Stop Brexit: A million people sign UK petition to stay in EU

webfact

15 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I went in a Poundland shop in South London today and not one of the 'assistants' were English. Mind you I was probably the only Englishman in the place

How do you know? Did you see the passports of all the staff and all the other customers?

I asked one woman where they kept a certain item and she said, 'Sorry no speak English'.

Really? Are you seriously saying that a major High Street chain employs front line staff who can't speak to their customers.?

If British people applied for vacancies at Lidl, Poundland or any other store, they would, if qualified, get them; they certainly would have as much chance as any EEA national.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Benroon said:

Have you reported her ? She would have to prove the people she rejected were inferior to the poles she employed and if she couldn't her company is in the brown stuff !

You're joking, if he did that he'd be carted off to the local nick and charged with hate crime before you could say Tommy Robinson.

Discrimination in employment on the grounds of nationality is a crime; except for certain government jobs such as Border Force officers who have to be British.

If @nontabury's mythical Polish women does exists and is doing what he claims then she is breaking the law and should be reported.

When were you last in the UK!

I live here; and my work takes me all over. In March I have for work visited Hull, Leeds, Sheffield, Blackpool, Morecombe, Leicester, Kettering, Middlesbrough, Lymington, Watford, Lewisham. Greenwich and more.  

How about you?

In all those places I visited many supermarkets, not just because that's part of what my job entails, but also for buying sarnies for lunch. Contrary to your claimed experience, every staff member I spoke to could speak English!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Next time you're in London let me know.

I'll bet you 100 quid I can take you into a Poundland shop where one of the staff will reply 'No speak English' or words to that effect when you try to speak to her. 

You need to be more specific. London's a big place!

While you're at it you can ask to see all the relevant passports yourself at the same time

You're the one who claims no one at your local Poundland, staff or customer, is English; up to you to provide the evidence. 

Then we'll visit a building site and you can ask if you can get a start as a  general labourer. Get one and I'll give you 100 quid. Fail and you give me 100 quid

If you knew anything about the building trade you would know that simply turning up at a site and asking for a job would get you nowhere. For starters you would need PPE and while a CSCS card is not a legal requirement, you are very unlikely to get a job on any but the smallest of sites without one.

I do visit sites for work from time to time so do have the all required PPE; but my CSCS card is as a site visitor, so I would not be able to work onsite as a labourer; or in any other capacity.

See here for what is required to obtain a CSCS card as a labourer.

But, as with @nontabury's mythical Polish woman, with the exception of HMG in certain circumstances, any employer, including building sites or supermarkets, who discriminates on, among other things, nationality and so refuses to employ British workers is breaking the law and should be reported if known about.

Edited by 7by7
Added link to details of CSCS card for labourers.
  • Like 1

A little bit of research shows that for the UK as a whole between 2014 and 2016 (the latest figures I can find) 90% of workers in construction were British, 7% were other EU nationals, including Irish, and 3% were from elsewhere (Source)

The figures vary, and in London about 28% are EU nationals, including Irish.

But this is down to skills shortages in the indigenous, local labour market rather than a deliberate plot by employers to favour EU nationals over Brits. Which would, of course, be illegal.

Edited by 7by7
Typo

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Next time you're in London let me know.

I'll bet you 100 quid I can take you into a Poundland shop where one of the staff will reply 'No speak English' or words to that effect when you try to speak to her. While you're at it you can ask to see all the relevant passports yourself at the same time

Then we'll visit a building site and you can ask if you can get a start as a  general labourer. Get one and I'll give you 100 quid. Fail and you give me 100 quid.

Maybe she just thought you were a queer hawk and used the "no speak English" line to get shot of you?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

You need to be more specific. London's a big place!

You're the one who claims no one at your local Poundland, staff or customer, is English; up to you to provide the evidence. 

If you knew anything about the building trade you would know that simply turning up at a site and asking for a job would get you nowhere. For starters you would need PPE and while a CSCS card is not a legal requirement, you are very unlikely to get a job on any but the smallest of sites without one.

I do visit sites for work from time to time so do have the all required PPE; but my CSCS card is as a site visitor, so I would not be able to work onsite as a labourer; or in any other capacity.

See here for what is required to obtain a CSCS card as a labourer.

But, as with @nontabury's mythical Polish woman, with the exception of HMG in certain circumstances, any employer, including building sites or supermarkets, who discriminates on, among other things, nationality and so refuses to employ British workers is breaking the law and should be reported if known about.

@nontabury  Polish woman is not mythical there are many ways to circumvent Uk empolyment laws to exclude UK nationals

you only have to search google for example polish speaking jobs uk

here is one example young team (27yo in average) ( Are they breaking age discrimination) i don't know but here the killer

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Maybe she just thought you were a queer hawk and used the "no speak English" line to get shot of you?

And I'll thank you to keep your homophobic remarks to your self if you don't mind.

My sexuality or lack of it has nothing to do with the subject under discussion

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bomber said:

Ya = your   as you well know

In what part of the world do they pronounce 'your' as 'ya'?

Not even Jocks say ya hoose. I was married to a Geordie for a while so I learnt a bit of their lingo and even they don't pronounce 'your' as 'ya'.

The few Cockneys that are left certainly do not, West Country cider suppers and East Anglian turnip bashers don't. Neither do the Irish, North Americans nor the Anzacs.

Some of us might say 'Sell your house' where it might be pronounced and spelled as 'yer' as in 'Sell yer 'ouse' but not pronounced nor spelled as 'ya' unless you live in some strange remote community with a dialect most people are unfamiliar with.

Anyway we now know that in future when you use the word 'ya' it should be translated into English as 'your'.

4 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

In what part of the world do they pronounce 'your' as 'ya'?

Not even Jocks say ya hoose. I was married to a Geordie for a while so I learnt a bit of their lingo and even they don't pronounce 'your' as 'ya'.

The few Cockneys that are left certainly do not, West Country cider suppers and East Anglian turnip bashers don't. Neither do the Irish, North Americans nor the Anzacs.

Some of us might say 'Sell your house' where it might be pronounced and spelled as 'yer' as in 'Sell yer 'ouse' but not pronounced nor spelled as 'ya' unless you live in some strange remote community with a dialect most people are unfamiliar with.

Anyway we now know that in future when you use the word 'ya' it should be translated into English as 'your'.

Grammar police or what....get a life for christs sake

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

Hang on a minute, if my memory serves me correct, you said you work as a driving instructor. 

Your memory plays you false. I have said that I used to work as a driving instructor until I had to give it up for medical reasons over 10 years ago.

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

How can you possible prosecute the Polish lady. All she has to say, is that in her opinion, she’s employing the best person for the job. They just happen to be Polish, not Brits, Romanian, Czech etc,. 

That would be a defense were her existence not mere hearsay. But she would have to prove it if she consistently employed Poles instead of Brits.

11 hours ago, vinny41 said:

@nontabury  Polish woman is not mythical there are many ways to circumvent Uk empolyment laws to exclude UK nationals

you only have to search google for example polish speaking jobs uk

here is one example young team (27yo in average) ( Are they breaking age discrimination) i don't know but here the killer

According to @nontabury, his mythical Polish woman did not require Polish speakers, she discriminated by only employing Poles; as he confirms in the post above yours 

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

How can you possible prosecute the Polish lady. All she has to say, is that in her opinion, she’s employing the best person for the job. They just happen to be Polish, not Brits, Romanian, Czech etc,. 

Requiring certain skills, such as fluency in a specific language, in order to qualify for a job is not illegal; provided the employer can, if required, show that those skills are necessary for the job.

For example; again from Indeed:

Thai Chef 

Swan Cranfield Ltd

Cranfield

Thai Chef / Wok Chef - Full Time 

Khanom Krok

London

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

According to @nontabury, his mythical Polish woman did not require Polish speakers, she discriminated by only employing Poles; as he confirms in the post above yours 

Requiring certain skills, such as fluency in a specific language, in order to qualify for a job is not illegal; provided the employer can, if required, show that those skills are necessary for the job.

For example; again from Indeed:

Thai Chef 

Swan Cranfield Ltd

Cranfield

Thai Chef / Wok Chef - Full Time 

Khanom Krok

London

Both of those Thai Chef jobs didn't specify a requirement to speak Thai  where has the advert that states Native Polish language indicates they are only looking for Polish nationals and no requirement listed to speak English there are hundreds of job adverts similar to those so Its interesting if you search for jobs with a requirement of cockney language you will find zero

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Both of those Thai Chef jobs didn't specify a requirement to speak Thai  where has the advert that states Native Polish language indicates they are only looking for Polish nationals and no requirement listed to speak English there are hundreds of job adverts similar to those so Its interesting if you search for jobs with a requirement of cockney language you will find zero

Drat....????

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

If you think they are breaking the law; report them.

Report these from Indeed while you are at it:

Thai Speaking Telephone Interviewer. No sales involved.

People who speak Thai proficiency level*. You will work speaking your own language. 

Hmm, 'speaking your own language.' Not English then.

Thai-speaking International Communications Representative

Exceptional use and understanding of Central Thai as well as English (native-level fluency is essential for both English and Thai)..

This one; 'native level fluency,' so do they want English people or Thai people? Maybe dual nationals only!

How about this one

Attention: English native speaker Nanny Needed for Our Child - 

Going to report that?

You are clutching at straws; stop before you embarrass yourself further.

• Confused 1

Just now, nontabury said:

In viney41 post,he gave some examples of employers requiring Polish workers, no mention of Polish speakers.

But your hearsay example didn't.

I have now given examples of adverts requiring Thai speakers; and English speakers!

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

Now, I do know you have never lived in Thailand, if you had, you would  know that the Thais ALWAYS give preference to their fellow citizens.

Irrelevant; we are talking about employment law in the UK, not Thailand.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

This was something I personally never had an issue with during my 20yrs in Thailand

So you never complained about dual pricing, for example? fair play, neither have I.

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

They also at one time had a political party called Thai RAK Thai, meaning Thai Loves Thai. Perhaps you could form a political party in the UK called Brits HATE Brits.

To paraphrase Dr. Johnson "Accusations of non patriotism are the last refuge of the incompetent!"

As for May's deal; I asked the following before.

May's deal means we:

Leave the customs union,

Leave the single market,

Leave the freedom of movement directive,

Leave the common agricultural policy,

Leave the common fisheries policy,

Leave the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

So what don't you like about it?

No one has been able to answer thus far; can you?

11 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

May's deal means we:

Leave the customs union,

Leave the single market,

May's deal means we:

Leave the customs union

Not immediately. NI backstop permitting.

Leave the single market,

Yes. Very difficult for British companies to sell their goods in Europe (50% of the market) post Brexit. 

Not immediately, several clauses attached to that.

Yes. Wealthy farmers have received many millions I subsidies from the CAP. Those susidies will be taken over by the government. Another drain on the£350 million/week that we won't be paying the EU. By the time that all the maggots have had their nibble, there'll be nothing left.

Yes. Expect a new cod war (we lost the last one)

Not immediately.

Edited by Spidey

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As for May's deal; I asked the following before.

May's deal means we:

Leave the customs union,

Leave the single market,

That’s the problem, it’s not the implementation of the People’s Democratic vote. It’s not actually leaving the E.U.

In fact it’s an International reconised agreement to remain in the E.U.

with no guarantee that we will ever leave this so called onion.

CA75647A-F3E7-4D9C-925F-72367C661CA6.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If you think they are breaking the law; report them.

Report these from Indeed while you are at it:

Thai Speaking Telephone Interviewer. No sales involved.

People who speak Thai proficiency level*. You will work speaking your own language. 

Hmm, 'speaking your own language.' Not English then.

Thai-speaking International Communications Representative

Exceptional use and understanding of Central Thai as well as English (native-level fluency is essential for both English and Thai)..

This one; 'native level fluency,' so do they want English people or Thai people? Maybe dual nationals only!

How about this one

Attention: English native speaker Nanny Needed for Our Child - 

Going to report that?

You are clutching at straws; stop before you embarrass yourself further.

Your the one that is clutching at straws , you tried to debunk @nontabury claim of  discrimination as mythical where the reality is discrimination is rife throughout the entire UK including White Hetrosexual males /females being discriminated

Police discriminated against white heterosexual male, tribunal finds

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/police-white-heterosexual-male-discrimination-job-cheshire-matthew-furlong-a8793331.html

• Like 1