Eurostar rail chaos as French customs staff stage no-deal Brexit checks

webfact

Eurostar rail chaos as French customs staff stage no-deal Brexit checks

2019-03-06T173107Z_1_LYNXNPEF251NQ_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-FRANCE-EUROSTAR.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An Eurostar high speed train enters the Channel Tunnel in Coquelles, near Calais France, March 1, 2019. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - Train services between Paris and London suffered long delays on Wednesday as French customs staff made extra security checks to highlight the pressure Britain's departure from the European Union could place on their workforce.

Train operator Eurostar said services were experiencing delays of up to two hours at the Gare du Nord in Paris because of the additional security controls.

Thousands of passengers queued up to pass through passport control as customs officials took longer questioning passengers and running bag checks.

"Feeling like a pawn in the Brexit game as I am currently stuck at Gare du Nord while French staff prove how terrible Brexit will be," passenger Lucy Hagger wrote on Twitter.

French customs workers began their protest on Monday at the northern ports of Calais and Dunkirk, where long lines of trucks built up as customs workers ran extensive checks.

The labour unions behind the protest action say the delays underline the need for more customs workers to be hired.

"We will overcome the shortcomings and lack of preparedness," the five unions said in a joint statement before launching their protests this week. "But we want to alert the authorities to the state of disrepair of the customs administration."

(Reporting by Richard Lough and Simon Carraud; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-07
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thousands of passengers queued up to pass through passport control as customs officials took longer questioning passengers and running bag checks.

Cor Blimey...

worse than Suvarnabhumi Airport. ☹️

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

no reason to waste time in line

several OK eateries very close to Gare du Nord

this is sort of typical French, using a potential no-deal Brexit to argue for more staff

Exactly! It's about the unions wanting to see more people employed. Brexit just a current convenient excuse.

Be the French air traffic controllers turn next!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

joking?

2 hours when I flew in to LHR last time. Normally go through once a year. A hour before that. Pretty standard to have a long wait.

I was in the 'others' lane.

Going to be plenty more 'others' shortly. That will make traveling to the UK fun.

8 minutes ago, samran said:

2 hours when I flew in to LHR last time. Normally go through once a year. A hour before that. Pretty standard to have a long wait.

I was in the 'others' lane.

Going to be plenty more 'others' shortly. That will make traveling to the UK fun.

jeeez, would kill me

ages ago I experienced ridiculous immigration queues flying into JFK,

stopped that after 2-3 times

then flew into Dulles - quick quick

and took another flight back to NYC

comfortable

I DO hate immigration queues