Big Joke: promises "AI" in four months to keep the bad guys out

webfact

Last week coming in through Swampy the Immigration Desks all had fingerprint reader and cameras installed, but not yet working. This is what he is probably talking about. These systems are in use all over Asia and frankly it's astonishing that Thailand is just starting to get them now. 
I am registered for E-Channel in Hong Kong and it takes me less than 30 seconds to get through Immigration. Thailand should copy this model to allow those who are frequent travelers and already vetted to bypass the standard lines.
Maybe in the next century. The automatic gates for locals don't work most of the time also. Guess where the money goes?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was going to say, this OP topic on "intelligence" and the accompanying photo showing a very unfriendly looking bunch was like an engraved invitation for a ton of snide comments... And sure enough, the invitation has been well accepted!  :tongue:

All I can say further is, if they actually want to stop the floods of Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar citizens who seem to be the ones most getting scooped up in the weekly Immigration X-Ray Foreigner raids, they'd better be installing and using this new technology at places other than the international airports... Because the L, C, M folks aren't arriving via business class on Thai Air!

Exactly this, biggest percent (by long shot) of 'bad guys' as they label them are via land borders and illegal crossing points which immigration have their fingers in running, got a very well known one at poipet .

Condo I stayed at couple years ago had chinese guy who run a karaoke bar use rooms he owned for chinese illegals he dealing with, very dodgy character but never saw him have any issues or rooms raided, seem miss the real bad guys if got plenty money and just hassle the not so bad guys and empty their wallets before deporting .

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

China is already using AI for face recognition, it is most likely that Thailand is buying their software.

Well I can see a problem - after all we all look the same...

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was going to say, this OP topic on "intelligence" and the accompanying photo showing a very unfriendly looking bunch was like an engraved invitation for a ton of snide comments... And sure enough, the invitation has been well accepted!  :tongue:

All I can say further is, if they actually want to stop the floods of Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar citizens who seem to be the ones most getting scooped up in the weekly Immigration X-Ray Foreigner raids, they'd better be installing and using this new technology at places other than the international airports... Because the L, C, M folks aren't arriving via business class on Thai Air!

I think there may be a little confusion as to who the "bad guys" are but the group photo may be a lead.

9 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

fluent Thai speaker that has lived here for 20+ years

So why did he never apply for a work permit ? Sounds crazy to me, or mad if you like. 

Archived