, people come down the hill from the favela to pursue their prey.  If you've spent time there and didn't get robbed savor you're good fortune.  I don't think I've ever heard a story about travel in Ecuador and Peru that didn't involve crime.  A 7-foot tall Norwegian guy told me a bunch of kids sat on him while several others went through his pockets.  I consider crime to be an industry in S. America, but it's dependent on tourism -- no tourists means the people have to rob each other.  I saw a report about 10 years ago (maybe on Al Jaz?) about the business of stealing, reconditioning and selling laptops in Ecuador.  Stage coach style robberies on long distance bus rides in those countries, but only the foreigners were robbed.  There were reports that in Caracas you could be mugged at the airport, within minutes of crossing the arrivals line, and this was in the days of great prosperity of El Comandante. (sarcasm)

Sort of refreshing being able to talk about this on the net.  On other travelers and expat sites (like thorntree) it would cause all sorts of humbug: if you can't say anything nice then shut up. 

Conspicuous in it's absence: no mention of Bolivia.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

I've had some basic questions about getting permanent residence in Mexico that I have failed to get answers to. The answers could be deal breakers for me and I wouldn't want to research any country further if their visa is impossible for me.

The two potential deal breakers are --

One:

I know that the financial requirements for Mexican permanent residence are showing EITHER the required pension amount or money in a bank or investment.

I would need to show money in an IRA retirement account. I still don't have the answer if that is acceptable and even if so, I would need to know their exact rules. Like how many back month statements. Are online prints OK? Do the statements need to be translated / officialized further? At least some of the consulate officers require totally absurd things from banks such as personal letters from bank officers, banks verifying the source of the deposits. Egads. Try getting that from a firm like Vanguard or Fidelity. 

Also keep in mind different embassies and consulates will have different specific requirements on that and some will be more liberal than others.

I did email an immigration lawyer about this basic question, do they accept IRA funds, just needing a yes or no answer that would take her two seconds, but she refused to answer without being paid a 120 dollar hourly fee. Ha ha. I would pay lawyers there if I know I'm eligible and I'm convinced that I need a lawyer. To pay money just to hear, no, you're ineligible, no thank you.

Two:

Need to understand their need (or not) for police record documents (officialized) from both Thailand and the USA (or whatever home country).

---------------

Well, I uncovered some clues!

A post on a Mexican expat forum (the guy had only one post) from 2014 which is horribly dated was still very interesting.

He was an American expat in Thailand on retirement extensions here.

Well, golly, he managed to get a permanent residence visa for Mexico at the Embassy of Mexico in Bangkok.

Some details --

The embassy was very helpful in preparation before the appointment.

A valid long term visa for living in Thailand currently required.

In other words they would tell tourists go back home and do it.

He didn't mention details of documents needed.

If you do get such a visa, I'm not sure how long you have until you can enter Mexico to keep it valid. That matters a lot because if you're leaving Thailand you might need a lot of time to clean up your business in Thailand before leaving.

When entering Mexico it's vitally important to know what to demand of immigration. Otherwise your permanent or temporary residence visa will be instantly void. I think what you need is a 30 day stay only, not sure the name. A normal tourist entry is longer. If you do get the wrong stamp upon entry into Mexico, you are totally screwed. It is impossible to fix. (Yes, that's worse than Thailand where stamping mistakes on entry can be fixed.)

Then once in Mexico, you must go to your local Mexican immigration office within 30 days and apply for your "card" whatever that's called. You need proof of address for that. I am not sure if a hotel or Airbnb would cut it. That sounds like it might be a problem. Getting a stable address within 30 days is a lot of time pressure! Something people would need to check on. But that's got to be a common problem that shouldn't be too hard to get an answer about.

The guy from Thailand said no further documents other than proof of address were required to get that card at the Mazatlán office.

So I had a look in the Mexico Embassy Bangkok website.

No mention on there of temporary or permanent residency visas.

But check out the application form they point to. It's in English, permanent residence is an option, and there is only a question about criminal record and no mention of required documents.

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/tailandia/index.php/2016-04-08-07-30-52/2016-04-08-07-31-38

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/images/2018/Visas/solicitudingles.pdf

The reason that I would be interested in going for an initial permanent residence vs. one year temporary residence is that the temporary ones need to be redone annually. Because of the complications I expect with my mode of financial proof -- IRA accounts, I wouldn't want to do worry about gathering all that paperwork from the U.S. annually. 

Note as another member on this forum once mentioned, sometimes people apply for a permanent residence and the embassy or consulate says, no, we'll only give you a temporary. Ugh. 

Overall, I do think Mexico is possible for a lot of people. I think the pension qualification might be a bit easier but most retired Americans make under their pension level.

Bottom line -- from what I know now -- COLOMBIA is easier, visa-wise. But Mexico still seems easier (if you qualify, in my case with funds in an IRA I'm not even sure about that) than Ecuador and Peru.

So ease of visa rankings of this group in order --

Colombia

Mexico

Peru

Ecuador

I will add that I'm not currently very interested in Peru or Ecuador so I won't be doing research on their visa situations. If I hear some major news I will post it though. If you're interested in either of those or any other Latin American nations, you're invited to post what you learn, especially information related to coming from Thailand (possible use of their embassies here / specific rules for police record from Thailand reports, etc.). 

Edited by Jingthing

Back to destinations in Mexico, always a personal decision.

Another option worth mentioning is Guanajuato in the same region as San Miguel de Allende.

Guanajuato is a smaller city dominated by student culture that also attracts many tourists, domestic and international.

It's another hilly city though with better weather than Xalapa. 

Guanajuato has been seen as similar to San Miguel but way fewer expats. Many people including many Mexicans feel the gringo influence is too strong in San Miguel creating a fake tourism atmosphere and inflated prices. So more expats fleeing that are moving to Guanajuato. So that means of course that Guanajuato being so small is at risk of being San Miguel-ed over time. I would think that is inevitable and that it might not even take a very long time. 

Contrast to Queretaro in the same larger region that is actually a real BIG CITY that is dominated by international industry, domestic tourism, and an unusually high per capita income for any Mexican city.

Also very few expats relative to the size of the population and most of those expats in the suburbs there for work assignments (large numbers from Asia meaning they bring their food).

My point being I can't imagine Queretaro being very much gringo-ized in the manner of San Miguel. It will continue to be what it is, famous and well regarded in Mexico, and largely off the radar to retirement and digital nomad type potential expats.

I was concerned about whether living there without a car was realistic. I've seen conflicting information about that. My current understanding is that if you live in the working expat popular suburbs, yes you'd need a car, but if you live in or close enough the very charming central colonial district, you would not. In certain locations, you can walk to lots of places and there are also buses and also Ubers. 

From my current POV, Queretaro and Guadalajara, are in the leader board.

Queretaro is a lot more of a traditional, conservative city though while Guadalajara I think is more polluted. Being functional in Spanish is probably more important in Queretaro than Guadalajara.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Help!

I'm not finding actually recently very active Mexico expat forums yet that aren't part of the international chain forums.

I haven't really looked much at the international chain forums though.

If someone knows of actually CURRENTLY active Mexico specific expat forums, please PM me with the links.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:22 AM, Jingthing said:

That's rather dated info.

Afraid not.  The article is only a few months old.  Who to believe.... a major international news source, or your ongoing unsubstantiated hearsay?

Crime flows in waves in Mexico and with the economic turmoil caused by the new left wing socialist regime, expect another tsunami of crime, just like the early 2000s

Just reminded me of a little Mexican story from way back.
Around the late 80’s a couple of colleagues of mine were working in Toluca, one Sunday ( rest day) they decided to have a drive out to a nearby ( 2 hrs away) tourist attraction, the old silver mining city of Taxco.
While driving there, on some really winding mountain roads, the driver was distracted by a huge lizard in the road and went over the edge !!
They slid down the gravel hillside for a few yards and hit a tree !, lucky as they would have certainly had died if not for the tree.
They scrambled back up and managed to hitch a ride back to Toluca, went to the rental company and explained the situation.
Rental company took them back with a tow truck following behind.
They recognised the spot due to tire tracks going over the edge but when they stopped and looked over the car had disappeared, never to be seen again !!

Bet that looked good on their expense report !!

( sorry for the self indulgence JT, back as you were [emoji846])

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Afraid not.  The article is only a few months old.  Who to believe.... a major international news source, or your ongoing unsubstantiated hearsay?

Crime flows in waves in Mexico and with the economic turmoil caused by the new left wing socialist regime, expect another tsunami of crime, just like the early 2000s

OK. I've already rejected the place for my own purposes for other reasons. 

I've mentioned before that I think the impact of the new leadership in Mexico is something that needs to be watched, but not interested in hearing knee jerk red baiting either.

Expats aren't there to be political. Sometime the local political changes, right or left, mess up expats lives and sometimes they don't. 

Safety is always a big concern.

That's one reason why Queretaro seems to me to be worthy of serious consideration even if it lacks some of the excitement of a place like Guadalajara.

I don't see any reason yet to think Queretaro's safe Mexican city reputation will be threatened, but of course I acknowledge it is possible.

For example Medellin Colombia had enjoyed great press in recent years for moving from the most dangerous to reasonably safe, but recently there has been somewhat of a backtrack on that. Sure, things can change for good or ill. 

To add, Medellin Colombia is still on my list, specifically Envigado (adjacent to Medellin) and Laureles. I'm just not as scared off by some crime as some. What are my alternatives if leaving Thailand? "Safe" Cambodia, and "safe" (ha ha) lower income urban areas of the USA? Or perhaps some small backwater town where the locals will be checking me for horns on my head. I think it's funny that so many Americans in particular are so afraid of crime in Latin America considering the crime and gun violence issues in the U.S. Maybe they just don't like crime if it's Spanish. 

I will add and this was years ago I had a friend that had lived in nice areas in both Mexico City and Guadalajara. She was young, pretty, blonde and blue eyes so got a lot of unwanted attention in Mexico. She did have a horror story from Guadalajara. Some kind of large police raid of some cartel people in her apartment building. I don't remember the details but yeah she was freaked out. Who wouldn't be? 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's one reason why Queretaro seems to me to be worthy of serious consideration even if it lacks some of the excitement of a place like Guadalajara.

I don't see any reason yet to think Queretaro's safe Mexican city reputation will be threatened,

http://sanmigueltimes.com/2017/06/queretaro-faces-wave-of-violence/

and more

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/mexicos-santa-rosa-de-lima-cartel-el-marro/

The Santa Rosa de Lima Cartel has been behind increasing violence in the central Mexican state of Guanajuato over the last year — amid a bitter clash with the Jalisco Cartel.

Are you just randomly naming places until you find one that nothing sticks to?  You are gonna be right sooner or later.....not!

Am guessing pin the tail on the donkey is not one of your strengths.

Edited by grifbel

24 minutes ago, grifbel said:

http://sanmigueltimes.com/2017/06/queretaro-faces-wave-of-violence/

Are you just randomly naming places until you find one that nothing sticks to?  You are gonna be right sooner or later.....not!

Am guessing pin the tail on the donkey was not one of your strengths.

Wow, dude.

Lets post the crime blotter for Baltimore or St. Louis, Mo.

There are murders in every big city.

I find your post silly. 

Read the article. 

3 deaths

“Apaseo el grande”, Guanajuato is not even in the STATE of Queretaro, much less the city!

Sounds like possibly cartel violence.

The city of Queretaro is known for very little cartel violence.

The other two actually in the CITY of Queretaro --

Love crime of passion

A man who murdered his cousin.

Really your attempt at sensationalism has absolutely nothing to do with the safety of expats in the city of Queretaro. BTW, yes they have slums there. Expats don't live in those or go there. 

You're going to have to do a lot better than that to convince me (or anyone) that the city of Queretaro isn't reasonably safe for both Mexicans and foreigners. 

I have not randomly picked Queretaro. It's been on my radar for awhile. It really offers a lot --

Modern infrastructure (transport, internet, etc.)

The safest big city in Mexico, crime-wise

Good hospitals (people with serious problems living in San Miguel go there)

World Heritage level central colonial district

Large international airport

Great restaurants and enough nightlife unless you live for nightlife

Considered the most progressive city in Mexico -- not so much about social issues but economic progress

Very large Mexican middle class there, which makes it maybe too boring, but that's where you get more safety as well

Moderate weather all year (for the most part)

Big box stores, big city shopping, etc.

People known to be friendly but busy. (People have jobs.)

Not the cheapest place to live in Mexico but not among the most expensive either. A case of maybe worth the extra money.

It's one of those places that may not be the most exciting to visit as a tourist, but are good places to live.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1