Family visa extension with passport shortly to expire

A month or so ago, I went to get a twelve month family visa extension (marriage visa), and as my passport expires this year, I was told that I would need to apply for a Visa now, and apply again later with my new passport, obviously with the same 'funds in the account' stipulations and two Visa fees.
Fortunately, we bypassed this, as the new passport was then waiting my collection in Bangkok.
This is the third time that I have renewed my passport, whilst having a twelve month Visa extension in Thailand. In the past, they have merely transferred the Visa stamps to my new passport.
My question is how long has immigration adopted this 'double visa' method for family extension visas, and does it apply to retirement extensions too?.

The requirement to have 12 months remaining on your passport to get the entire one year extension when you apply for it started in August of 2013.  It applies for all extension of stay.

Before that you could go bank with the new passport and get the remainder of the extension stamped in your new passport.

A new extension is never issued longer than the expiration date of your passport - and this has been policy for at least the last decade.  But the expiration date of current extension will be entered into a new passport so you do not lose time by getting a passport early (that seems to be what you did before and are thinking about).  That TM7 extension is up to 12 months - not it is 12 months.  So if your passport expired on November 12 extension would be to that date.  Usually best to get a new passport if next extension time will see less than a year remaining on current passport.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A new extension is never issued longer than the expiration date of your passport

Thanks, I may have gone off on a tangent here but I have always been 'unhappy' as to the renewal date of my Extension. It being the end of the year and hitting the peak season! I guess I could use the pending expiration of my passport to reset it to a different date, a once in a decade opportunity.

Although if I get my new PP with say a month left on the Extension in the old one, can I just renew into the new passport? IE avoid transfer stamps?

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Although if I get my new PP with say a month left on the Extension in the old one, can I just renew into the new passport? IE avoid transfer stamps?

You would still have to have your stamps transferred to apply for the extension.

They do a annotation of the visa used to obtain the entry you have been extending and you current extension of stay stamp. Without those you cannot apply for the extension.

• Thanks 1

You have to have stamps in new passport to validate having the original non immigrant O visa and extension.  You might be able to get a 60 day extension rather than one year, if that would help get out of busy period. but you would have to pay for another one year extension prior to that ending.