U.S. House Democrat predicts request for Trump tax returns in two weeks

webfact

4 hours ago, pedro01 said:

My understanding is he's not obliged to give it, right?

So an exercise in futility?

A little-known law passed in 1924 gives congressional committees that decide on tax policy the right to examine tax returns. tRump is no stranger to litigation.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, avvocato said:

A little-known law passed in 1924 gives congressional committees that decide on tax policy the right to examine tax returns. tRump is no stranger to litigation.

lets look at it

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, riclag said:

"But Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen whetted Democrats' interest in obtaining the documents last week, when he testified before the House Oversight Committee that Trump avoided releasing his returns for fear he would be audited and penalized by tax authorities".

Coming from a convicted liar,can't believe a word he says! The President's  and Vice President's taxes are audited every year according to  law,so there goes that fear!  American Taxpayer's taxes are private and protected by law! They can ask away till hell freezes over!

A "convicted liar" which did his lying in the service of President Trump. And bringing up lying....Didn't know you cared, what with the full-on support Trump thing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Look, it's private and protected by law!  

Peter Overby isn't very bright!

"NPR’s Peter Overby: Reporting the Left’s Side of the Story but Not the Right’s"

http://policydynamics.net/nprs-peter-overby-reporting-the-lefts-side-of-story-but-not-the-rights/

I’ve given you two example of laws that give access to tax returns.

No need for your anger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Morch said:

A "convicted liar" which did his lying in the service of President Trump. And bringing up lying....Didn't know you cared, what with the full-on support Trump thing.

And who, during his testimony before the House, gave the names of other’s who were witnesses to and have knowledge of Trump’s tax crimes.

Bit of a problem when corroborating witnesses/evidence are produced.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rgraham said:

First of all tax returns are one thing we all have that are still private, no one has to share them with anyone. My second thought is that his returns have to be very complex and most of the senators and representatives asking for them would not have a clue on how to analyze them. Third thought is which returns are they hoping to se, personal or the many different corporate returns? What a folly!

Public representatives are not expected to be experts on each and every topic which may come up during their term. That's what aides, legal advice, and expert input are for. As for making in-depth knowledge and powers of analysis a criteria, not sure you really wanna go there, what with Trump in office.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I would think even Trump supporters would have no problem with Trump releasing his tax returns.  Why would you not want to see Trump's returns? 

Well - I personally would have zero interest in reading them. I can barely be bothered to read my own/

But there's a famous saying that comes to mind "Anything you say may be held against you" - or to put it another way "nothing you say will be used in your favor".

The only reasons the dems want this is to make up more convoluted stories and perhaps find more people to subpoena in the dog & pony show they are running. They are looking for dirt so why give them something they can turn into accusations - even if they aren't followed up legally?

It makes zero sense for Trump to release them. None at all. 

Trump will run till 2020 and if the dems keep this up - he'll be elected again.

The dems have no platform, no policy other than "stop Trump"

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, zydeco said:

A person's tax returns can tell a lot about their interests and character. I want to see Trump's. Their returns showed the Clintons being mean and grasping. I'll bet Trump's is full of expenses reinforcing his narcissism, boasting, bragging, and sleazy connections. 

As you have already clearly decided about Trumps "interests and character" - why the desperation for some sort of validation? You'll see what you want to see anyway...

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Well - I personally would have zero interest in reading them. I can barely be bothered to read my own/

But there's a famous saying that comes to mind "Anything you say may be held against you" - or to put it another way "nothing you say will be used in your favor".

The only reasons the dems want this is to make up more convoluted stories and perhaps find more people to subpoena in the dog & pony show they are running. They are looking for dirt so why give them something they can turn into accusations - even if they aren't followed up legally?

Projecting much? Essentially, the reasoning outlined above for not divulging such information is pretty much what's attributed to the "dems". A world view in which anything goes as long as it serves maintaining power. Bottom line is  that It doesn't matter if Trump did or didn't do anything wrong, you don't even want to know.

As for not having a policy - they won majority just recently, and there's a wave of legalization already in the pipes. Then again, "Stop Trump", even if not much of a policy, isn't a halfway bad one. A whole lot better than the circus and mockery Trump makes of the presidency and the USA on a regular basis.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

As you have already clearly decided about Trumps "interests and character" - why the desperation for some sort of validation? You'll see what you want to see anyway...

Unless one's been living under a rock (or a bridge), Trump's character is out there for the whole world to see and judge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pedro01 said:

He’s obviously lied or broke the law.  Why is he fighting everything-every single thing ???? people deserve to know because he’s running for another election-the world knows he lies consistently ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Actually this was started by Richard Nixon, when he was Vice President under Eisenhower as a method of getting under the skin of their opponents.

Interesting side note regarding Nixon and money:  one of the last things LBJ did before leaving office, and with the blessing of Congress, was to double the salary of the president.  The thinking behind it (or so it was reported at the time) was that Nixon was not a wealthy man, and the raise would keep him honest.  How 'bout that?

18 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Isn’t that the job of the IRS to review tax returns? I see no reason why anyone should be required to release their personal tax returns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the better things the US has done is enact the Taxpayer's Bill Of Rights. While previously the IRS might overreach and use hostile and coercive practices I've found they couldn't be easier to deal with these days. They've almost turned into a service organization.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/taxation/publications/abataxtimes_home/18may/18may-pbm-roberson-the-taxpayer-bill-of-rights/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TGIR said:

I am pretty sure there are enough Democrats/Trump Haters in the IRS to have blown the whistle on the President if they found something wrong with anything he did........just as I'm pretty sure before he decided to run he ran any potential problem areas by his attorneys and accountants and family before he made such a precipitous decision.

Recent whistleblowers have ended up in prison.

I doubt trump thought through all his paper trails before riding the down escalator.

He did successfully hide his high school and college transcripts though, so who knows?

13 hours ago, TGIR said:

No-one is obligated to show their tax return to anyone. 

No one ever said they were. trump has always said he would release his returns, in various previous presidential runs, and then said he would after the audit(s) were finished.

Is he being audited? What years? Surely some audits are complete right? So keep your promise.

13 hours ago, TGIR said:

For, clarification, as someone who prepared Income Tax Returns for over 30 years as a CPA, there is absolutely nothing in a tax return that isn't already in the forms one must file with the Government as a public official 

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4464412-Trump-Donald-J-2018Annual278.html

Well, this assumes the two documents align, and were both completed honestly. The financial disclosure forms are pretty broad. That said, if this were true and accurate then why not release the tax returns?

trump appears to be a wholly honest person and businessman, I'm sure he's done nothing wrong and his tax returns would further demonstrate his savvy business acumen and success. Win/win.

• Like 1