Big Joke: promises "AI" in four months to keep the bad guys out

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Most likely.

The current regime wishes to go in the direction of the Chinese govt "see all know all" model which is in essence a state that monitors and controls its population.  Get ready for the Thai version of Orwell's 1984 or would that be 2527...

52 minutes ago, EricTh said:

China is already using AI for face recognition, it is most likely that Thailand is buying their software.

birds of the feather stick together.....monkey see monkey do

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

That is what's known as a 'database' - nothing to do with AI....

We have a database already. Don't we? Prawit promised thirteen months ago it would be ready in six months, so it must be working right now? He wouldn't be lying to us, would he?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

1 minute ago, klauskunkel said:

The police is getting A.I., that's great.

Is that going to assist in filling out an Interpol arrest request for Red Bull Boy?

No? Wrong program, huh?

Yeah, you must be thinking of a comedy programme.

2 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Thailand wished to go in the direction of the Chinese govt "see all know all" model which is in essence a state that monitors and controls its population.  Get ready for the Thai version of 1984.

I've been ready  a long time. As a sidenote, this is not Thai/Chinese specific. A large western country and a large continent south from here, do, and have done so for some time.

Just now, Vacuum said:
10 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Thailand wished to go in the direction of the Chinese govt "see all know all" model which is in essence a state that monitors and controls its population.  Get ready for the Thai version of 1984.

I've been ready  a long time. As a sidenote, this is not Thai/Chinese specific. A large western country and a large continent south from here, do, and have done so for some time.

This has been happening since June 2014.

"Eating a sandwich with political intent" was the made up charge:

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

AI ?? - Given the task sounds more like a type of visual recognition software, or "gate recognition", both of which the Chinese are heavily into the development of.

I don't think Thailand has the skills to develop their own AI technology.

It's most likely they are importing the tech from China which is using this tech for security. China is at the forefront of this surveillance tech.

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had a very close friend get nailed yesterday for no work permit. He spent the whole day being detained at Immi copping the good cop/bad cop routine and being questioned endlessly. He did find some useful info I thought though. 

He was shown that the the headshot that is taken in arrival and departure for every entry he has made is on file and comes up with his information when entered. So maybe this ‘AI’ is a legitimate thing as it may have an endless database, headshots at least, to draw from.

Furthermore the dreaded 90 day reporting is linked to your visa expiry. They want your address so when your visa expires they know exactly where to find you (in theory) and when it becomes (financially?) viable to arrest/extort you, and most likely a number of overstayers in your area/building, they can coordinate it easily.

Take this as what you will but my mate is a fluent Thai speaker that has lived here for 20+ years and this is what he relayed to me last night 

I’m not disputing what you say, but surely a more efficient way than just trusting us to write down the correct address of where we are staying on the 90-day report is needed. Those up to no good will just jot down a fake/false address. But I guess that’s the ‘in theory’ aspect of your post. They are definitely getting more advanced though. Thanks for the post. 

Last week coming in through Swampy the Immigration Desks all had fingerprint reader and cameras installed, but not yet working. This is what he is probably talking about. These systems are in use all over Asia and frankly it's astonishing that Thailand is just starting to get them now. 

I am registered for E-Channel in Hong Kong and it takes me less than 30 seconds to get through Immigration. Thailand should copy this model to allow those who are frequent travelers and already vetted to bypass the standard lines.

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They've bought 1000 of this devices.

images (11).jpeg

Goes well with the Yingluck hi-tech school tabs. I still got one, good for a paperweight. As usual, made in China from the cheapest crappo parts possible. As I suspect is this AI software.

Facial recognition technology is extremely accurate these days. It's already capable of spotting you automatically as you walk down a busy street wearing sunglasses, or picking you out from among a crowd of tens of thousands cheering at a rock concert.

Won't be long before Thailand adopts this, I'm sure, just like China is doing. 

2 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Facial recognition technology is extremely accurate these days. It is capable of spotting you as you walk down a busy street wearing sunglasses, or among a crowd of thousands at a rock concert. Won't be long before Thailand adopts this, I'm sure, just like China has done. 

so your safe if you don't wear sunglasses walking down the street or attend any rock concerts

35 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I’m not disputing what you say, but surely a more efficient way than just trusting us to write down the correct address of where we are staying on the 90-day report is needed. Those up to no good will just jot down a fake/false address. But I guess that’s the ‘in theory’ aspect of your post. They are definitely getting more advanced though. Thanks for the post. 

Immigration also has your full history of visa’s re-entries and everything else . Changing passport no longer helps unless you also change your name but even then I do not know if facial recognition will not pick up on it. 

The old days of complete and utter chaos are long gone and getting tighter by day.

its not a bad thing but I wish they would cut out the crap for those who have been proven to be “approved” for example someone who runs a business for a decade should not have to submit 300 page supporting documents each and every year. 297 pages are the same every year ????

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Facial recognition technology is extremely accurate these days. It's already capable of spotting you automatically as you walk down a busy street wearing sunglasses, or picking you out from among a crowd of tens of thousands cheering at a rock concert.

Won't be long before Thailand adopts this, I'm sure, just like China is doing. 

I think this is the way forward:-

Archived