To day – my 1 year retirement extension experience using 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank

15 hours ago, attrayant said:

At CW in Bangkok they are handing out an informational paper showing the new two-month-before (not three) rule, just FYI.  I got a copy of it.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He is not applying at CW. 

Yes, and as most of us know... 

...ridiculously inconsistent rules, regs, enforcement, lack of understanding and interpretations from one office to the next. No surprise at all about that. 

It's absolute lunacy about the same day activity BS. A load of ludicrous, that. Serves no purpose other than to put the applicant out and highly inconvenienced with petty nonsense. TIT to the MAX. :bah:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

But he had a Yellow Housebook, thought that would have been enough.

My Immigration office in Chiang Mai province will not accept the yellow house book because it’s issued by the District Office.

Recently renewed my two drivers licenses the DLT would only accept the Pink ID if I renewed the licenses for 2 years despite the ID being for life so had to obtain the residency certificate from Immigration.

They then issued the licenses for six years !

Extension of stay

*Householder

*Wife

*2 kids

All foreigner

plus re-entry for all

Done as smooth as silk.

NO mentioning of showing bankbook in 90 day reporting.

3 hour job...everybody happy

NongKhai 20-03=2019

11 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

My Immigration office in Chiang Mai province will not accept the yellow house book because it’s issued by the District Office.

Recently renewed my two drivers licenses the DLT would only accept the Pink ID if I renewed the licenses for 2 years despite the ID being for life so had to obtain the residency certificate from Immigration.

They then issued the licenses for six years !

Not sure what you mean with the "District Office", but last time I renewed my licenses (Jan-2019), they had no complaints about the "Yellow House book".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He is not applying at CW. 

Right - yes I actually did read the OP.  I'm just pointing out that different offices are following different rules.  

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can you post a copy/photo of that document here in the thread????

Here's a scan of it:

001.thumb.jpg.c33603c77277bd14dbdd5902f21f4649.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thailand said:

The 800K in the bank makes less and less sense everyday, monthly income seems to be the route but no doubt they will soon screw around with that as well.

It will make more and more sense as people with the income letters are finally gone.

The income method will have so many issues and challenges it is I believe, the worst possible choice for this year and in the future.  The OP's issue was very simply resolved, but think what you want.

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Not sure what you mean with the "District Office", but last time I renewed my licenses (Jan-2019), they had no complaints about the "Yellow House book".

It’s the Amphur, my wife and others sometimes refer to it as the District Office.

The DLT office I use is in Fang strange that they accepted the ID card and yellow book when I bought the last new car about 2years ago.

I have reached the stage now I cannot be bothered arguing as it achieves nothing it’s no big deal to get the residency certificate the local office arrange it for a fee.

Interestingly I wonder what the Burmese people use to renew their license ( if they have one) as they only are issued with pink IDs cannot imagine them obtaining residency certificates.

32 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Right - yes I actually did read the OP.  I'm just pointing out that different offices are following different rules.  

Here's a scan of it:

001.thumb.jpg.c33603c77277bd14dbdd5902f21f4649.jpg

Seems like number 5 is saying that you can use a modified income method.  Is it saying that you can deposit income of various amounts and a various amounts as long is you have 800K in the bank at the time of application.  It would also imply that you could deposit income into the bank with one deposit of 800K.

Have been doing retirement extensions at Korat for last nine years and as it takes me one and half hours to get there have always obtained bank letter and update the day before, no problem until last month when I got the "must be same day" mantra. 

Thankfully they are a fairly friendly bunch and managed to get a "OK, next time" let off.

Curiously, no mention of coming back in three months to show B800,000 still in account. 

1 hour ago, wreckingcountry said:

Madness ! So need to take money out or put money in account on day of application! Why? And I understood it is 800,000 for 2 months before application not 3 !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Madness for you.

Simplicity for others...

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

20 years of retirement visas and only had problems one time - when I took my wife.  The Imm guy wanted a lease from my rented condo.  Since I rented month to month didn't have one. 

Now I never take wife and never speak Thai.  No problems.  Your mileage may vary.  I go 30 days before so any problems I can solve in a timely manner. 

Yes ha.

They know you are bringing a potential bully and they do not like it at all.

I would never bring a Thai gf/wife to immigration.

If you are a man, figure it out...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Seems like number 5 is saying that you can use a modified income method.  Is it saying that you can deposit income of various amounts and a various amounts as long is you have 800K in the bank at the time of application.

No it does not mean that. That is what is often called the combination option.

You need a total of your annual income and a deposit in a Thai bank totaling 800k baht.

If you cannot get proof of income from your embassy the monthly income will proven by 12 transfers into a Thai bank account.

I've done several extensions using the 800,000 scheme and never did any movement with my bank account on the day I was doing the extension--just got the letter from the bank.  I use Jomtien Immigration.  I guess I will make a deposit into the account to be on the safe side.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So to summarize you needed to show activity on day of application, which is the norm. You were asked to bring bankbook with you and bank letter, on your next 90 day report?

Would have been good if you had asked that if you where  travelling outside los at that time what is required. 

To show the balance at your bankbook, you just do a Bankbook UPDATE (together with the bank's confirmation letter) the same day as your presentation at Immigration. 

An update shows the date and the balance of that day. 

No need to do any withdrawal/deposit

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

I've done several extensions using the 800,000 scheme and never did any movement with my bank account on the day I was doing the extension--just got the letter from the bank.  I use Jomtien Immigration.  I guess I will make a deposit into the account to be on the safe side.

Last November CW in Bangkok ask me to do a small deposit/withdrawal the same day I was applying for a 1 year extension. I withdrew 1000 baht and updated my bank book. I don’t think they care about the exact balance in your account but just that you exceed that 800,000 baht threshold. 

1 hour ago, wreckingcountry said:

Madness ! So need to take money out or put money in account on day of application! Why? And I understood it is 800,000 for 2 months before application not 3 !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In my mind, the reason to have the bankbook updated with a new entry just prior to doing your renewal is to verify the seasoning requirement.  If the last entry in your bankbook is 2 or 3 months old there is no way to prove your balance never went below the required amount (you could have made a withdrawal taking the balance below 800k and topped it up at a later date).  The Bank letters I got never mentioned the seasoning of the account just the balance on the day of the letter.

I been doing my retirement extension of stays at Chaengwattana (Bangkok) immigration for around the last 8 years using the Bt800K in the bank method.  I pretty much just let the money grow...rarely do a withdrawal or deposit...pretty much just interest payments being made by the bank being the only transactions.

First four years with a Bangkok Bank fixed deposit.  Last four years with a Krungsri Bank Mee Tai Dai account.   I would get the letter issued same day at the branches within some building as immigration.

With the Bangkok Bank fixed account they would always do a Balance Forward transaction which forces a current day printout into your passbook.  No need to deposit/withdraw some money to get a current day balance print into the passbook.

With Krungsri Bank they do not do a Balance Forward transaction but instead request you do a small deposit or withdrawal of Bt100 which then allows their system to print a current day balance since the balance changed due to the withdrawal/deposit. 

Then both banks would complete the letter....off to immigration I go...immigration always accepted the bank letters.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khunangkaro said:

To show the balance at your bankbook, you just do a Bankbook UPDATE (together with the bank's confirmation letter) the same day as your presentation at Immigration. 

With some banks unless there is a balance change it will just reprint the balance of a past date of the last deposit/withdrawal.  And the type of account, fixed saving or regular savings, can affect what kind of printout/update you can get.

But some banks will print a B/F (Balance Forward) transaction with the current date even if balance has not changed in months.  Put your passbook into the passbook update machine and if your bank uses the B/F concept it would print a new line entry each of those 10 times you insert the passbook. 

Yeap, depends on your bank in how they handle passbook updates....and the type of account you have.

Edited by Pib

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes ha.

They know you are bringing a potential bully and they do not like it at all.

I would never bring a Thai gf/wife to immigration.

If you are a man, figure it out...

I've always brought my Thai wife with me to Immigration when doing my long series of retirement extensions. The female IOs at BKK CW always seem to prefer to talk to her in Thai vs. try to barely talk to me in English. And as long as the IOs are happy, I'm happy. Have never had any problems with them. They're always very polite and social with my wife. And everything seems to go smoothly.

Plus the added benefit may be -- now, that I'm not going to be doing retirement extensions any more with the demise of my Embassy's income letters -- at least the IO's I deal with every year will recognize the wife and I when we go rolling in next time to apply for my first marriage-based extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khunangkaro said:

It depends on your imm office and even then it depends on the io. Read this thread and many others. Some times required sometimes not. Also the update means little. Often io wish to see activity on day of application. Usually a 100baht deposit. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

1 hour ago, Pib said:

With the Bangkok Bank fixed account they would always do a Balance Forward transaction which forces a current day printout into your passbook.

Hey Pib, what the heck is a "Balance Forward transaction"?  And is it something you've encountered elsewhere, or it only a BKKB thing?  Never heard that term before.

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hey Pib, what the heck is a "Balance Forward transaction"?  And is it something you've encountered elsewhere, or it only a BKKB thing?  Never heard that term before.

Well, Bangkok Bank uses this type of transaction.  As talked in this thread with some banks unless it's some type of transaction such as a deposit or withdrawal has been made when you stick your passbook into the passbook update machine (or a bank rep does it at the counter) the passbook will only be updated to show the last transaction and the date it occurred.   Say your last deposit/withdrawal was two months ago...you go update you passbook....and the line entry it prints is that transaction from two months ago with a two months ago date....or no new line entry will be printed at all. 

The only way to get a "current date" printout of your balance is a Balance Forward (B/F) transaction which like it implies is it brings the balance forward to the current date...prints the balance with the current date.   Some Thai banks do this; some don't.   

The banks that don't utilize a B/F transaction would require you to make a deposit or withdrawal "today" in order to get the passbook balance entry with "today's" date.    I have to do that every year with my Krungsri account....go in...ask for the letter....they immediately tell me in order to get a passbook update entry with "today's date" I need to make a Bt100 deposit or withdrawal (really it could be off any amount....even 1 baht or 1 million baht....doesn't have to be Bt100).  So, I make Bt100 deposit...they get the passbook to show the new balance with today's date....then they go make the bank letter with today's date.   

This coming year I may do a Bt100 withdrawal at their (Krungsri) ATM and then update the passbook in the update machine before the branch doors open at 8:30am...then when I ask the teller for the bank letter we don't have to do the Bt100 deposit/withdrawal thingie as I just did it minutes earlier.  But if I remember right, last year I had the same plan but their ATM was not working so I had to do it with the teller.  

• Like 1