Agency dismisses fear of drought, predict rains from late May

webfact

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

You have a flush toilet?

We installed low-flush loos, purely because Madam liked the style (nothing to do with water saving). They are ruddy useless, often needing two shots to clear even a small jobbie, goodbye water saving feature. 

I see wiki agrees with you about this:

"The early low-flush toilets in the U.S. often had a poor design that required more than one flush to rid the bowl of solid waste, resulting in more water used than a single flush of a standard toilet"

I always thought the dual flush was the better option. I remember the Duke Of Edinburgh 'passing' a comment on water wastage decades ago; "Pee a pint, waste a gallon."

source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-flush_toilet#Problems

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Weather forecasts show that the rainy season will start between May 20 and 25,” ONWR secretary-general Somkiat Prajamwong said yesterday, dismissing widespread claims that Thailand will be hit with a long-drawn-out drought this year..."

I am curious...

If this official 'dismisses' the wide-spread claims that Thailand will be hit by a 'long-drawn out' drought this year and is incorrect, what will happen to him?

Will he forfeit his salary? Will he lose his livelihood? Will he suffer any consequences whatsoever?

The damage done to the farmers if he is incorrect is obvious; the repercussions for him don't seem to be...

Hmm...

The same that happened to Michael Fish in the UK when he famously said (30 years ago)... there will be no hurricane... partially correct but there was one hell of a storm!

This guy will just get laughed at the same as Michael did & go back to doing what they can only ever do... make predictions not promises!

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Weather forecasts show that the rainy season will start between May 20 and 25,” ONWR secretary-general Somkiat Prajamwong said yesterday, dismissing widespread claims that Thailand will be hit with a long-drawn-out drought this year..."

I am curious...

If this official 'dismisses' the wide-spread claims that Thailand will be hit by a 'long-drawn out' drought this year and is incorrect, what will happen to him?

Will he forfeit his salary? Will he lose his livelihood? Will he suffer any consequences whatsoever?

The damage done to the farmers if he is incorrect is obvious; the repercussions for him don't seem to be...

Hmm..

If he's incorrect, he could blame 'low quality weather'.

If correct, he could put it down to consulting with the right fortune teller, and his social media status would increase dramatically. Well, among the gullible anyway.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I predict there will be rain when the rainy season starts - like every year in May !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I wouldn't be too sure about that, the times they are a' changing.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:
26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

If he's incorrect, he could blame 'low quality weather'.

If correct, he could put it down to consulting with the right fortune teller, and his social media status would increase dramatically. Well, among the gullible anyway.

or blame the foreigners, works for most other things.

You mean we have foreign, imported weather here?

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I predict there will be rain when the rainy season starts - like every year in May !!!

Where is this weather forecast for - Bangkok? the rains in the NE rains usually start in April - only if the Songran festival is successful off course ???? 

The South of Thailand, as it gets an extra monsoon compared to the rest of the country "should" have more than enough water year round, off course there will be exceptions where people are living where there is no infrastructure to support there lifestyle like Koh Samui.

Edited by CGW

7 hours ago, neeray said:

"Agency dismisses fear of drought, predict rains from late May"

And don't be fooled by measurement and predictions based on facts which say that it will be another "El Nino" drought year.

8 hours ago, wisperone said:

And if they are wrong, they will just say that conditions were drier than predictions.

Why not start with replacing the toilets that use about 3 gallons more per flush than necessary, which is the same over most of Asia.

On using the toilet

For many years now I have been living by this statement

If it's yellow, let it mellow

If it's brown, flush it down

This will be the same next year as well, as La Nina and El Nino work on about an 8 to 10 year cycle. 

If anyone is interested I have added 2 Wikipedia links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Niña

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Niño

• Thanks 1

I am returning from a state visit to Dudley mid to end May this will coincide with the widespread rainfall rejoicings.

Now the above statements is about as much use as this guy checking his seaweed and waffling on about rain in May..although at least i have ticket booked 

What this water 'diviner' says isn't what was broadcast on Thai TV news last week. The situation will be critical in the Phetchabun town area if there is no rainfall in the next 2 weeks, because the water level in Pa Dang reservoir is very low. This isn't the only reservoir in the province with critically low water levels. I fear the worst as the Thai Met office has already said we're in for one of the  driest hot seasons in memory.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that, the times they are a' changing.

"...the times they are a' changing."

It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall, in fact there'll be Buckets of rain this year.

Question is "Who'll stop the rain"?:unsure:

5 hours ago, poohy said:

I am returning from a state visit to Dudley mid to end May this will coincide with the widespread rainfall rejoicings.

Now the above statements is about as much use as this guy checking his seaweed and waffling on about rain in May..although at least i have ticket booked 

Enjoy your visit with Dudley.....

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

You have a flush toilet?

We installed low-flush loos, purely because Madam liked the style (nothing to do with water saving). They are ruddy useless, often needing two shots to clear even a small jobbie, goodbye water saving feature.

Yes, I have one in my apartment, and one in my tenants apartment. Both work great. Never any issues. I don't believe we can even buy a toilet in the states that isn't low flow..max 1.6gpf.

I cringed every time I flushed the toilet in SEA with the amount of water that was wasted.

We'll see what happens when China shuts of the tap of water heading south when less snows in the Himalayas feed the rivers.

Countries can choose to be proactive, or reactive. Time will tell. Math calculations for this are easy... how many millions of flushes per day x gallons saved per flush.