To day – my 1 year retirement extension experience using 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank

So to summarize you needed to show activity on day of application, which is the norm. You were asked to bring bankbook with you and bank letter, on your next 90 day report?

Would have been good if you had asked that if you where  travelling outside los at that time what is required. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Krungsri Bank confirmation letter has to be obtained on the same day as the application , and there has to be financial movement shown in the account on the same day of the retirement extension application .  I was also told that a Bank confirmation letter would only be valid on the day it was issued"

Daft requirement, if only they were more pragmatic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, davehowden said:

"I asked if I needed to again show my updated bank account book when doing my second 90 day report"

I wonder how this will affect the online 90 day reporting system.

Or by post, or if you don't do 90 day reports because of out of country. They really have thought this through haven't they!

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Krungsri Bank confirmation letter has to be obtained on the same day as the application , and there has to be financial movement shown in the account on the same day of the retirement extension application .  I was also told that a Bank confirmation letter would only be valid on the day it was issued"

Daft requirement, if only they were more pragmatic

I guess the banks will simply have to open earlier for those that are at immigration for the first few appointments.

The 800K in the bank makes less and less sense everyday, monthly income seems to be the route but no doubt they will soon screw around with that as well.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Thailand said:

The 800K in the bank makes less and less sense everyday, monthly income seems to be the route but no doubt they will soon screw around with that as well.

It will protect you against future BHT strengthening and no restrictions about how much you bring to Thailand every month, coding issue, etc, high SWIFT fees, etc. and you can use the best money transfer tool available to you. If a person earns less than 65K, this is will also work. Of course, there is a risk of losing investment money in home country and unpredicted loss of money from Thailand banks (extremely rare but reports in the newspapers do indicate that it has happened). It depends on the circumstances of each individual. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I can think of some reasons, why would you have to show some activity?  If the funds were in a timed deposit account such as a CD, would that now not be accepted?  If one had activity, one might drop below the required 800k baht.  Of course if they want to see activity I guess one could take out some monies, being careful to always keep the balance above 800k.  Are the Thais not fishing to see that people actually use the funds in the account?

• Thanks 1

CW has not required showing activity for my last two extensions. 

Updating the FD bankbook with current balance ~95 days prior, once at a random time during the 90 days,  and again when the bank letter is requested has been accepted.  Unless interest deposited/tax withdrawn the numbers don't change.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kinyara said:

I always do a 1,000 baht withdrawal and re-deposit on the day of my submission at the same time as getting my bank letter so the balance ties into the letter, kind of obvious I would have thought.

ATM, take a bit out, Update book, get bank letter.... fortunately I can then normally get to Immigration within an hour of that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why did you have to bring documents from your wife? Your extension was based on retirement, nothing to do with your wife, or am I missing something?

Its for proof of where you are residing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So to summarize you needed to show activity on day of application, which is the norm.

It has never been required of me at Jomtien. My 800k is on time deposit anyway, so the idea of updating the book on the day makes no sense. The only times that there is anything to update are the beginning or end of the term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

It has never been required of me at Jomtien. My 800k is on time deposit anyway, so the idea of updating the book on the day makes no sense. The only times that there is anything to update are the beginning or end of the term.

I'm just guessing that by updating the passbook they want 100% absolute verification that the account is still active on that date. Government bureaucracy and all that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

It will protect you against future BHT strengthening and no restrictions about how much you bring to Thailand every month, coding issue, etc, high SWIFT fees, etc. and you can use the best money transfer tool available to you. If a person earns less than 65K, this is will also work. Of course, there is a risk of losing investment money in home country and unpredicted loss of money from Thailand banks (extremely rare but reports in the newspapers do indicate that it has happened). It depends on the circumstances of each individual. 

I know very few pensioners who are pulling in 65K baht per month. It wouldn't surprise me if the 800K in bank method becomes standard protocol in a few years

Edited by jwdub
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I believe as far as Jomtiem is concerned  it just needs to be updated on that day, did it that way for years

It has never been required of me at Jomtien. As I pointed out, my time deposit bank book can never be updated anyway apart from at the end or beginning of a deposit term.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jwdub said:

I'm just guessing that by updating the passbook they want 100% absolute verification that the account is still active on that date. Government bureaucracy and all that. 

Probably required to insist on same day to comply with the letter of the law which states on the day of application. Yes it would be more pragmatic if the law had allowed previous business day also, but we have to accept how things are.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MrScratch said:

So this time I was told that a movement of money in the bank account used for the application has to be shown on the same day as the application . So I asked the young lady what in her view would now be the best course of action .  She said go to the nearest Krungsri bank and deposit 100 Baht in the account . Then come back to the immigration office with the now updated Krungsri bank book.

Yes, First time I applied for retirement visa last September, just went to Kasikorn Bank inside Chaengwattana and did a 500 baht deposit, then had the bank manager there approve the bank book and made a copy of the last page of the book that had the new deposit from that day, as already had the other pages copied. 

One thing not mentioned by OP, I had print out a map with address of the house where I live on google maps and give that to them. 

• Thanks 1