Marriage/Civil Partnership Visa Approved - What Happens Next ?

A friend has just successfully applied for a Settlement Visa (Marriage/Civil Partnership) and his partner has a 6 month visa stamp in their passport.

He has asked.... "What happens next".

I presume that they will get married and, in the last month of the visa, the onus will be on him to make an application for FLR.

There has been no correspondence from UKVI and no information has been supplied on payment of the IHS.

Does anyone have any experience of this particular type of visa, or any reference point for what happens next.

Unless something has changed that I don't know about here is no NHS surcharge for a six month visa. And your wife is not allowed to work.

She needs to fly to the UK and then you need to organise the wedding and you need start work on the FLR application.????

You can't actually book the wedding until she has been in the UK for 15 days, if I remember. You will also need somebody to verify that she has been here and living here for that time. And it can't be you! My neighbour had to write a letter stating that she had and give the registry office a copy of her council tax bill.

My wife picked her marriage visa back in March 2016 and flew back to the UK the same night. We got married at the end of June and applied for FLR three days before her visa expired in September. I've just started the application for FLR number 2 which has to be in before the 26th April.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Indeed.

She flies to the UK and they get married.

She then applies online for Further Leave to Remain. She doesn't have to wait until her visa expires, but can do so immediatley after the marriage. It is at this stage that she has to pay the IHS surcharge and he has to again show he meets the financial requirement.

She cannot work until this FLR has been granted.

As rasg says, this FLR will last for 2.5 years at the end of which she applies for a further 2.5 years FLR and after that she applies to remain indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Newbie here. My partner and I are in exactly the same boat. Just about to fly her to London this week and also received no communications via the official channels except the 6 month visa. 

My question is regarding health care in the UK since the NHS surcharge doesn’t seem to apply. Is she able to register with a GP or visit a hospital during this 6 months or would we need some form of private healthcare in the event of emergency? Need to make sure I can keep her safe after all this work ????

Any advice greatly appreciated 

Best regards,

Andy

@Randster, I assume you mean the 6 month fiance settlement visa.

She is not entitled to NHS care, except emergency care in an A&E department, until after the marriage and she has been granted FLR.

She will pay her first NHS surcharge with her FLR application.

My wife and I registered with a doctor a couple of months after she came here but I had bought her a one year travel insurance policy with BUPA in Thailand to cover her just in case she needed medical care for any reason.

Many thanks for your replies and sorry for my slow reaction. Didn’t get a notification from the site ????

Can the bupa care in Thailand be purchased once I’m in the UK? Or do you know if an alternative could be bought in the UK? We’re flying to London tomorrow so quickly wrapping everything up.

Hope no issues upon arrival at Heathrow ????????

16 hours ago, Randster said:

Can the bupa care in Thailand be purchased once I’m in the UK? Or do you know if an alternative could be bought in the UK? We’re flying to London tomorrow so quickly wrapping everything up.

Hope no issues upon arrival at Heathrow ????????

I don't know if a non resident can buy a BUPA policy on arrival in the UK, she would have been better buying insurance in Thailand as soon as her trip was arranged.

This company allows the purchase of cover when travel has aready commenced, there may well be others.
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/get-a-quote

Archived