Beauty Tip Needed

Sheryl

I don't know about elsewhere in LOS but where I am it's rained twice recently.

Now, just befiore that, I had been congragulating myself on finally finding the right hair cut. Then cameth the rain, and I was brought back to the simple reality of how humidity affects my hair.

My hair is ultra, ultra fine and also copious in quantity. The least bit of humidity in the air and it becomes a frizzled mess. If you saw that episode of "Friends" where Monica went to the Bahamas, that's sort of what I mean only a lot worse....

I've never had any luck with any type of hair product (spray, mousse, gel) etc and haven't event tried in years as all they seemed to do was make my hair sticky and require more frequent shampooing, and with hair as fine as mine shampoing is a big deal (more accurately, getting the hair dry afterwards is)...

But now I am thinking that time has passed, new products are on the market, and maybe one of you gals can suggest something.....????

With thanks from a frizz-be

Don't know, as my hair is the opposite - thick & coarse, but I have seen products by well known hairstylists (I think Trevor Sorbie, but it may be John Frieda) called "Frizz-ease" or similar in Boots. Maybe something like that would work?

I have fine hair but lots of it too (not ultra fine) The only thing that works in LOS is to buy some frizz-eze by John Frieda. I also find that blowdrying my hair helps as I use a big round brush whilst drying to smooth out the folicles & a small rub with some of the frizz-eze wax or serum keeps it smooth & non frizzy. For nights out or special occasions I always use ceramic hair straigtners as they "force" the folicles flat & not a lot will pop them back up. (not to be used too much as they dry out hair but great if you want a special sleek hair do)

Another option might be hair rebonding, it's like a reverse perm. Was thinkning about it myself when we are next over.

• 3 weeks later...

Sheryl, Its by John Frieda .

If you can't find it PM me, I am heading back to the US next month for a month and can bring you back a few tubes. Works like a charm. But, they also have other anti-frizz stuff you could try from both Watsons and Boots

Thanks Bambina, will try it, and thanks SBK for the offer, if I don't find it or something equally good I'll let you know.

Having finally triumphed in my 7 year battle with hard water stains I now feel ready to take on the hair problem....

Thanks Bambina, will try it, and thanks SBK for the offer, if I don't find it or something equally good I'll let you know.

Having finally triumphed in my 7 year battle with hard water stains I now feel ready to take on the hair problem....

You won the bathtub battle? Congrats. How???

If your hair is frizzy curly, swim in the ocean -- sea water makes it curl. Many Frieda-like products and also Thai brands (cheaper) are available in most groceries (even my corner shop). Just look for the clear liquid in a pump. Goes on sticky but soaks in to coat and tame the hair. Also, keep your hair covered in the sun to prevent drying damage.

You won the bathtub battle? Congrats. How???

Pumie Sticks...a miracle product!!!!

(Had to have them mailed in from the US)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know about elsewhere in LOS but where I am it's rained twice recently.

Now, just befiore that, I had been congragulating myself on finally finding the right hair cut. Then cameth the rain, and I was brought back to the simple reality of how humidity affects my hair.

My hair is ultra, ultra fine and also copious in quantity. The least bit of humidity in the air and it becomes a frizzled mess. If you saw that episode of "Friends" where Monica went to the Bahamas, that's sort of what I mean only a lot worse....

I've never had any luck with any type of hair product (spray, mousse, gel) etc and haven't event tried in years as all they seemed to do was make my hair sticky and require more frequent shampooing, and with hair as fine as mine shampoing is a big deal (more accurately, getting the hair dry afterwards is)...

But now I am thinking that time has passed, new products are on the market, and maybe one of you gals can suggest something.....????

With thanks from a frizz-be

Other than focusing on looking for products, you might want to consider the following options and cares to your ultra fine hair;

• It is important that you work closely with your hairdresser to create a short cut that maximizes your hair fullness levels. Do not use razor for cutting short styles on fine or thin hair textures. This is because the razor can cause lots of end splitting. Also, if the tresses are fine to begin with, the razor will cause the strands to be "too flyaway". Razor cuts may also leave marks on a short hair cut.
  • Consider chemicals to help swell the hair shaft. "Highlights and hair color" will help the hair cuticle to naturally swell giving the look of more texture.
  • It is a well-known secret that cleansing hair with volumizing shampoos will definitely add body and fullness to hair that is straight, fine or thinning.
  • Unless hair is damaged or tangles easily, a rinse-out conditioner is not recommended for helping to plump up fine strands. Conditioners will smooth the hair's cuticle which is great for hair that is curly, wavy or damaged, but it will tend to flatten hair that is naturally straight or slick and fine.
  • blasting fine hair with a cool or cold water final rinse will close the cuticle and help it to swell slightly. It also helps to add natural shine.
  • If fine hair tend to tangle easily, apply a very light detangling spray to only the area that tangles. Avoid adding conditioning detangling sprays or heat protecting leave-ins unless necessary. These will flatten fine strands.
  • One trick that will help to detangle fine hair without requiring heavy detanglers is to take one to two drops of pure rosemary essential oil and apply it to the palms of your hands. Massage the oil well into your palms and then use fingers to lightly run through damp hair in the areas that tangle. A few drops of rosemary oil can also be applied to your favorite hairbrush and used when your detangle your hair with your brush.
  • Towel blot hair to remove moisture and then apply products designed to give fine hair fullness. Many people with fine hair find that they achieve the best results when they use a different product for their roots then they use for the rest of their strands. Many people with fine tresses get great results when using a root booster along with a very light styling mousse designed to add lots of volume to hair.
  • My stylish suggests blow drying fine hair on the slowest hairdryer setting and only to remove excess moisture. Also recommends that fine hair be allowed to "air dry" which naturally builds in a fuller look to fine strands.
  • If you prefer to blow dry your hair, you have several options but should experiment with drying on the slowest and coolest setting. Cold air will also help the cuticle to swell and it will add shine. To build in extra fatness at the roots, experiment bending over at the waist and drying hair "upside down" focusing the direction of air flow up from the ends of the hair to the roots.
  • One potential mistake that people with fine hair make is finishing their style with heavy hairspray that will cause all that newly added volume to flatten over time. Use a very light hairspray that will help hold the shape you desire without flattening the volume. If you must use a shine product, use only one or two drops and apply to the palms of the heads. Massage well into the palms and then lightly brush over the top or your finished style. This technique will transfer just a tiny bit of shine product without weighing it down. To achieve a piecey look on just the ends, use a styling wax or paste or balms and apply just to the very edges of the style.

Hope is useful. :o

Sheryl, I can relate to frizz. I went prematurely gray at 24 (stress of being married to my husband, I think :o) Gray hair is coarser, wirier and curlier. In high humidity, or if I sweat alot, I have a big head of frizzy hair.

The anti-frizz products do work, to an extent. One thing I have found that helps is to use a leave-in conditioner, and leave it in. Also, lots of little stores sell those small scented bottles of olive oil (for hair). I rub a little bit of that in my wet hair in the morning and not only does it help moisturize but it does help reduce the frizz.

Biggest problem I have with alot of hair products is when I start sweating, it runs off my hair and into my eyes, making my eyes sting. The olive oil doesn't seem to do that.

How about beauty tips for face? I have tried using nuskin firming mask before and it works well for me. It has gotten rid of the blackheads that is growing on my nose. Any other good reccomendationS?

Edited by tinkerbelll

The anti-frizz products do work, to an extent. One thing I have found that helps is to use a leave-in conditioner, and leave it in. Also, lots of little stores sell those small scented bottles of olive oil (for hair). I rub a little bit of that in my wet hair in the morning and not only does it help moisturize but it does help reduce the frizz.

Unfortunately I can't use either olive oil or any of the oily stuff sold to put on hair, it seems never to sink in and my hair stays a gooey mess all day.

Currently using something by Toni 'n Guy (?) I bought at Boots, helps some but I'm still looking for better. Still can't locate john Frieda Frizz-Ease anywhere....

Unfortunately I can't use either olive oil or any of the oily stuff sold to put on hair, it seems never to sink in and my hair stays a gooey mess all day.

Currently using something by Toni 'n Guy (?) I bought at Boots, helps some but I'm still looking for better. Still can't locate john Frieda Frizz-Ease anywhere....

Perhaps your hair isn't as dry as mine then. I color every 3 weeks or so, so my hair is as dry as straw. Olive oil gets sucked right in :D

Departure is set for the 24th of April, return beginning of June, if you haven't found it by then, PM me and I'll get some for you before I come back :o

• 2 months later...
The anti-frizz products

You describe almost my exact hair situation in Thailand! Oh, the frizz! I seriously have pictures of me where I look like I have Ronald McDonald hair, it's so horrible.

I finally figured out two things that really helped:

1) I don't know if you're willing to go to this kind of effort, but I got so fed up with the frizz and also getting bad haircuts from hairdressers that were only used to cutting straight thai hair actually got my hair rebonded. instant zero frizz!

2) Before I got it rebonded I got this product which helped as well: senscience renew. I got it from Shiseido at Paragon. It's a silicon serum, and it was pretty good for helping with the frizz.

Good luck! :-)

Ok, my turn here.

Frizz is a result of hair that needs more moisture. Not necessarily more oil, but more moisture. You may need a deep conditioning treatment, but not a hot oil treatment, every week. The 30-minute kind, with a heat cap. Maybe twice a week while you recondition your poor frazzled hair. A spray bottle filled with water scented with a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil should be used several times a day to combat frizz. You should always allow your hair to air-dry. Yes, I know how long it takes to dry. Mine can take over 14 hours.

My hair frizzes only slightly, and only when it is very humid out, because I have only slightly curly hair (think loose spiral curls) and I wear it long enough (waist length) for a lot of the curl to pull out. But I can still get a halo effect on really humid days after washing it. I recommend this website for everybody with curly hair: http://www.naturallycurly.com/

Washing your hair too often is the usual cause of frizzy hair. I wash mine twice a week, but only lather the scalp and first 4 inches or so of hair. I put conditioner on the last 12 inches or so of hair, and I don't rinse it nearly as well as you'd think I should. It doesn't flatten my baby-fine hair because it's not at the roots. In between washing I use the Oriental Princess serum for Long Hair on the ends to keep them from getting too dry and fraying.

canadiangirl, did you get your rebonding done in thailand? & if so where & how much please?

I was really scared about all these stories of hair falling out and bad jobs (there are some horror stories on the net!) that I ignored my Thai friends suggestions of getting it done on the soi for 800B and I went to Shiseido at Paragon. If I recall it costs around 6000-7000B (it depends on how long your hair is.) Then you have to buy another almost 2000B of special shampoos, conditioners, and conditioning creams and silicon product to keep the hair in good condition.

There are probably WAY cheaper ways to get this done! If anyone knows of a good place that is cheaper, and is good at doing rebonding on farang hair (how long you leave the chemicals on, etc, etc, depends on the texture of the hair, how damaged it is so I want someone that is good at doing it on my kind of hair), please let me know for my next time in BKK! :-)

But I have to say: even at this steep rate, it was worth it! After that, no more frizz at all. You blow dry it and run a comb through it, and voila! It looks good and takes 10 minutes to style. I really found it was the best solution for dealing with my curly, frizzy hair in the Bangkok heat. I'm definitely getting it redone when I come back.

Plus back home, it's 600$ and up for rebonding!

Now I'm interested. I was of the impression that rebonding was the same as straightening and that it would make my hair straight and not able to style. is this not the case? Can I still set and style my hair?

My other concern was damage...I'm at the age where I have to color my hair and that has taken a toll as it is. How much further will rebonding (if done properly at an upscale place) damage it???

I don't mind the cost if it will give me unfrizzed, easy to style hair in Thailand at last!!!!

Now I'm interested. I was of the impression that rebonding was the same as straightening and that it would make my hair straight and not able to style. is this not the case? Can I still set and style my hair?

My other concern was damage...I'm at the age where I have to color my hair and that has taken a toll as it is. How much further will rebonding (if done properly at an upscale place) damage it???

I don't mind the cost if it will give me unfrizzed, easy to style hair in Thailand at last!!!!

That's exactly what I thought as well. I thought it was quite expensive but once it was done, I felt it was quite worth it.

I don't think you can really "style" your hair very much once it's rebonded. It does make your hair really, really, really straight. It also changes the texture --- once you see rebonded hair you can often tell that a Thai girl has rebonded hair, because the texture is very recognizable.

But for the first 6 months after getting it done, you're not supposed to wear a ponytail, or a hat, or put your hair behind your ears, etc -- because it apparently can destroy the rebonding. You have to make sure not to go to bed with wet hair. So I don't think you can do very much styling afterwards, at least I don't think you can start curling it, etc, etc.

My feeling is that rebonding is probably not for people who like doing lots of different things with their hair. But it was good for someone like me -- who doesn't like fussing with my hair, but just wants it to look good. By styling, I meant that I just blowdried it (not brushing it or anything), put some product in it, then combed it -- and it looked good, without having to style it with a brush or do anything fancy.

In theory, rebonding definitely damages your hair, as it is a chemical procedure. In my case, I was blowdrying my hair straight all the time, so it was less damaging to get it rebonded as a one shot, then take really good care of it, than to spend a million hours blowing it out every time I had a shower. But they give you a million products to minimize the damage: conditioner, then a conditioning cream, then a silicon product that protects against sun damage and heat, pollution, etc.

I color my hair too, and I'd warn you about coloring, I had it colored two weeks before rebonding, and it leached some of the color out, and I had to ask the hairdresser to put some of the color back in afterwards. I was rather annoyed at him for not telling me that this would happen, since he was the one who colored my hair. So maybe get it rebonded, then colored. I think you have to leave some time in between, not do both at once. But I didn't have too many problems with my hair being damaged. It looked quite good, was soft and silky.

Anyways, I didn't intend to write you such a long novel! :-) But personally, I'm defintely getting it redone when I come back to BKK, because it was really the solution to all my hair problems in Thailand.

Anyways, let me know how it goes if you get it done. I got it done by Joe @ Paragon, I don't know if he's still there, but he's quite cute. :-)