French expat, pregnant Thai woman killed in motorbike collision in Rawai

webfact

French expat, pregnant Thai woman killed in motorbike collision in Rawai

By The Phuket News

1553001805_1-org.jpg

Rawai Municipality rescue workers and police at the scene of the accident early this morning (Mar 19). Photo: Rawai Municipality rescue team

PHUKET: Three people have died in a motorbike collision in Rawai early this morning (Mar 19), including a 48-year-old French expat and a Thai woman who was five months pregnant, police have reported.

Rawai Municipality rescue workers and Chalong Police were called to the scene of the accident, opposite of the Rawai Health Center on Wiset Rd (see map below), at 1:05am.

At the scene officers found two wrecked motorbikes, one a white Ducati and the other a Honda Wave.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/french-expat-pregnant-thai-woman-killed-in-motorbike-collision-in-rawai-70768.php#opgz6RTfDes3AgBI.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-20

From the original article: 

“Also, what we can confirm is that no helmets were found at the scene. Other than that, all other details we are still investigating,” Capt Somkiet said." 

:angry:

3 minutes ago, Richard Kuklinski said:

Do you think the lack of proper public transport on Phuket could have anything to do with the high road fatality statistics here?

Yes, but also drunk driving and no helmets. 

Speed surely a factor in this horrendous accident. I drove through the destruction just seconds after the crash as people were still rushing to aid the now-deceased. Wreckage from the 2 bikes was strewn across both lanes and the hard-shoulder of the northbound side. What was left of the Ducati was (I'd guess) 10-20M further up the road, throttle still wide-open with it's engine revving at a very high rate.

You see this nightly at this spot. Big bikes, almost exclusively ridden by farang, come out of nearby bar complex and let rip up Wiset Road. Hopefully this horrible news might make more of those drivers think twice next time. 

RIP to all those who perished, most especially the unborn child who will never get a chance in life. 

17 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Hopefully this horrible news might make more of those drivers think twice next time. 

Ducati, no helmets, female passenger, speeding? drinking? Unfortunately getting them to think at all is the hard part.

23 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There was another Thai girl on the back of that Ducati who as far as I know is still alive as of 6pm yesterday

She was the lady described as 5 months pregnant, so perhaps the unborn child still has a chance.

As the road has a center divider I initially thought this must have involved a "ghost" rider.   However, it's now reported the Ducati collided with the rear of the scooter, presumably at a much greater speed.

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

She was the lady described as 5 months pregnant, so perhaps the unborn child still has a chance.

As the road has a center divider I initially thought this must have involved a "ghost" rider.   However, it's now reported the Ducati collided with the rear of the scooter, presumably at a much greater speed.

As far as I understand the pregnant lady was on the back of the Wave and has died. So did both drivers. Only the lady on the back of the Duicati has survived, but is in critical condition.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As far as I understand the pregnant lady was on the back of the Wave and has died. So did both drivers. Only the lady on the back of the Duicati has survived, but is in critical condition.

"The driver of a white Ducati model big bike was 48 year old French man Philippe Menduni. He died at the scene.

His passenger 44 years old Pannee Pongkan sustained serious injuries was taken to Vachira Hospital. Witnesses at the scene say she was five months pregnant."

Quoting from Thaiger  - I'm not going to argue about the accuracy or otherwise from local media sources.

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I truly hope this is the case. But other reports said that it was the Thai lady on the small bike who was pregnant. There are also conflicting reports about whether the this lady has since also died. I know people at the scene said she was moving, but that she had serious head trauma.

Probably some drunken dumbass riding the ducati at high speed do you need a bike like this on a road?  I am beginning to think these type of bikes should be banned along with the noisy Harley fatsters.

But you can die in the same way with a small Honda Clic!

6 hours ago, balo said:

RIP, another expat involved in a deadly accident , that's 3 in 5 days.  

I watched the farangs ride bikes and scooters in Koh Chang and Im surprised its not 20 a day.

Some conflicting reports here, I believe it was the younger woman on the small bike who was 5 months pregnant . It doesnt matter now, unfortunately it looks like nobody is surviving this terrible accident.

Such a shame when middle age guys have to prove themselves on BIG powerful bikes. It's a death wish of sorts and in this case proved so to be. I'm nervous on a Honda Wave let alone a Ducati.

RiP especially to the two Thais on their Wave.

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Probably some drunken dumbass riding the ducati at high speed <deleted> do you need a bike like this on a road?  I am beginning to think these type of bikes should be banned along with the noisy Harley fatsters.

With that logic, they, the government, would ban all cars with engines bigger than 1500cc.

Like guns, it isn't the vehicle or gun that kills, it is the operator. In this tragedy, the Frenchman on the Ducatti not only managed to kill himself and his passenger, but also kill or seriously injure two others. This is just news of the day, very sad, but tomorrow there will be new victims and new stories. TIT.

As far as banning powerful bikes and as you call them, Harley "fatsters", most of these bikes are driven properly by experienced people who respect their power and are capable of riding them safely. It is a small minority of, usually, males, many of whom are tourists, who once they get something with a bit of power between their legs, lose all sense of reality and responsibility.

Archived