Refugee footballer Hakeem Al-Araibi becomes Australian citizen after Thai-Bahrain ordeal

webfact

7 hours ago, Ulic said:

So Australian PR is actually nothing more than a 5-year visa. I shake my head, learn something every day.

A P.R is like have citizenship and you recieve all the benifits excluding a passport and the right to vote.  There is no time period attached and no reporting.  Your P.R can be cancelled if you comitt a criminal offence or leave the country for an extended period of time.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, emptypockets said:

I wonder how much intensive coaching he had to pass the citizenship test.  Most born and bred Aussie's would have trouble passing at first attempt. 

Mrs EP attained PR a year or so ago with next step being citizenship. We had a look at the test...... Not a simple thing.

Since we split our time between Oz and Thai it will be good for her to get citizenship as PR only lasts 5 years and after that reentry permits etc are needed. Not really PR as it used to be. 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, Ulic said:

So Australian PR is actually nothing more than a 5-year visa. I shake my head, learn something every day.

You’d both be wrong. PR is PR. You can stay for ever.

But if you want to travel your PR must have a travel facility attached to it so you can return to Australia as a PR. Living in Australia for 2 of the past 5 years means you are granted another 5 year travel facility automatically. 

The system is is designed so people actually take up their PR and use it and to take up citizenship, and not for those who apply for PR and then only use Australia as a temporary base. 

Edited by samran

On 3/13/2019 at 6:18 AM, wendyfromoz said:

I'm a little concerned about how honest this guy really is.  He said he went to Thailand on his honeymoon but no wife with him in Thailand.  On return to Australia, no wife to meet him and at his citizenship ceromony still no wife with him.  I'm a married woman and I would've been by my husbands side right throughout this supporting him.  There are no names or photos of the mysterious and imaginary woman.

I also agree with a lot of other comments on here, this citizenship is purely a political farse.  An election in about 7 weeks and Scott Morrison is looking at his party being wiped out and is desparate. This is about Morrison and gaining the muslim vote to save his own skin. 

His wife camped out at the airport for two days raising the alarm. So she doesn’t want to be on TV at the airport as media fodder so what?

Even if she did I suspect you’d find a way to slag her off.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, Thechook said:

It's election time.  This amateur soccer player has done nothing for Australia so why does he get fast tracked citizenship.  No problem if he gets citizenship but go through the normal chanels like everyone else 

Get your hand off it chook.

He was three months away from getting citizenship anyway at the time of arrest. He’s done his 5 years which is what is required. 

7 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The next movie in local theatres ............... 

From shackles to citizenship - and how politicians are steamrollering the occasion in an election year! 

And don't forget the upcoming super soccer kids in the upcoming feature "Trapped in the cave that must not be named"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, samran said:

His wife camped out at the airport for two days raising the alarm. So she doesn’t want to be on TV at the airport as media fodder so what?

Even if she did I suspect you’d find a way to slag her off.

you seem quite hostile, who have I slagged off?

35 minutes ago, wendyfromoz said:

you seem quite hostile, who have I slagged off?

His wife...

me hostile? I think you should read some of the posts on this thread.

Edited by samran