Decent breakfast around Suk soi 8

Kenny202

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What? An IHOP that's doesn't open at 7 AM???!!!

Only in Thailand I guess.

Call it Thai retailing sense, brought to you by the same Thai franchisor who gave you Thailand Taco Bell with no beef on the menu because their market research showed beef wasn't wanted here.

On one hand, it made some sense for the Thai IHOP operators to open their first two locations in a prominent, accessible location, which Paragon qualifies for.

But on a much bigger hand, it seemingly made zero sense to open a primarily breakfast food chain in a location that doesn't open its doors until 10 am every day.

Last time I was at IHOP Paragon, I happened to run into the visiting farang folks from IHOP international who were doing an inspection. And one of the things they mentioned for IHOP Thailand moving forward was, as they put it, "the need to control [their] own doors" -- which they typically won't be able to do inside a mall.

1 hour ago, farang2002 said:

Monsoon is good for breakfast and dinner.

For those who may not know, Monsoon is the name of the restaurant at the Adelphi Hotel on Suk Soi 8 that serves the abovementioned 300b breakfast buffet every day, as well as regular food and drinks throughout the rest of the day and night.

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I think that was it. Was a pretty good deal there actually for about 170 baht got the works. Grilled hot dogs instead of actual sausages but who could complain. 

If I ordered sausages for my breakfast, and got grilled hot dog(s) instead, I WOULD complain.

I used to eat breakfast a lot at the old V8 and it was pretty decent and very affordable. I haven't been to the new location. But my impression is, they still do have some breakfast items on their menu, but they don't open until noon (which is a major disqualifier for me as any kind of breakfast place).

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You might be thinking about the old V8 Diner place that used to be in the same complex as the former Sunrise Tacos outlet near Soi 12 -- that entire site is now in the process of being developed into a condo complex.

The V8 Diner moved to Soi 11.

For a decent breakfast (if you can wait 'till the store opens at 10:00 am) try Tops deli in Central Chidlom.  Choose from the deli/buffet and eat at the seating between the deli counters.

9 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

The V8 Diner moved to Soi 11.

For a decent breakfast (if you can wait 'till the store opens at 10:00 am) try Tops deli in Central Chidlom.  Choose from the deli/buffet and eat at the seating between the deli counters.

The part about V8's relocation has already been explained, by me, earlier in this thread.

As for Central Chidlom, AFAIK, they don't have any breakfast hours buffet there. But they do, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, have some very decent breakfast menu offerings at their Flour Shoppe and Food Story eateries on the ground floor at the back of the Central Food Hall supermarket there, which allows them to open thru the ground doors in the rear there at 8 am.

Not that its super responsive, but when I eat breakfast out, its at Supa across from Hua Lamphong MRT. Good cheap cheese omelet with ham, some hot dogs, coffee, toast, its OK and less than 200 B.  Open 24 hours too.

23 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Not that its super responsive, but when I eat breakfast out, its at Supa across from Hua Lamphong MRT. Good cheap cheese omelet with ham, some hot dogs, coffee, toast, its OK and less than 200 B.  Open 24 hours too.

I think I happened to catch a quick photo of you having breakfast there the other day....

945683801_2019-03-0922_25_07.jpg.26d79836f93ea5639592b5d6ab3769bc.jpg

The omelet looks pretty good!    :tongue:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think I happened to catch a quick photo of you having breakfast there the other day....

945683801_2019-03-0922_25_07.jpg.26d79836f93ea5639592b5d6ab3769bc.jpg

The omelet looks pretty good!    :tongue:

look good huh? Just got a haircut....

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Fortuna Hotel just past Foodland on the same side of the street on Soi 5. Back in my tourist days, I used to eat their buffet there from time to time, as it was decent and pretty low priced at the time. And then, at some point, I started having too many meetings with creepy crawlies on the walls and floors there, and decided to go elsewhere for the future.

That's the one I was thinking about, on the tip of my tomgue.

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

Yes please, that would be greatly appreciated by myself and I am sure many others. It would go very well in the International Food forum.

If you really want to go for it, the fryup inspector has some great examples of how to write a good quality review.

If you're intetested, PM me.

https://fryupsgoodornot.blogspot.com/2018/01/denmark-cafe-norwich.html?m=1

Hahaha.

'tis a small world.

Ate there dozens of times in the 90's and up until even 2007.

Excellent nosh and a real working man's cafe.

Very very busy and a damn good business for the owners.

I had a house at the bottom of Silver Road diagonally opposite about an 80 yard walk for 14 years.

Is the Denmark still going?
Small world indeed...

from soi 8 scoot along the sub soi past Lolitas thru the passageway to soi 6 and there's a cafe on the ground floor of the Dynasty Grande hotel facing the street with a terrace...no buffet but a reasonably priced a la carte western breakfast is available with excellent coffee...lotsa other nice western stuff on the menu as well for later, excellent pork chop with mash and gravy...

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Is the Denmark still going?

It was about 4 years ago. I tend to go The Street cafe on Magdalen Street when I'm in Norwich now.

We should do a breakfast collaboration ????

• Like 1

On soi 4, The Tavern Bar always used to have a decent breakfast. Bottomless cup of coffee as well. Pancakes, thin ones . The usual eggs, toast bacon. The owner died a couple years ago but the manager has kept it going. It's a little below the plaza. 

54 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Can eat the breakfast buffet at the Nana. All you can eat and drink. Quantity, not great quality. Thai and Western food. If you stay there it is included.

Plus, free visual entertainment that rivals the Star Wars Cantina.

• Haha 1

I would always advise tourists to book a hotel in Bangkok, and other destinations in Thailand, that include breakfast in their room rate.  

Barring that, I can highly recommend The Sportsman over on Soi 13.  Farang managed and the breakfast is pretty good.  

Seems like there are a lot of places called The Sportsman. I guess the owners don't care.

Having breakfast included is very convenient for me.

26 minutes ago, HLover said:

Plus, free visual entertainment that rivals the Star Wars Cantina.

Yes! There are some quite interesting folk. Of all possible genders. Free entertainment. The workers are very nice. At least to me. 5555

• Like 1

well i would never book a hotel with breakfast included as once you have paid you dont know what you are getting, until it is too late, the number of people on trip advisor in revues who have done this and the breakfast has been crap, so they have had to eat out. and that is wasted money, breakfasts are not free by the way, they generally add on a huge amount of money just to fleece the tourist even more

post 46 why do you say that i have nothing to do with this place, whatsoever , just like a good brekky when i see one, what about the other postings recommending places, yes i live here, so i know my breakfasts ok

• Thanks 1

Check out the Promenade Hotel close to Nana station.....I cannot remember the Soi but look it up. Very nice breakfast for 150 baht. I had scrambled eggs etc and they were great, as for the toast not being brown, just ask them to cook it longer until it's brown.....I do that all the time. Maybe you have to be staying there, but I don't think so. Check it out.

The Kiwi breakfast, at least as I experienced it recently, is really pretty poor.  Exactly as one poster described above, cold coffee, tasteless hunks of oversized , barely toasted, white bread, much of the rest not edible, except the beans which were ok, just. All served by disinterested staff. Never again for me.

In the area, Chequers on soi 4 is better, also I agree that Sportsman and the German beer house on soi 13 are pretty good options. Slightly away from soi 8 , Pala, next to Asoke BTS, does a really nice scrambled eggs and tasty bacon (and a decent cup of coffee). And slightly further away in Exchange Tower , across the Asoke intersection, Chu does what is, in my opinion, the best breakfast in Bangkok.

Edited by wordchild

18 hours ago, wordchild said:

And slightly further away in Exchange Tower , across the Asoke intersection, Chu does what is, in my opinion, the best breakfast in Bangkok.

Thanks for adding that. they do indeed have some nice breakfast menu items at decent prices.... And they're open relatively early in the morning for breakfasts... Just no buffet there.

BTW, AFAIK, the former V8 Diner from Suk Soi 12 is still alive, but relocated to the far end of Suk Soi 11 not far from where the Villa Market Soi 11 also relocated to in the past year, meaning, a LONG trek down Soi 11 to where the road jogs to the left.

The bad news, though, AFAICT, is that unlike the old location that was open 24 hours and/or in the early morning hours for breakfast, the new V8 Diner location appears to cater more to the local club going types, and so has hours from 12 noon until 5 am, meaning they're not open during traditional breakfast hours anymore.

http://www.v8diner.com/#1

The Tavern on Soi 4 had a good breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app