A first after 41 years here...

egypte

Coming back from Singapore/Malaysia by car (Thai registered)we were stopped at a check point

near Thung Khlong somewhere south of Surathani, and we were asked to show our passports by

Immigration officers standing by at the check point with Customs officer.

We've been travelling by car from North Laos to South Malaysia and Cambodia many times, and were

never asked this at any checkpoint, things are changing in the kingdom.....

What surprised us is not the fact that they checked us it is the distance after crossing the border (around 300Km)

for this check to happen.

Everything when smoothly and friendly, no problems whatsoever to report, all officers, Police, Customs and Immigration

were very polite, friendly and smiling though they were doing their job.

• Like 2

I remember years ago I was the only westerner on a small bus from Nong Khai to Udon Thani after crossing the border from Laos and there was a temporary army stop on the roadside. Soldiers boarded the bus and checked id cards and passports.

Its just the army or police doing their job probably looking for smugglers (drugs/people/weapons/geese?) ok maybe not geese.

Edited by NightSky

6 hours ago, egypte said:

As I said everything was fine, just surprised to be asked for our passports at a check point so far away from the border,

They do their jobs and do so nicely whatever others may say.

Why, Are you the only one to say nice things about them? What do others say? Examples please. Maybe some have bad experiences with officials.

36 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Why, Are you the only one to say nice things about them? What do others say? Examples please. Maybe some have bad experiences with officials.

About 5 years ago, I was accused of having 25 days overstay, asked if my wife was working. This was while I was doing a 90 day report, I raised my voice and pointed my finger at the IO, then he got it sorted out and no apology. I have never done a 90 day report in person since.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

About 5 years ago, I was accused of having 25 days overstay, asked if my wife was working. This was while I was doing a 90 day report, I raised my voice and pointed my finger at the IO, then he got it sorted out and no apology. I have never done a 90 day report in person since.

Was he wearing a singlet, fat and ugly with facial hair and tattoos?

I very much doubt you raised your voice much less pointed your finger. 

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Was he wearing a singlet, fat and ugly with facial hair and tattoos?

I very much doubt you raised your voice much less pointed your finger. 

I raised my voice, but did not shout, just enough to know I was not happy, I pointed at him and told him I would go to the ATM and get 20.000 Bt, he then took me to an office, told me to wait, came out in about 2 mins, handed me my passport and said report back here in 90 days.

There is a very large , what I read as "Border Immigration Office"  building and sign ( in Thai ) nowhere near the border , maybe 80km south of Surat Thani , and not too far from Sichon.

I often comment on it to my tg ,  as we drive by , simply because its yet another Thai anomaly , and she has suggested that maybe its more a training 'school' .

Could it be that the people who stopped you were just training ?

Any name around those parts often have "Ta" or "thung"  in their name - the old South Thai name for shelter , whilst the addition of "Khlong"  in a place name is often more used in Krabi ( but not ALWAYS -just to cover all the TV nit pickers ) .

Thung Klong I dont know.

But if you are / have often driven from North Laos to Malaysia , Im all ears !

Please start a thread on how you cover the border crossings and whats required !

Its something I would like to do.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

And the relevance to the OP  is ..........................................?

15 hours ago, NightSky said:

I remember years ago I was the only westerner on a small bus from Nong Khai to Udon Thani after crossing the border from Laos and there was a temporary army stop on the roadside. Soldiers boarded the bus and checked id cards and passports.

Its just the army or police doing their job probably looking for smugglers (drugs/people/weapons/geese?) ok maybe not geese.

Army checks happens all the time on main roads leaving border areas, as a white guy they usually walk right by me as if I wasn't there, twice between Burma and Chang Rai last year, also near Aranyaprathet. Brown people get ID/documents/bag examined and questions asked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

There is a very large , what I read as "Border Immigration Office"  building and sign ( in Thai ) nowhere near the border , maybe 80km south of Surat Thani , and not too far from Sichon.

I often comment on it to my tg ,  as we drive by , simply because its yet another Thai anomaly , and she has suggested that maybe its more a training 'school' .

Could it be that the people who stopped you were just training ?

Any name around those parts often have "Ta" or "thung"  in their name - the old South Thai name for shelter , whilst the addition of "Khlong"  in a place name is often more used in Krabi ( but not ALWAYS -just to cover all the TV nit pickers ) .

Thung Klong I dont know.

But if you are / have often driven from North Laos to Malaysia , Im all ears !

Please start a thread on how you cover the border crossings and whats required !

Its something I would like to do.

Sorry a typo it is Thung Song

Thung Song.jpg

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

5 years ago, was 90 days reporting already done then?

I have to say egypte if you have lived here for  41 years congratulations!

The longest I had heard of before was from a chap here in Northern Chiangmai province which from memory was 37 years ( maybe more now)

Certainly puts paid to the comments by some posters on this site that the Thai government doesn’t want expats to live here.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, StevieAus said:

I have to say egypte if you have lived here for  41 years congratulations!

The longest I had heard of before was from a chap here in Northern Chiangmai province which from memory was 37 years ( maybe more now)

Certainly puts paid to the comments by some posters on this site that the Thai government doesn’t want expats to live here.

There are a few of us around.  I first visited as a university student in 1975 and moved here permanently, though I didn't know it at the time, in 1977.????

• 1 month later...