Britain's May offers to quit to get her Brexit deal over the line

webfact

Msybe they deserve the "FINGER "

He is the most divisive person in the whole Brexit melodrama; to put such a man in charge of negotiating for the country when literally half the country despises him for being the corrupt snake oil salesman that he is, would be tantamount to giving half the country the finger. 

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, tebee said:

If her failed policy is Bercow proof and allowed to be voted on again the new in favour voters are just as bad and untrustworthy as TM .  There was a vote not too  long ago on the " No Confidence  for TM " as PM so why was she not ousted then ?   How do we get rid of current day politicians who seem to be untouchable .           Reckon there is going to be an even bigger demonstration this week end in London .  Also " Question Time " may be worth a view tonight / tomorrow .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wayned said:

Parliament has voted down all of the 8  options and Speaker Bercow has said that he will not let her accept the bill for the third time , what now?

Being kicked out of the EU 12 March or latest 23 May.  I prefer the last, as then more British industies have time for under EU cusatoms regulations for transfers of machinery etc. to migrate to continental EU.

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Until this week Brexiteers and very specifically Rees-Mogg and the ERG were vehemently opposed to TM’s deal, it was RM told us worse than remaining.

TM’s deal has not changed.

So how does TM offering to resign make her deal more acceptable?

A logical explanation from any Brexit supporter welcome.

Ask Boris the Liar Johnson, who switched in the beginning as having one and one wish only: become prime minister, whatever the consequenses are for the U.K.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Being kicked out of the EU 12 March or latest 23 May.  I prefer the last, as then more British industies have time for under EU cusatoms regulations for transfers of machinery etc. to migrate to continental EU.

Can only have the May 23 date if the Theresa May motion passes this week.

11 minutes ago, superal said:

If her failed policy is Bercow proof and allowed to be voted on again the new in favour voters are just as bad and untrustworthy as TM .  There was a vote not too  long ago on the " No Confidence  for TM " as PM so why was she not ousted then ?   How do we get rid of current day politicians who seem to be untouchable .           Reckon there is going to be an even bigger demonstration this week end in London .  Also " Question Time " may be worth a view tonight / tomorrow .

No 'no confidence vote' for TM has been passed. What is difficult to understand about that?

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

That's right. The future relations eg trade with the EU.

Which trade deals ? 

The manufacturing (make) industry will be crippled with a 10 + % import duty, the sweets/confectionary industry will be wrecked by 13,7+% import duty. Result: many is OR transferred to the continent, or will be soon , but especially: is replaced by continental production. Less fuzz.

The meat industry can forget it seen all vertinary regulations, and the financial sector already transferred a lot, with more to come.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Getting back on topic - why on earth are the most obvious brexiteer MPs prepared to support the eu/may deal - just because she has said she will resign if the eu/may deal is passed?

I seriously hope the few genuine leave MPs will 'stick to their guns'.  It may be of no use compared to the obvious vast majority of remain MPs - but they will be supported by those in their constituencies.

Because some of them live in the real world eventually.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

They are not responsible for anything.

Do you think Oliver Letwin and Yvette Cooper should share some responsibility now they are chairing Prime Ministers Questions?

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, superal said:
  •  
  • sanemax
  • Advanced Members
  • 12,181 posts

First of all where is it stated that a UK Brexit negotiator has to be a tory or an elected MP ? . Up to now I have been in the same camp as Dick Dasteredly on most views but not this one , why ?    Like it or not NF was the main reason that the UK voted for Brexit cos he told it as it was and much to the anger of many of the Cameron gang and EU ministers who cringed when NF was speaking in Brussels , TV interviews or Question Time etc . He gave us factual workings and costings of being tied to the EU . The man has without doubt got the courage to stand up to the bureaucrats for the sake of the UK and he strikes fear within the EU .   Lets not forget the main reasons of the Brexit outcome which were

immigration , overburdened hospitals , housing shortages , employment on reasonable incomes and not minimum wages as carried out by eastern Europeans , plus to take back control of our country which at the moment aint gonna happen it seems .

This shameful debacle would have been done and dusted with a strong leader or negotiator on the UK side .

Finally with what seems to be the only choices I think there should be a referendum based on what is on the table now , to include a leave with no caveats . I for one would again be voting for Brexit .

Well you will get a chance if there is another referendum.

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Unless there is EU intervention on May's deal, I can't see how it could be amended and supported by a house majority - and unless parliament vote to accept an unchanged deal, Bercrow wouldn't allow a third reading. Even if he did, it is likely to be defeated again.

And if May tries to rundown to a no-deal exit it is assured parliament would pass legislation to prevent it, which could lead to a general election - which could mean the EU would extend Article 50.

And then there is the referendum choice, which I suspect would be a cop-out by the government and parliament - but it could happen.

11 March, you have to decide to join for EU Parliament election of not. Not = 23 May out.

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

11 March, you have to decide to join for EU Parliament election of not. Not = 23 May out.

Your response might be confusing (Theresa) May's deal with the month of May in the contribution you are responding to.

8 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Unless there is EU intervention on May's deal, I can't see how it could be amended and supported by a house majority - and unless parliament vote to accept an unchanged deal, Bercrow wouldn't allow a third reading. Even if he did, it is likely to be defeated again.

And if May tries to rundown to a no-deal exit it is assured parliament would pass legislation to prevent it, which could lead to a general election - which could mean the EU would extend Article 50.

And then there is the referendum choice, which I suspect would be a cop-out by the government and parliament - but it could happen.

With a new election, I hope the British voters will remind, who were in favour for a Brexit (without any conditions) and who for a Remain. Maybe better NOT to elect any of the Conservatives nor Labour, who both made a mess of it.

Still: The UK has to make up its mind before 11 April if it will join the EU Parliament election of.. be thrown out 23 of May. After over 3 years of talking, quite some EU citizens, but especially procurement managers are fed op with the uncertinaty.

Edited by puipuitom

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Because people can change their minds - that applies to both remainers and leavers - now having a much better idea of the Brexit outcome.

However, I suspect that the 'will of the people' as at today is more inclined to vote remain, especially the young who will have to carry the burden of a bad deal. 

TOO LATE.. 11 April a YES to join the EU Parliament election and if No = out 23 May. After over 3 years of getting air molecules to vibrate ( discussions they call it in the UK), the EU patience is over.

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

With a new election, I hope the British voters will remind, who were in favour for a Brexit (withotu any conditions) and who for a Remain. Maybe better NOT to elect any of the Conservatives nor Labour, who both made a mess of it.

Still: The UK has to make up its mind before 11 April if it will join the EU Parliament election of.. be thrown out 23 of May. After over 3 years of talking, quite some EU citizens, but especially procurement managers are fed op with the uncertinaty.

Maybe. The UK might ask for a long extension, subject to agreeing to running in the EU elections.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have run out of metaphors for 'self-harm', so I will repeat my favourite;

Never before have I seen a country so utterly determined to shoot itself in the crotch.

You know, it's not mandatory to post if you have nothing new to say. It's getting a little tiresome to read your not-so-original "favourite" at the beginning of each Brexit-related thread.

• Thanks 1

May's deal is not what Brexiteers voted for, but a majority still wants her to carry on as Prime Minister.

This is one of the surprise findings of a new Brexit poll which makes a nonsense of Remainer claims that the majority Brits who voted Leave have changed their minds and are against leaving without a deal on WTO terms.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Depends on the options in any future referendum - if MPs decide to take this route.

If it was:-

1) Accept the eu/may deal

2) Leave immediately

I think the vote would go to 'leave immediately', as even remainers know that the eu/may 'deal' is the worst possible option?

There are a few other options like:

3) Stay in the EU, but with another deal (Swiss / Norway / Canadian deal )

4) Forget the entire Brexit operation as a stupid / bad dream

For a new referendum, all options must be available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Pie in the sky thinking. Parliament will not let a no-deal occur, even if they have to pass legislation to prevent it. 

You need two for tango.

11 April the U.K. has to agree with EU Parliamentarty voting of.. 23 May.. out.

Remind: quite some industries have to secure their raw materials and spare parts/components. Only God knows, how many already replaced UK origin for continental EU origin. You will see that from June 2019 onwards.