Big Joke: promises "AI" in four months to keep the bad guys out

webfact

Big Joke: promises "AI" in four months to keep the bad guys out

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Naewna

Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn told his men yesterday that they would have "artificial intelligence" to help them at airports. 

He said a new system was being introduced to help combat the problem of illegal entry and illegal workers. This would also help with other associated crimes like human trafficking and prostitution. 

He promised the new system would be up and running in four months time. 

The top cop - known as Big Joke - told an immigration training seminar in Don Muang that introducing new technology was important in the battle against transnational crime.

Many workers were coming to Thailand illegally and he conceded that many Thais were also working illegally abroad. 

Naewna seemed to imply that the technology would be used at Thailand's airports. 

It was not clear as to what it entailed exactly or whether it would be introduced at other border posts. 

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-05

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said a new system was being introduced to help combat the problem of illegal entry and illegal workers. This would also help with other associated crimes like human trafficking and prostitution. 

Who are they buying it from? China?

Big Joke and his crew might be purged after the election because he's causing too much trouble .Power has gone to his small brain.

I hope the dreadful police goon  photo above goes viral.

Looks like a pic out of a Nth Korean Kim Day  horror parade.

I had a very close friend get nailed yesterday for no work permit. He spent the whole day being detained at Immi copping the good cop/bad cop routine and being questioned endlessly. He did find some useful info I thought though. 

He was shown that the the headshot that is taken in arrival and departure for every entry he has made is on file and comes up with his information when entered. So maybe this ‘AI’ is a legitimate thing as it may have an endless database, headshots at least, to draw from.

Furthermore the dreaded 90 day reporting is linked to your visa expiry. They want your address so when your visa expires they know exactly where to find you (in theory) and when it becomes (financially?) viable to arrest/extort you, and most likely a number of overstayers in your area/building, they can coordinate it easily.

Take this as what you will but my mate is a fluent Thai speaker that has lived here for 20+ years and this is what he relayed to me last night 

I was going to say, this OP topic on "intelligence" and the accompanying photo showing a very unfriendly looking bunch was like an engraved invitation for a ton of snide comments... And sure enough, the invitation has been well accepted!  :tongue:

All I can say further is, if they actually want to stop the floods of Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar citizens who seem to be the ones most getting scooped up in the weekly Immigration X-Ray Foreigner raids, they'd better be installing and using this new technology at places other than the international airports... Because the L, C, M folks aren't arriving via business class on Thai Air!

4 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had a very close friend get nailed yesterday for no work permit. He spent the whole day being detained at Immi copping the good cop/bad cop routine and being questioned endlessly. He did find some useful info I thought though. 

He was shown that the the headshot that is taken in arrival and departure for every entry he has made is on file and comes up with his information when entered. So maybe this ‘AI’ is a legitimate thing as it may have an endless database, headshots at least, to draw from.

Furthermore the dreaded 90 day reporting is linked to your visa expiry. They want your address so when your visa expires they know exactly where to find you (in theory) and when it becomes (financially?) viable to arrest/extort you, and most likely a number of overstayers in your area/building, they can coordinate it easily.

Take this as what you will but my mate is a fluent Thai speaker that has lived here for 20+ years and this is what he relayed to me last night 

So in the end, what did they do, or are they going to do, with him for having no work permit???  It kind of sounds from your post above that he ended up being released and not sent to IDC?

They should use AI so that we don't have to update our TM30 everytime we reenter Thailand.

If they can't do a simple thing like that, how are they going to keep bad guys out?

16 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

That is what's known as a 'database' - nothing to do with AI....

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I want to comment here on what I think he is talking about but I am not sure what AI would do in regards to people entering and leaving the country. Is the meaning related to some kind of biometric thing? 

Oh that thing which china already uses everywhere?

I've gotten the impression that AI has become some kind of fancy catch-word in Thai government circles.... that seems to encompass any variety of technology things... and may or may not actually involve what really is AI technology...  Similar to what Pedro and Snow Leopard are mentioning above.

I've long gotten past expecting them to be technically or linguistically precise -- in a land where the solution to urban flooding is to use propeller boats to push the water faster down river, and where the solution to air pollution is to have fire trucks spray water into the air....  :whistling:

50 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

So your close friend was illegally working for more than 20 years?

What was he working as?

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Oh that thing which china already uses everywhere?

China is already using AI for face recognition, it is most likely that Thailand is buying their software.

Archived