Whats wrong with Beer Lao anyway

Nyezhov

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

The Singha and formaldehyde story is a myth which has been around for ages and has been debunked many times.  Formaldehyde can be found in most beers in minute quantities. The WHO says the amounts are well below the acceptable levels. The chemical is also found naturally in fruits, vegetables plus certain meats and seafoods. 

I’m not a big drinker these days, did all that in my younger days. Although I do partake in the odd beer now and again and Beer Lao is certainly a nice beer in my opinion. 

and Singha lager does not use rice in its brewing either.

Not that using rice necessarily means it's rubbish like Budweiser, where it's used as a cheap barley   substitute.

Just finally found the Est.33 Kopper at the local 7-Eleven, good stuff (Also on draught at the EST33 bars in Bangkok),  Hitachino Red Rice Beer is also excellent. 

and also a fan of the Dark Beer Lao - and can't say i've heard much negative about Beer Lao, either... quite the opposite.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Even I as a non drinker has heard about the quality of Beer Lao.

ay

me thinks this story is like the Amstel drinkers, their beer versus Heineken drinkers and all about the beers.

So you were commenting on people from the UK, Germany and Australia. I feel left out why did you not mention the stoned out of his head drunk Dutch guys.

Real dutch stoners don't drink alcohol.. (even if they do, then not on the same time)

And as we were commenting on other nationalities (guess everyone thinks Beer Loa is great). Don't Americans drink their beer in an pair of uncle sam shorts while watching the flag and singing god bless America ????

It's Yankee Doodle they sing :drunk:

Reminds me of a great day in Vientiane, waiting for a visa. Sat at a restaurant overlooking the Mekong river, watching the world go by, with a delicious Thai dish and a couple of large bottles of Beer Lao. For my money it is the best beer in SE Asia ... and that's from someone who hardly ever touches alcohol.

I've never heard anyone criticise Beer Lao?

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Reminds me of a great day in Vientiane, waiting for a visa. Sat at a restaurant overlooking the Mekong river, watching the world go by, with a delicious Thai dish and a couple of large bottles of Beer Lao. For my money it is the best beer in SE Asia ... and that's from someone who hardly ever touches alcohol.

I've never heard anyone criticise Beer Lao?

well look at them all whining about the price then......

31 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

well look at them all whining about the price then......

I don't recall it being expensive in Vientiane? But in Central supermarket in Pattaya I think it is priced like a premium foreign beer. So they're cashing in.

Just now, AlexRich said:

I don't recall it being expensive in Vientiane? But in Central supermarket in Pattaya I think it is priced like a premium foreign beer. So they're cashing in.

Import tax.

A can of beer Laos in Vientiane is about the same price as a Chang in 7/11 in Thailand  

1 hour ago, Tongjaw said:

The Singha and formaldehyde story is a myth which has been around for ages and has been debunked many times.  Formaldehyde can be found in most beers in minute quantities. The WHO says the amounts are well below the acceptable levels. The chemical is also found naturally in fruits, vegetables plus certain meats and seafoods. 

I’m not a big drinker these days, did all that in my younger days. Although I do partake in the odd beer now and again and Beer Lao is certainly a nice beer in my opinion. 

But you are not saying you trust the WHO do you?

9 hours ago, Justin Side said:

Probably the best beer available in Thailand. A little expensive though.

This is down to 'Mr Singha' and 'Mr Chang' apparently exercising their 'influence (ie biiiiiiiiiig envelopes to the right people) ensuring that alcohol was exempt from the ASEAN free trade agreement (or whatever the 7 country agreement is called).

They know their product is inferior and Beer Lao sales would have gone through the roof. This is why it costs double the at of a slab of domestic beer (depending on your domestic slab of choice before the pedants start)- it's the excise tax. The Beer Lao 

It is my beer of choice as well. Part of its allure is that there are far less chemicals and preservatives in in compared to the local fare, the downside is that it goes off quicker as a result.  Beer Lao gold is even nicer but only available at a few specialty shops and they want B120 per small bottle! My local 7/11 stocks both lager and Dark- yum. Also at least 2 Makros stock it but not necessarily on a regular basis.

I would have thought it would be easier for them to ship the 500ml cans down here  as opposed to bottles but they may only have enough aluminum for domestic supply.

8 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Fantastic beer. Far better than any Thai stuff. The shop in our condo sells them plus the dark version so if I am ever supping at home (which is rare) I always buy them. 

You’ve got a shop in your condo? You posh bastard.

22 minutes ago, Almer said:

I fear being rapped for this but i like

wait for ir it

wait 

LEO

in the absence of Guinness you understand. 

If like me you love a Guinness try Lao Dark or Kaiserdorm dark, both available hear at a ridiculous price.

I dream of the day The Cambodian Stouts are available in Thailand. Black panther and ABC are 10x better than any of the Thai shit. If I did not have a wife and kids I would be in Cambodia drinking the good stuff.

I love Beer Lao dark and think it is one of the best lager beers I have ever tasted and I have drunk beers most of my life and especially from growing up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (supposed beer capital of the world - ha ha!).   

I wish their new beers, Beer Lao Amber and Beer Lao Hops and another I cannot remember would be available.   I tasted all three in Laos last November and they tasted so good...better than their BeerLaoo regular IMO.

40 minutes ago, johnnysunshine said:

I love Beer Lao dark and think it is one of the best lager beers I have ever tasted and I have drunk beers most of my life and especially from growing up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (supposed beer capital of the world - ha ha!).   

I wish their new beers, Beer Lao Amber and Beer Lao Hops and another I cannot remember would be available.   I tasted all three in Laos last November and they tasted so good...better than their BeerLaoo regular IMO.

I'm also from Milwaukee.  As I kid I watched the Braves at County Stadium, and when the wind blew off the lake you were treated to the pungent scent of Brewer's yeast from nearby Miller Brewery.  The taste of Hoegaarden I photographed in post #26 (while at Fitzgeralds on Soi Nana this week) magically brought back those childhood memories.  But I also agree that Beer Lao is very good.

Beer Lao Dam, good.  Riceberry, better.  

Unfortunately, the German beers sold in 7 aren't the top choices, I'm told by Germans.  That's probably why they import them (cheap).

Same with Heineken.  Sour, skunked, awful excuse for a beer.

Might as well drink Mexican piss water, AKA Corona. Ay yi yi. ????

17 hours ago, mick220675 said:

If like me you love a Guinness try Lao Dark or Kaiserdorm dark, both available hear at a ridiculous price.

I dream of the day The Cambodian Stouts are available in Thailand. Black panther and ABC are 10x better than any of the Thai shit. If I did not have a wife and kids I would be in Cambodia drinking the good stuff.

I know drank Black Panther once...

Damn tasty and dirt cheap, less than 15b if I remember correctly. ✓

Back in the days when i did 3 monthly border runs i used to bring back Beer Lao. better than the Thai piss. It become available sporadically in Makro a few years ago but the next time beer taxes were revised the price rose 50%, Makes it more expensive than beer back in the UK. I find Thai beers sour and lacking body, As a result i do not drink much (and less since they priced wine out of the running).

As Thai beer s are all pretty bad i tend to drink Beer U or Archa (with a bit of lemonade) to be sociable. If you have to drink crap, it may as well be cheap crap ....

On 3/12/2019 at 7:39 PM, Almer said:

I fear being rapped for this but i like

wait for ir it

wait 

LEO

in the absence of Guinness you understand. 

A good and quick save, your forgiven...

Archived