Why Does Thailand Have Crap Food

kerryk

Thailand has some of the best food in the world, never once been ill from food carts or from a restaurant. :o

Thai's are sick ALL the time. Ever heard a Thai say Bawt Tong. I rest my case...........

It's a good point. I've never been sick from eating anywhere in Thailand, ever (touch wood). On the other hand the missus goes to hospital at least twice a year with food poisoning, with another food poisoning whinge, at least once a month. All the Thais I know get food poisoning quite regularly.

(sombody stated that Thais have a strong immune system. I 100% disagree with that statement.)

I think that Thai food is very over-rated. Some of the Chinese food, curries and other heavily influenced (read non original Thai) dishes are good, but the standard Thai food is just OK. I'd consider; Cantonese, Malaysian, north and south Indian, Italian, French, plus, plus to be far better cuisines. - though you can always get a decent street meal here for 30 baht.

But, I think that hygiene here is OK. If you worry too much about, then go and spend a little bit of time in China! When you come back, you'll see a clean and germ free food heaven.

Or India, Burma, Nepal, any number of other countries where food hygiene is of a much lower standard than in Thailand.

On the other hand a doctor once told me regular exposure to bacteria helps build a stronger immune system, and that's one reason why Westerners are generally more prone to chronic disease than South and Southeast Asians.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said FOREIGN food (French, Singaporean, Malaysian, European, etc.), but I also prefer Vietnamese food to Thai food in an upscale restaurant like "Indochine" in Hanoi; the best Vietnamese food that I have had anywhere! :D

Sorry, read you wrong! French food in Laos & Vietnam is a treat. :o

Sabaijai & UG, French food in Vientienne is such a wonderful thing. I've spent the last 12 months in Bangkok, so a trip to Vientienne, over the water festival period, for a slap up French meal and wine for 350 baht. Fantastic, and I can't wait.

The first case of food poisoning I got was in the states. I made the mistake of going to a Wendy's late at night when there is little or no customers. I got home with the burger and when I took the first bite it tasted a little funny. I was hungry so I ignored it thinking it was nothing. About 2 hours later it hit me and it was the sickest I've ever been. At one point IF I could have made it to the phone I would have called an ambulance. After I puked VIOLENTLY about 7 times straight my temp went down and the sweats stopped. I guess most/all of the poison food came up. I felt 1000% better in a matter of 30 seconds. I had lost 4 pounds from the sweating mostly I think. I drank a lot of water and went to bed; pretty much just passed out right away as I was so weak. Worst experience of my life!

The second time I got food poisoning was in Thailand. I got it from a can of tuna (canned in US). I thought the tuna tasted a little extra 'fishy' or something; but ate it anyway. Four hours later same symptoms as before but not nearly as bad; I guess because it wasn't much tuna. Still not a pleasant experience as I puked 4 times and it took a day or two to get back to normal.

After these two experiences if my food tastes or smells even a little bit "funny"......I throw it away.

I don't eat from the food stalls in Thailand. Prefer small family owned places where they take some pride in keeping things clean. Also the wife cooks about half our meals.

I recall seeing a show about hamburger meat in United States grocery stores. One-third of this meat HAS the e-coli bacteria. Proper cooking temps/time kills it.

I remember one year something like 7,700 people died in the US from food poisoning.

Or India, Burma, Nepal, any number of other countries where food hygiene is of a much lower standard than in Thailand.

On the other hand a doctor once told me regular exposure to bacteria helps build a stronger immune system, and that's one reason why Westerners are generall more prone to chronic disease than South and Southeast Asians.

Mmmm..... was that doctor wearing a feather headress and shaking dried bones at the time?

Bacterial infection is largely a numbers game , allow it to grow and you ingest it chances are you'll be sick. Immunity from salmonella, E Coli, botulism?

I suspect the advice relates to the understanding that those from different environments play host to differing bacteria in the gut and when unfamiliar bacteria is introduced temporary reactions often ensue which disappear with prolonged exposure.

As in most infected food, thorough cooking generally kills the nasties but contamination from external sources is always a worry. Street food prepared where rats skitter and cockroaches lurk, particularly during the rainy season, never struck me as appealing.

The first case of food poisoning I got was in the states. I made the mistake of going to a Wendy's late at night when there is little or no customers. I got home with the burger and when I took the first bite it tasted a little funny. I was hungry so I ignored it thinking it was nothing. About 2 hours later it hit me and it was the sickest I've ever been. At one point IF I could have made it to the phone I would have called an ambulance. After I puked VIOLENTLY about 7 times straight my temp went down and the sweats stopped. I guess most/all of the poison food came up. I felt 1000% better in a matter of 30 seconds. I had lost 4 pounds from the sweating mostly I think. I drank a lot of water and went to bed; pretty much just passed out right away as I was so weak. Worst experience of my life!

The second time I got food poisoning was in Thailand. I got it from a can of tuna (canned in US). I thought the tuna tasted a little extra 'fishy' or something; but ate it anyway. Four hours later same symptoms as before but not nearly as bad; I guess because it wasn't much tuna. Still not a pleasant experience as I puked 4 times and it took a day or two to get back to normal.

After these two experiences if my food tastes or smells even a little bit "funny"......I throw it away.

I don't eat from the food stalls in Thailand. Prefer small family owned places where they take some pride in keeping things clean. Also the wife cooks about half our meals.

I recall seeing a show about hamburger meat in United States grocery stores. One-third of this meat HAS the e-coli bacteria. Proper cooking temps/time kills it.

I remember one year something like 7,700 people died in the US from food poisoning.

Everytime I visit the US I get a strong case of diarrhea the first week. And that was even before Dubya took office ...

I want cheaper food I'll stick to the food courts at Lotus or Carrefour where I can only hope that their are some type of cleanliness guide lines.
Hmmmm, yes but... If you are talking about the coupon food courts, yes each food outlet may wash down and clean their area, however the common areas are not the responibility of these people and provide a safe dirty home for the roaches etc. Just walk around these areas out of hours, when the food court at Royal Plaza was on the same level as the cinema you could see all the roaches covering the food stalls looking for scraps.
Interestingly enough the only two times I have been ill have been from farang restaurants..

I was ill after a MacMeal !

...issues over cross contamination
Maybe that is the saving grace of Thai food stalls, single type of food sold at each?
There are 10 or less Thai meals that are good and internationally recognized.

Italy would have hundreds if not thousands more.

Thai

Fried Rice

Tom Yum Guan

Pad Thai

Thai Green Curry

....and maybe Kow Neow for those that are aware of it.

Italy

Spaghetti

Pizza

Casu Marzu....

Casu marzu means "rotten cheese," and the pungent delicacy carries an extra protein boost in the form of embedded larval flies.

309_stunt_maggots.jpg

...rice sprinkled with rancid fish sauce.

The Romans used a rancid fermented fish sauce, probably taken from ideas in the East, even Worcestershire Sauce is the same thing and popular with many Westerns.

I said FOREIGN food (French, Singaporean, Malaysian, European, etc.), but I also prefer Vietnamese food to Thai food in an upscale restaurant like "Indochine" in Hanoi; the best Vietnamese food that I have had anywhere! :D

Sorry, read you wrong! French food in Laos & Vietnam is a treat. :D

Sabaijai & UG, French food in Vientienne is such a wonderful thing. I've spent the last 12 months in Bangkok, so a trip to Vientienne, over the water festival period, for a slap up French meal and wine for 350 baht. Fantastic, and I can't wait.

The Indian food there and Luang Prabang is far superior to any in Thailand as well! :o

Firstly Thai food is not crap......to say so is although only subjective, flying in the face of general opinion.

Applying western ideas of food preparation and serving to Thai street stalls is rather unproductive.....

Thai food is delicious....western food in Thailand is positively dangerous but the 2 have a different set of problems

A few thoughts on “food poisoning”....

Is it actually that serious or are you just referring to a bout of diarrhoea?

How did you REALLY get it?

FP can take up days before the effects are felt, so it’s not always right to blame the last thing you ate.

Street food versus restaurants.

In the west, most food poisoning comes from the home but we all know of small restaurants blamed for food poisoning and also the major chains...e.g. Tacobell in the US just recently.

The problem with a chain of restaurants is that they share suppliers. So if a batch of food is contaminated, it is then distributed to several outlets. This is less likely with small independent businesses.

Hygiene is a problem but as was highlighted a few years ago in the UK the main problem is now storage and distribution.

All food has bacteria on it..........Modern western style food relies a lot on “chill serve” methods. Food is first prepared and then kept at just above freezing (+5C). It is then heated and served. This low temperature does not kill off bacteria; it just holds them in stasis, so they don’t multiply. The problems start when the food is allowed to get above the 5C temperature and the bacteria start to multiply. In hot climates with poorly trained or inexperienced staff, this is a particular problem. Food is removed from the fridge and returned again, left in 30C or over the bacteria have a field day.

From a personal perspective I know with reasonable certainty of 3 separate incidences where friends have got quite seriously ill (hospital in 2 cases) by eating at “western” restaurants...this includes a fast food burger chain on Samui.

It is the toxins produced by the bacteria that cause food poisoning, so they have to colonise your gut and then produce their toxins...this is why there can be a delay between eating and symptoms being felt.

Bacteria generally lie in wait on the surface of foods. If you eat a rare steak, so long as the outside is well and truly cooked, it is quite safe. However if you mince the meat...i.e. for a burger you are mixing the bacteria to the inside of the food....if this is not cooked through thoroughly there is a good chance that the bacteria will multiply to a dangerous level.

With street food in Thailand, you are dealing with quick-fire cooking methods that have been tried and tested for decades, food is killed, quickly cut up and fried at high temperatures...contrary to some peoples observations, it is not left out for hours...it is sold....having been cooked a lot of potential bacteria are dead, so the contamination process is set back. Mince in Thailand is cooked lose so it is cooked through properly. The vendors are dealing with kinds of foods that they are used to dealing with, refrigeration is not a part of the food preparation here, the process is therefore fast, and the chances of contamination reduced.

Westerners look at Thai food stalls and apply their own standards of hygiene to them, this is a mistake from the start as hygiene is not the only cause of food poisoning; it is preparation, storage that will cause the main problems.

There are other ways to get sick....hep A (shellfish), amoebic dysentery (water-borne) liver fluke (fish)....Google them up and see how to catch them......this has little to do with dirty hands and cloths....

Yes, anyone can get food poisoning, from anywhere, but the claims against street food stem largely from ignorance and prejudice.

As others have said, be “street-wise” use some common sense and you will be OK...eat enjoy....and carry a packet of tissues!

One other point...I wouldn’t think taking Imodium as a matter of course is such a good idea....if you DO have the runs, the best thing is usually to let it “run” its course and drink lots of (bottled) water; taking Imodium is only holding the bacteria in your system. Of course, there may well be circumstances where you have to shut down your bottom for a few hours (bus-ride?), but afterwards you should make every effort to flush yourself

BTW - Antibiotics should really only be used if prescribed by a doctor.

Firstly Thai food is not crap......to say so is although only subjective, flying in the face of general opinion.

Applying western ideas of food preparation and serving to Thai street stalls is rather unproductive.....

Thai food is delicious....western food in Thailand is positively dangerous but the 2 have a different set of problems

A few thoughts on “food poisoning”....

Is it actually that serious or are you just referring to a bout of diarrhoea?

How did you REALLY get it?

FP can take up days before the effects are felt, so it’s not always right to blame the last thing you ate.

Street food versus restaurants.

In the west, most food poisoning comes from the home but we all know of small restaurants blamed for food poisoning and also the major chains...e.g. Tacobell in the US just recently.

The problem with a chain of restaurants is that they share suppliers. So if a batch of food is contaminated, it is then distributed to several outlets. This is less likely with small independent businesses.

Hygiene is a problem but as was highlighted a few years ago in the UK the main problem is now storage and distribution.

All food has bacteria on it..........Modern western style food relies a lot on “chill serve” methods. Food is first prepared and then kept at just above freezing (+5C). It is then heated and served. This low temperature does not kill off bacteria; it just holds them in stasis, so they don’t multiply. The problems start when the food is allowed to get above the 5C temperature and the bacteria start to multiply. In hot climates with poorly trained or inexperienced staff, this is a particular problem. Food is removed from the fridge and returned again, left in 30C or over the bacteria have a field day.

From a personal perspective I know with reasonable certainty of 3 separate incidences where friends have got quite seriously ill (hospital in 2 cases) by eating at “western” restaurants...this includes a fast food burger chain on Samui.

It is the toxins produced by the bacteria that cause food poisoning, so they have to colonise your gut and then produce their toxins...this is why there can be a delay between eating and symptoms being felt.

Bacteria generally lie in wait on the surface of foods. If you eat a rare steak, so long as the outside is well and truly cooked, it is quite safe. However if you mince the meat...i.e. for a burger you are mixing the bacteria to the inside of the food....if this is not cooked through thoroughly there is a good chance that the bacteria will multiply to a dangerous level.

With street food in Thailand, you are dealing with quick-fire cooking methods that have been tried and tested for decades, food is killed, quickly cut up and fried at high temperatures...contrary to some peoples observations, it is not left out for hours...it is sold....having been cooked a lot of potential bacteria are dead, so the contamination process is set back. Mince in Thailand is cooked lose so it is cooked through properly. The vendors are dealing with kinds of foods that they are used to dealing with, refrigeration is not a part of the food preparation here, the process is therefore fast, and the chances of contamination reduced.

Westerners look at Thai food stalls and apply their own standards of hygiene to them, this is a mistake from the start as hygiene is not the only cause of food poisoning; it is preparation, storage that will cause the main problems.

There are other ways to get sick....hep A (shellfish), amoebic dysentery (water-borne) liver fluke (fish)....Google them up and see how to catch them......this has little to do with dirty hands and cloths....

Yes, anyone can get food poisoning, from anywhere, but the claims against street food stem largely from ignorance and prejudice.

As others have said, be “street-wise” use some common sense and you will be OK...eat enjoy....and carry a packet of tissues!

One other point...I wouldn’t think taking Imodium as a matter of course is such a good idea....if you DO have the runs, the best thing is usually to let it “run” its course and drink lots of (bottled) water; taking Imodium is only holding the bacteria in your system. Of course, there may well be circumstances where you have to shut down your bottom for a few hours (bus-ride?), but afterwards you should make every effort to flush yourself

BTW - Antibiotics should really only be used if prescribed by a doctor.

A lot of the street food is not quick fire cooking methods.

I would say the majority of the food stalls sell food that is not quick fired.

Cow Men Gai, all of the BBQ places and the noodle shops and all of the pre cooked and then reheated food along with the fruit stands like mango and sticky rice.

The quick stir fried things should be fine but the majority of food stands are at risk they use no heat, just a light bulb to hold chicken, duck and pork and the iced stands are OK in the morning but by afternoon there is no ice.

Ok, from what I read so far, I think that we can summarise that ;

a) hygeine could be improved in alot of areas and that some vendors perhaps are in need of education.

:o if you get a bad case of the sh*ts, one should stick to eating at The Pig & Whistle for a week.

c) if this thread really worries you, what can you do about it? You either become more picky about where you can go to eat or get your mam to fly over packed lunches on a weekly basis, or, you could develop compulsive obsessive disorder malarky washing your hands 50 times a day?

I like most Thai cuisine, but I wouldn't want someone who's had their thumb up their arse put it in my tom yam gung either.

There are 10 or less Thai meals that are good and internationally recognized.

Italy would have hundreds if not thousands more.

Other "Thai" food are fish fried "thai way" or something than nobody in the world could spoil, no matter how they cook it. That food would taste good if just boiled in plain water (schimps).

Japanese don't even bother to cook it.

Other than fried rice, larb, a few soups, pad thai and krapao gai (and it's variants) it is all rubbish - guts, skin, fat, oil, bones.....disgusting to watch the locals eating it.

Even that (other than rice based cooking) is not everywhere upcountry. There I bring a toaster, jam, vegemite and a pack of lean ham. Much healthier than what they eat.

While they pig on the unspeakable trash, I am happy to sip a plain rice soup and look aside.

What a predujiced bore you are...SO WHAT if natural meals are not internationally recognized?

Do you know that Italy has some of the highest rates of obesity with all that 'natural' pasta?

Guts, skin(lots of vitamins here) fat are part of the NATURAL DIET of man..

Healthy tribes have been eating that way for a long time....none on toast or vegimite I'm afraid.

Wow you eat lean meat(fat is bad...wrong!) rice soup... bread..(unnatural

carbohydrate)..

Well it's all a matter of perspctive and knowledge of anthropology..

Rubbish. And more of it.

Sweeping generalizations abound. No one country's food is "crap". It's all a matter of taste and what you find culturally acceptable to eat. Hygene is also not directly related to wealth. I have been ill from eating in some of the finest restaurants in Hong Kong where the price of a meal would keep a Thai food stall owner happy for a year. On the other hand accept for the odd beer induced slack bowel, I have been perfectly happy in Thailand.......maybe lucky.

Guts are NOT rubbish! Why discriminate about which part or organs of a dead animal you should or shouldn't eat? Why only eat its limb, back and chest muscles....you're missing out on a lot of great stuff!

Yes....A lot of Thai food is re-heated, and a lot of Thai food flys in the face of perceived hygiene conventions and when it comes to being dangerous the answer would seem to be ...

"You'd think so, wouldn't you?"...but you'd be wrong.

Many people have written into this posting saying they have been eating Thai food for 10s of years without any serious problems and that really does seem to be the case, so you is persuaded to conclude that they are getting something right...... (I'm not convinced that the built up immunity theory holds water)

I think that even a cursory glance at the evidence would suggest that street food in ?Thailand is a remarkably safe thing.

As for Mango and sticky rice...I think you'd be hard put to get ill on tghat except for a vigorous shit brought about by eating a lot of fruit.

As for the chickens....the bacteria have to get on them agian and multiply and this doesn't seem to be happening...exactly why I can't explain, but as I said earlier, applying a conventional western logic to it doesn't seem to work.

A few things about food poisoning....the bacteria whose toxins cause food poisoning with meat usually live on the surface of the meat and are killed when cooked. It is the toxins that cause the poisoning and they are not necessarily killed by cooking. If you ingest live bacteria they will then multiply in your gut until they produce enough toxin to make you ill. Different bacteria have different rates of multiplication and different toxic effects, so the time it takes to get ill and recover varies.

For example beefburgers involve mincing meet, this results in the bacteria being spread throughout the patty...this is why they must always be thoroughly cooked yet you can eat steak very rare.

Most people who get food poisoning blame the last thing they ate which is a mistake, poisoning can take anything from a few hours up to a week before it makes itself felt.

Recommending eating western food in Thailand is a mistake.....if you follow this advice you will probably get sick!

There are of course poisonings in all countries...however Thailand and street food are if approaching using some of the rational and sensible advice given here relatively innocuous.

Things to beware of......Western food requires western techniques for storage and preparation....most of it is prepared in Thai kitchens. Refrigeration re-heating and chill/serve are not the norm in Thai cooking, so the methods are often abused by poorly trained or undisciplined staff.....

Don’t eat any hotel buffet that has had food left out for more than an hour or so....be very careful of mayonnaise; it is often turned just to keep the colour, this results in a “healthy” culture of bacteria all the way through it!

Many people poison themselves; wash your hands before eating, not just after going to the loo, think what you’ve been touching all day...handrails, street furniture, shop goods, phones etc.

If you do get ill, I wouldn’t recommend dosing oneself with antibiotics; I would go to a doctor and get him/her to prescribe the correct ones. They are so cheap in Thailand and available over the counter at any pharmacy

Edited by wilko

I, personally, was shocked that anyone from England could tell which food was crap/rubbish and which was not!!! :o

When was your last visit to England?

Two years ago.

You do not have to eat English food if you do not like it and you certainly do not need to make childish remarks based on your preferences. There are foods that I do not like but I do not made broad generalisations based on my taste. I couldn't eat the thickened cow's blood/milk mixture of the Masai but I would not call that crap. Is hummus 'crap' just because I don't like it?

You do not have to eat English food if you do not like it and you certainly do not need to make childish remarks based on your preferences. There are foods that I do not like but I do not made broad generalisations based on my taste. I couldn't eat the thickened cow's blood/milk mixture of the Masai but I would not call that crap. Is hummus 'crap' just because I don't like it?

Good point. I hope you've made the same point to some of your English mates who said Thai food was rubbish/crap in this thread as well. :o Yeah, broad generalizations do suck. :D

In my personal opinion Thailand has one of the most amazing cuisines in Asia, probably the world. Eating in for example, the street restaurants, enables you to build a tough tolerance for bacteria and germs you may possibly find in your food. I found I have only maybe 'pebbledashed' the toilet a few times in 9 months, and this is usually a consequence of eating too spicy a somtam (when your thai partner says 'Phet Maak' and you say 'Mai Phet' scenario)

I love the Thai Food, and look forward to enjoy eating it everyday. (But I do occasionally have a craving for a 10 oz Steak, spicey potato wedges with button mushrooms, petit pois and a nice cold pint of Stella Artois....oh memories......)

KD :o

Thailand has one of the most amazing cuisines in Asia, probably the world. Eating in the street restaurants, enables you to build a tough tolerance for bacteria and germs you may possibly find in your food. I found I have only maybe 'pebbledashed' the toilet a few times in 9 months,

How appetizing. :o

Unfortunately British food's reputation isn't deserved. This is largely a result of the post WW2 years when rationing and a broken economy lead to a drastic drop in foodstuffs available. (As an example, sweet rationing in UK wasn't lifted till 1953). Food in UK is expensive and they still can produce utter rubbish but in the last few decades there has been a remarkable recovery and now some of the top chefs in France are English and vice versa.

If you want to get an expert on top wines look for a Brit. The British have been importing wine for centuries from all over the world and own vineyards all over the world for centuries too. As buyers of quality wine they have built up a tradition of knowing wines far better than the producers.

When it comes to food traditional British foods are eaten all over the world and anyone who values eating as a pleasure will know how varied British food is.

On the other hand the cuisine in the US is a barbarous bastardization of dishes from around the world. Largely the result of immigrants bringing recipes from home without the cooking skills to execute them correctly and then, on getting a new wealthier lifestyle adding all sorts of extra ingredients such as meat and cream etc, which totally ruin the harmonious balance of the originals. Take for instance the Italian pizza. A product of Naples, and then designed to celebrate the newly united Italy it has been turned into an enormous lump of stodge with piles of nonsense heaped on top of it.

Sadly, the base philosophy behind US food is quantity not quality, and this of course is reflected in the gross obesity problems facing that nation. Another sad thing about this is that many Americans experience of food is so limited that they cannot or fail to appreciate food from other cultures and countries, and try to stick to an American diet in a country that hasn't got a clue how to or any interest in cooking in a US style as it goes against any kind of culinary common sense.

Sadly, the base philosophy behind US food is quantity not quality, and this of course is reflected in the gross obesity problems facing that nation. Another sad thing about this is that many Americans experience of food is so limited that they cannot or fail to appreciate food from other cultures and countries, and try to stick to an American diet in a country that hasn't got a clue how to or any interest in cooking in a US style as it goes against any kind of culinary common sense.

Having traveled in both countries, I'd say the cuisines and attitudes towards eating are roughly equivalent. I probably have eaten more bad meals (my opinion) in the UK than in the USA, all in all, and I find the diversity in NY and SF greater than in London.

I'd say Oz edges out both (no I'm not Australian). :o

BTW last I saw stats, the rate of obesity in the UK was pretty close to that of the US. Fattest are Pacific Island nations, followed by the Middle East.

I'll take Thai cuisine over the cuisines of all of the above, any day. :D

Unfortunately British food's reputation isn't deserved.

So says you. :o

I saw a documentary recently about some Brits touring the US and all they did was rave about how much better the food is in the USA even though the documetary had nothing to do with food. They went to great length to describe how boring and bland everything is in England and were practically having orgasms over a New York deli sandwich.

Edited by Ulysses G.