BS Strava Segments

Chomper Higgot

Having just upgraded my cycling computer I can now start to ‘enjoy’ live Strava Segments.

Primed with enthusiasm I started to search my usual training grounds for segments to test myself against.

What I’ve discovered is piles of BS. 

Segment leaders with recorded times equating to average speeds of 60 or more Kms per hour. Not the odd example but the norm is a recorded time that is simply unbelievable, often 10km/hour or more faster than the next fastest rider.

A check of these rider’s general performance reveals them to be mediocre. A check of Strava Segments with a similar road profiles in Europe or the US reveals far more believable results.

Claiming a 60/70 km/hour performance is one thing, sticking it on the internet something else entirely.

It seems Strava need to add a BS filter.

I think most are accidental - the person forgets to turn off their phone or tracking device as they drive home.  I avoid that risk by cycling out from home.

There is a simple means to "flag" results you think are bogus, if you are on the web site from your PC rather than your phone.

One bloke posted a KOM from the MRT Train on one of my segments.  I was quite proud, really; it is a good railway.  But I flagged it anyway.

To be fair I’m only playing with the ap at the moment but the presence of so many ‘questionable’ results makes it difficult to pick a realistic target.

That said, I’m having a great deal of fun plotting rides and training routes.

I guess I’ll just have to compete against the person I can never beat - myself.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

To be fair I’m only playing with the ap at the moment but the presence of so many ‘questionable’ results makes it difficult to pick a realistic target.

You can define your own segments and make them public (everybody) or private (only you).  There's no middle option, for followers, followees or fellow club members.

The segments I define are mostly longer - typically pub to pub - and don't attract a lot of strangers; they're also often not the most direct route by car.

As I mentioned on another thread, I have one segment that runs through a neighbouring suburb for 10 km, that you need to be lucky with the traffic lights.  Anyway, a few weeks ago we were out, and I managed to set a second-best overall time that lasted 20 minutes till the New Boy I'd been riding with uploaded his data and pipped me by a couple of seconds.  A couple of weeks later, we were even faster, but this time, the New Boy had had to get a taxi home, and uploaded his data first, so again I was second overall.

I'm the navigator for our group - it's the only way I can keep up; no-one else knows where we are going.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

For me, I'm never going to be first on a short segment that everyone does.  But there are a few names I recognise, and its pleasing to get ahead of them on the leader board.  The trouble is that the short segments have hundreds or thousands of participants, and you don't know where you stand.

Another thing that might distress you is when two roads run parallel, one following a different elevation from the other, you can register a segment even though you are riding on the other one - in my case, normally the flatter one.  

Hi, i think i get the gist of this topic. I know I am not a cyclist just wanted to make a few comments and see how they hold up. Trying to keep the sports part of the forum going even if its "just" cycling ????

As far as I get it your inputting tracks and others are too together with times to see who is best. This is done with an app. 

I did something similar with my rowing, however do you guys factor in how old the other party is how strong ect.

I know I never compare myself with others when lifting as there is just too much individual things that can influence. How do you make sure you set yourself a realistic target. I mean if you try to compete with someone who has lance Armstrongs genes your screwed.

How do you keep your expectations fair, i do know that competing keeps you motivated and might push you more. 

When i was young and trained with a friend (started at the same time) we would compete. In the end I won because I just had a better body for lifting (shorter arms better ratios then he did so i had mechanical advantage). But at fist it was fun and motivating. So I understand it. But how to choose the right person to compete with.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Hi, i think i get the gist of this topic. I know I am not a cyclist just wanted to make a few comments and see how they hold up. Trying to keep the sports part of the forum going even if its "just" cycling ????

As far as I get it your inputting tracks and others are too together with times to see who is best. This is done with an app. 

I did something similar with my rowing, however do you guys factor in how old the other party is how strong ect.

I know I never compare myself with others when lifting as there is just too much individual things that can influence. How do you make sure you set yourself a realistic target. I mean if you try to compete with someone who has lance Armstrongs genes your screwed.

How do you keep your expectations fair, i do know that competing keeps you motivated and might push you more. 

When i was young and trained with a friend (started at the same time) we would compete. In the end I won because I just had a better body for lifting (shorter arms better ratios then he did so i had mechanical advantage). But at fist it was fun and motivating. So I understand it. But how to choose the right person to compete with.

Mostly I 'compete'  with the people I ride with.  But since we are differing levels of fitness, in some cases the aim is to come close, in some cases to equal on one segment, in other cases, to be quicker in every segment.  But the most healthy competition is with yourself, to improve on your best times.

Some people complain that the segments make riding too competitive, and you don't enjoy the ride so much when half the riders suddenly hammer off in search of a Personal Best.  Most of the segments are short hill climbs, that tend to see people competing against each other, and putting in their maximum effort anyway, just to get to the top.  One of the things I've been trying to do recently is to take hills easy...

Back to the topic of the thread; a good indication that a segment time is valid if there was a credible cadence recorded as well, but you have to click on the time to open up the activity to see that; also the heart rate indicates if someone was hammering it on their bike at seventy down a hill or sitting in their car.

SC

Archived