Plastic waste fire burns for second day

snoop1130

Plastic waste fire burns for second day

By Prasit Tangprasert 
The Nation

eca3085c7a2dfe12505b89010d06b6db.jpeg

Firefighters struggled to control a major fire at a plastic waste-separating factory in Nakhon Ratchasima's Noen Sung district which began on Wednesday afternoon, and estimated that it would take another day or two to be completely extinguished.

Villagers in Ban Don Ree (Moo 5) and Ban Som (Moo 2) said they were worried about the health impacts of the acrid smoke. Some residents had moved to stay elsewhere. 

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation officials started an investigation to determine the cause of the fire. 

The fire broke out at around 3pm on Wednesday at the abandoned plastic waste factory in Ban Don Ree in Tambon Don Chomphu where hundreds of tonnes of plastic waste were ignited. 

Over 10 fire engines responded to the factory, which was abandoned nearly a decade ago as the previous owner reportedly faced a bankruptcy lawsuit and the property was passed onto a bank.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365803

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-14

I spent a month with my former Thai gf's family in a little village Sapsumboon (sp?), about 20 clicks south of Sa Keo. I tried to convince them how dangerous burning plastic was to their health. I think I got through better to their swine than I did to them. They JUST DON'T LISTEN.

Quotes:_

"(factory) abandoned nearly a decade ago"

"property was passed onto a bank"

Plastic rubbish lying around for almost 10 years and no action - disgraceful.

The bank should be prosecuted under environment protection laws.

BB - what environmental protection laws? Plastic laying around? I can go to any open field or piece of land in the city or countryside and find plastic and other debris laying around...

thailand is so far behind with any proper infrastructure of statues/enforcement/penalties that one is wasting their breadth to talk about accountabilities and liabilities....

under usa law, the whole country would be declared a superfund site...I joke about it, but sadly I am not too far off...

Archived