Pheu Thai claims to have enough support to form post-election coalition

webfact

Pheu Thai claims to have enough support to form post-election coalition

Phumtham-Wetchayachai.png

Pheu Thai Party, which has apparently emerged as the winner in last Sunday’s general election, has gathered enough support from its political allies to cobble up a coalition government, its secretary general Phumtham Vechayachai claimed this morning.

Phumtham said Pheu Thai and these parties command enough MPS to form a majority government but declined to name them.

However, he  admitted that Bhumjaithai Party, a mid-sized party, which is now seen as a king-maker in the post-election scenario,  has yet make a commitment in joining the coalition.  Phumtham denied media reports that Pheu Thai has offered Bhumjaithai leader Anutin Charnvirakul the post of prime minister in return.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-claims-to-have-enough-support-to-form-post-election-coalition/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-26

The outcome of this statement will become clearer once the amount of pressure being applied to BJT becomes apparent. 

I think if PTP offered BJT the premiership then that would trump any offer from PRPP as Prayut would be taken out of the equation as he is their candidate, and that simply cannot happen for PRPP to live up to their own hype and Prayuts ego. 

But are PTP willing to give up their aspirations of PTP having someone at the helm of the country again? If they are playing the long game it could be a good bet to get BJT on board and then call a snap election when PRPP are weaker and the playing field is flatter? Politics is after all a continuous game that never ends.

Also be interesting if BJT were they to be offered the premiership would legalise MJ

5 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The outcome of this statement will become clearer once the amount of pressure being applied to BJT becomes apparent. 

I think if PTP offered BJT the premiership then that would trump any offer from PRPP as Prayut would be taken out of the equation as he is their candidate, and that simply cannot happen for PRPP to live up to their own hype and Prayuts ego. 

But are PTP willing to give up their aspirations of PTP having someone at the helm of the country again? If they are playing the long game it could be a good bet to get BJT on board and then call a snap election when PRPP are weaker and the playing field is flatter? Politics is after all a continuous game that never ends.

Also be interesting if BJT were they to be offered the premiership would legalise MJ

The BJT is one of the most corrupt parties, and real mercenary. So it remains to be seen if the PTP can make a coalition. I for one would not mind a coalition like that but it would not be stable. FFW does not like corruption that much so it might break away (or risk losing its voters) if it gets too bad.

I would like to hope FFW keeps the goverment a bit more honest, plus if they are more honest there is less chance of the junta using it against them. A coalition like this would be good as it seriously weakens the power of the PTP compared to when they had more votes. This mean no stupid stunts like bringing Thaksin back or other things that are highly controversial as now there are more parties that can voice their objections. So in a way this is a good thing.

I would certainly prefer a coalition like this over a junta coalition. 

Let's stop this idiocy, the Phui Thai party is Taksin and his only way of ever having a shot of coming back to Thailand. That is not going to happen and whether it's a coalition to ensure that Prayut and his boys stay in power or the Military says enough is enough the Phui Thai is NEVER going to able to form a government. So for the next four years all they are going to be able to do is obstruct, obstruct, obstruct.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The BJT is one of the most corrupt parties, and real mercenary. So it remains to be seen if the PTP can make a coalition. I for one would not mind a coalition like that but it would not be stable. FFW does not like corruption that much so it might break away (or risk losing its voters) if it gets too bad.

I would like to hope FFW keeps the goverment a bit more honest, plus if they are more honest there is less chance of the junta using it against them. A coalition like this would be good as it seriously weakens the power of the PTP compared to when they had more votes. This mean no stupid stunts like bringing Thaksin back or other things that are highly controversial as now there are more parties that can voice their objections. So in a way this is a good thing.

I would certainly prefer a coalition like this over a junta coalition. 

BJT are a disgrace, how can a party stand with no principles (i.e. we'll support whoever's supporting us), their whole platform is patronage (i.e. mates of mates), the weed and grab concepts were shams to say the least (I support both but belated stolen and misleading ideas from BJT)

7 minutes ago, perthuniversity said:

BJT are a disgrace, how can a party stand with no principles (i.e. we'll support whoever's supporting us), their whole platform is patronage (i.e. mates of mates), the weed and grab concepts were shams to say the least (I support both but belated stolen and misleading ideas from BJT)

I get what u say but you have to see it this way:

A bunch of stoners tricked thousands of carreer politicians into let them run a <deleted> country. It's absolutely genius 5d chess ???? 

It is so thai logicy that it could in fact only happen in thailand. 

If Thailand is forced back to a similar corrupt, fractious, multi party government as it had in the 90's, then it would be worth remembering just what the immediate outcome of that was.  Good for foreigners living here, but not so good for the country.

At this point, after 5 years of making laws, inventing its own constitution and with a massive amount of uniforms in harness, I see no way that PT will be allowed to form a govt. Something will ensure it doesn't happen and it wont need to be believable or credible, just possible.

More likelihood for Sudarat to step aside for Anutin than Prayut. Anutin exTRT banned for 5 years may have a bone to pick against the junta. He is close to Thaksin and also to the big guy on top. So far he kept his distance between Thaksin and Prayut wisely. Now that Newin the betrayal not the party chief, Anutin can set his own political course. He is already a very rich dude and money may not incentivize him but self esteem. I also think the 250 appointed senators can be “influenced” and may not vote on partisan line. Let’s see. 

50 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Let's stop this idiocy, the Phui Thai party is Taksin and his only way of ever having a shot of coming back to Thailand. That is not going to happen and whether it's a coalition to ensure that Prayut and his boys stay in power or the Military says enough is enough the Phui Thai is NEVER going to able to form a government. So for the next four years all they are going to be able to do is obstruct, obstruct, obstruct.

Get a paper bag..lean forward slightly (but not too far) breathe gently (but not vigorously) until you relax..that's it..relax...relax..

Remember it's all in Charles Dodgson's imagination-a work of fiction.as they say..

No need to be affrighted.

His sister and Phua Thai ran the country for a few years and he didn't come back.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He can be back but not his followers judging from the backlash his party got in the election.

Plus it's much harder to frame the argument when the opposition is the young / students squeaky clean Future Forward supporters rather than the same old Thaksin bogeyman arguments. Those leavers have just stopped working. If the students/peasants come out in the streets in peaceful demos at a stolen election then we are in a whole new ball game. 

34 minutes ago, daboyz1 said:

His sister and Phua Thai ran the country for a few years and he didn't come back.

Yup......... You are so correct about that....... I think he will die long before his family/buddies 'find a way' To get him back.....

One possibility IS him coming back and being locked up in prison....... Then shortly after being pardoned by somebody with that power, then he could be back on the streets again...........

1 hour ago, harada said:

I can see the mouth from the south back on the streets with his "collection bags" before long.

Well, he needs something to keep him busy, after all, he did fail to get a seat in parliament!

Oh, how I chuckled...

Yup......... You are so correct about that....... I think he will die long before his family/buddies 'find a way' To get him back.....
One possibility IS him coming back and being locked up in prison....... Then shortly after being pardoned by somebody with that power, then he could be back on the streets again...........
I think the only way he comes back here is for his funeral.

2 hours ago, daboyz1 said:

Yingluck's amnesty bill to bring her brother back to Thailand is precisely what triggered the protests leading to the coup in the first place.

If you want to credit someone for preventing Thaksin's return that would be Prayut Chan-o-cha.  For the full story you need to go back and understand who Prayut worked for. 

What day is it in Thailand?  It's groundhog day!

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

If Thailand is forced back to a similar corrupt, fractious, multi party government as it had in the 90's, then it would be worth remembering just what the immediate outcome of that was.  Good for foreigners living here, but not so good for the country.

The process has to work itself out.  Thais need to vote and be able to talk about politics without fear.  Lived in Malaysia.  There it took years to vote out the corrupt, but it happened the right way. 

Have heard this "good for foreigners bad for Thais" mantra a few times from Thais.  One should have nothing to do with the other.  No other countries in Asia seem to have these preconceived issues. 

In my years in Thailand, since 1989, the time of greatest negative change has been within the last five years: sense of hopelessness, cultural degrade and a clear feeling of sheer boredom.

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yingluck's amnesty bill to bring her brother back to Thailand is precisely what triggered the protests leading to the coup in the first place.

If you want to credit someone for preventing Thaksin's return that would be Prayut Chan-o-cha.  For the full story you need to go back and understand who Prayut worked for. 

What day is it in Thailand?  It's groundhog day!

A bill that was already dead in the water you mean ? I think that groundhog day is only in your head. 

Archived