Looking for Thailand Expatriate to Partner with in Cambodia

I am just completing 3 weeks back in the USA.  I fly to Mexico Monday to explore possibly living there if I can save money.

I will also look at other Latin American countries, but if too hard, I will look to fly back to SE Asia, to Phenom Phen, stay away from Thailand, get a one year visa for 300 dollars and hunker down and work at repairing my savings.  

I will use travel insurance for my medical insurance as long as legal. 

I will be looking for other expats in similar situations to possibly partner with. They have enough money to live, if sharing a flat, live really well and build some better savings. My savings is very little from several divorces and bad decisions.  I am lucky my pension is good.

The savings I have I will not risk putting in a Thai bank or will I live in Thailand again. 

I see my own circumstances as this simply.   I have cut too many ties already in the USA.   I am 66 and will not be able to afford medical insurance in Thailand with preexisting conditions.   I do not want to live in the USA at this time, especially with limited savings,  now no car or home, no family and few friends. 

I am looking at options to improve my remaining life.

If there are others that may consider teaming up and trying Latin America (There is another topic on this destination) or Cambodia, let me know. I will be traveling light and fast these next few months and will make a definitive decision soon.

FYI. I made a serious mistake and hired a visa company to fast track my retirement visa. I gave them my Embassy Letter.  I did not know until after the fact they had deposited 800k in my bank and withdrawn it the next day.  This involved me as complicit in bribery. 

I was advised by several expats and z friend who is married to a high ranking Thai police officer that I stood a very high chance of arrest and deportation because I needed to supply my previous bank records. I was in too much risk of arrest and deportation and I decided to leave.  Don't evdn consider trying to renew.  It was just to much risk.

PPS. Letting go of my Thai girlfriend was the hardest.  They are so easy to fall in love with. If teaming up, do not break the brotherhood. 

• Confused 2

Additional information.

My pension before taxes and medical insurance is 5,000US a month. I have 18,000US dollars saved. My cost to rent a nice apartment,  replace all the furniture I donated and purchase a decent car destroys my financial planning if I try or have to repatriate.

Other info: I like sex but have gone for long stretches with none. I drink, but I am not an alcoholic.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Say what??

What brotherhood?

What exactly are you asking for?

I don't want to be rude but you sound like the last  person anyone would like to buddy up with!!

That actually was rude.  You don't know me. Wonder why nobody ever seems to actually help anybody on TV? Everyone who knows me personally knows I don't make comments like you made. That was not necessarily to say.

• Like 2

Just now, brokenbone said:

heres my opinion,

the only time i contemplated and actually turned out living with another man was as a student studying engineering,

with my best friend, no other man or woman was eligible.

now as an adult, none qualify, and the only one that ever did qualify was a nympho with the most beautiful breast the world

has ever seen, it just didnt get old looking at them.

in cambodia, you miiight find some ganja smoking happy pizza eating hippie that would give it all up for a lesser rent,

but them 20 year ole boys are much more likely to seek their peers if at all possible.

i dont see how a retiree can see the appeal of living with another retiree, and even much less so if both are males.

this sounds crazy and likely is, but i'd live with an ex over this i think

Hi,

I get what you are saying.  I figured before I did this program solo one more time, I'd at least reach out and take a try at putting together some group effort.   As I have read countless stories from expats having to leave Thailand,  I would think there might be a few that might want to join forces and increase their odds at success. 

CJ

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Hi,

I get what you are saying.  I figured before I did this program solo one more time, I'd at least reach out and take a try at putting together some group effort.   As I have read countless stories from expats having to leave Thailand,  I would think there might be a few that might want to join forces and increase their odds at success. 

CJ

in my experience, its easy to befriend both locals and

local expats and you will quickly learn where to eat food etc,

get a better room etc, also highly recommend buying a scooter to get around.

since you are mobile and got the energy, i also think you should check out vietnam before you start to buy stuff for more permanent settlement.

it has been said the only places a western man fit in is kampot & pnom phen

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, rumak said:

I applaud your thinking outside the box.  In Thailand i always thought it would be nice to have some land where a few friends and I could have some homes and create a bit of a community.   

Looking for some similar minded guys might be interesting.  But on Thaivisa ? ????????????????????????

Hi!

I did not know any other way to communicate to the expat community. 

I'll stay connected.   I know there are others like me.

Stay positive bro.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, madmen said:

158000 baht a month is more than enough for medical insurance and very cruzy life with your partner in Thailand as your more than double the 65k monthly needed

I really dont get it. How could you not feel "safe and secure"? although Im not sure what you mean by safe. Were you mugged or attacked? Im Bangkok 10 years and consider it amongst the top 5% when it comes to expat safety

sorry for your lady, if you really loved her you could have easy make it work . regarding health insurance Im paying $1500 with $2k deductable a year for 15 million coverage with pre existing conditions at 56 so thats 4000 baht a month. Even if you payed double that ( you wouldn't)  Your monthly balance is still huge

What am I missing as you mentioned money was a factor in leaving Thailand which makes no sense

The immigration issues aside. I got quotes from 6 different insurance companies.  All the others won't even write a policy past 64.  The others all limited to International plans.  The cheapest was 700 usd a month. No Thai insurance company would even quote me except a premium International plan.

I had several friends help me look.  Everyone came up with the same results.  

Please show me an insurance company that will cover me for less, initial coverage at age 66 for less.

Thank you....

• Like 1

Please think about this issue regarding medical insurance.  It may become important later for everyone. 

I used BNH for my medical needs while in Bkk.  They gave me a list of insurance companies they accept payment from. Almost 30 on the list.

I contacted those that I could,  about 12. The others had no English contacts.

All, except 6 did had no coverage availability for a new enrollee past either 59 or 64.  Of the 6, only three even responded to my request for a quote.  I looked at their English language information,  and they all had either preexisting clauses for a year or for life.

They all only offered at my age an International plan.  The least expensive was 700 usd a month, going up every year from then. 

I have heard about what everyone else has for insurance.   Please, somebody point me to an affordable new policy at age 66. 

I and my other expat friends can not find one.  And!

As I researched this, I found seversl local Thai insurance companies stop covering at 75. Have you checked your policies?

Let's help each other and get to the bottom of this insurance issue.   

OP, maybe clarify what you are looking for, you say you wont ever live in Thailand again but are looking for insurance for thailand. Share accommodation in Cambodia to save money ???

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

I will also look at other Latin American countries, but if too hard, I will look to fly back to SE Asia, to Phenom Phen, stay away from Thailand, get a one year visa for 300 dollars and hunker down and work at repairing my savings.  

I'm in Phnom Penh for songkran (10th-16th April) meeting with some pals that live there.

I can introduce you to them if you're there at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

What am I missing as you mentioned money was a factor in leaving Thailand which makes no sense

Made perfect sense to me, some guys like to see a predictable future lasting years.

Thailand doesn't offer that to white men.

Doesn't bother me that much, I'm OK with 90 days, but I can understand the guys it does bother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, maybe clarify what you are looking for, you say you wont ever live in Thailand again but are looking for insurance for thailand. Share accommodation in Cambodia to save money ???

No, I'm done living in Thailand.  Simply participating in this conversation to help others. As to Cambodia,  I'm tired of flying solo on everything.  If I can get some Cambodia connections and maybe even team up to save money,  I'm down

Edited by CaptainJack

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm in Phnom Penh for songkran (10th-16th April) meeting with some pals that live there.

I can introduce you to them if you're there at the same time.

Thanks.  If I'm back in SE Asia,  I'll accept the offer.

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Made perfect sense to me, some guys like to see a predictable future lasting years.

Thailand doesn't offer that to white men.

Doesn't bother me that much, I'm OK with 90 days, but I can understand the guys it does bother.

I understand.  I'm okay with a certain amount of uncertainty.  Thailand exceeded my thresholds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

The immigration issues aside. I got quotes from 6 different insurance companies.  All the others won't even write a policy past 64.  The others all limited to International plans.  The cheapest was 700 usd a month. No Thai insurance company would even quote me except a premium International plan.

I had several friends help me look.  Everyone came up with the same results.  

Please show me an insurance company that will cover me for less, initial coverage at age 66 for less.

Thank you....

Right you are all of SEA will be problematic. Cambodia , good for cheap beer and relaxed attitude to pot but poor health care system requiring medivac to Bangkok for serious e issues and the premiums appear to be similar

Columbia has glowing healthcare reviews and far cheaper than SEA if south america is on your itineray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Right you are all of SEA will be problematic. Cambodia , good for cheap beer and relaxed attitude to pot but poor health care system requiring medivac to Bangkok for serious e issues and the premiums appear to be similar

My health insurance premiums are always thew same, nothing because I don't have any.

At least in Cambodia I'll have travel insurance, because I'm on holiday.

Pot and cheap beer are far more important to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

3 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Please think about this issue regarding medical insurance. 

It may become important later for everyone. 

I have heard about what everyone else has for insurance.   

Please, somebody point me to an affordable new policy at age 66. 

I and my other expat friends can not find one. 

Let's help each other and get to the bottom of this insurance issue.   

Very amusing posts the Thai health insurance issue has already been done death so to speak.

Don't understand people living here sometimes and how they get to sound so desperate and post help me I can't help myself.

Here one :-

https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XISOxCIzaDK

I'm not with this one but got insured at 68 and my premium 32,000 per year.