Big Joke: Promises easier, faster and more "watertight" Immigration rules

webfact

18 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I have been saying for months that long stay expats in Thailand are currently under siege. 

Most were mocking my comments.

But anyone that can't see what is afoot here is entirely deluded.

Actually long stay tourists would be more accurate.

Many delude themselves that they are in some way permanent residents, with full resident rights,  similar to most Western countries

Far from reality!

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Actually long stay tourists would be more accurate.  Many delude themselves that they are in some way permanent residents, with full resident rights,  similar to most Western countries

The clue is in the Visa title - Non Immigrant

There were and are always some who are asking:

"Why 800 for a -Retirement Visa- and only 400000 for a -Marriage Visa-"?

This may soon change, I doubt however it will be 400 for everyone. 

Being here since 2000, I learned that nothing is for sure in this country. 

For the moment I can comply to everything. 

Being 70+, I hope drastic changes won't occur. 

Relocation would be burdensome. 

Of course "drastic" is a relative word. 

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

There were and are always some who are asking: "Why 800 for a -Retirement Visa- and only 400000 for a -Marriage Visa-"?

Is there any logic for financial requirements for visas for Thailand? An SETV is 20,000 baht, an METV lasts twice as long but is 10 times as much - 200,000

11 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

There were and are always some who are asking:

"Why 800 for a -Retirement Visa- and only 400000 for a -Marriage Visa-"?

This may soon change, I doubt however it will be 400 for everyone. 

Being here since 2000, I learned that nothing is for sure in this country. 

For the moment I can comply to everything. 

Being 70+, I hope drastic changes won't occur. 

Relocation would be burdensome. 

Of course "drastic" is a relative word. 

In Thailand, always good to have a Plan B

17 hours ago, humbug said:

lets see over the years when these nationalists are kicked out, how many of these new rules, future rules will stay or vanish.

Where in many of our countries, nationalists are smaller populations than non-nationalists, in Thailand, the overwhelming majority of people are nationalists.

The only people who will be sad to see the long-term farangs leave are the whores, the businesses built around whores and friends and family.

Most Thais will not even notice. How could they, with their noses so high in the air? ????

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Where in many of our countries, nationalists are smaller populations than non-nationalists, in Thailand, the overwhelming majority of people are nationalists.

The only people who will be sad to see the long-term farangs leave are the whores, the businesses built around whores and friends and family.

Most Thais will not even notice. How could they, with their noses so high in the air? ????

As sad as that is, I fear it's probably close to the truth!

19 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe I'm deluded but at least I don't suffer from chronic paranoia. BJ is just trying to eradicate all the expats who acquire their extensions illegally or through the back door. The problem is in doing so they are  inadvertently going to tread on the toes of the expats who's applications are legal and above board.  

Its naughty school kid syndrome. One kid misbehaves and doesn't own up so the whole class gets punished.  

Legal and above board? My wife did her 90 days yesterday. All paperwork in order, exactly 90 days since last reported, fined 800 baht. Me - 90 days a month ago, my last report confirmation slip in my passport complete with date of next report all in order EXCEPT it was not my slip! Wrong slip attached by immigration officer. So I got fined 2000 baht.

Legal and above board? in Thailand? in Immigration? what planet are you on?

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

with their noses so high in the air? ????

Many are full of themselves. 

But so are many farangs, thinking because they spent a few hundred thousands a year in Thailand, they should be specially treated. 

I have spent 15+ years in Pattaya, I am now located in Thonglor(Bangkok). 

Completely different, nearly no farangs, in daytime I am often the only one in Sukhumvit 55.

A lot of Korean tourists, and

many Japanese residents, with huge money,  pretty sure some "squander" a couple of hundred thousand a month. 

Soon or later we will be all considered as "The White Trash" and thus negligible. 

22 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Many are full of themselves. 

But so are many farangs, thinking because they spent a few hundred thousands a year in Thailand, they should be specially treated. 

I have spent 15+ years in Pattaya, I am now located in Thonglor(Bangkok). 

Completely different, nearly no farangs, in daytime I am often the only one in Sukhumvit 55.

A lot of Korean tourists, and

many Japanese residents, with huge money,  pretty sure some "squander" a couple of hundred thousand a month. 

Soon or later we will be all considered as "The White Trash" and thus negligible. 

Yes, many of us farang have attitudes. Though, I do try my best to have some compassion for them since we share much of the same culture. That we often attack rather than support each other is something the Asians love and exploit to no end.

I can understand that even many decent farang, by 9 or 10am in the morning, they may have already had 3 or 4 frustrating experiences with Thais. So, of course, many are frustrated all the time. Dealing with Thais can be absolutely life draining.

If Thailand wants to attract the types of farangs found in places like Singapore and Hong Kong, it will need to improve beyond what I think the culture will allow. Thai culture is fairly unevolved, and the kinds of people it attracts, in the main, are a reflection of Thais themselves.

What farang with several million dollars or more net wealth wants to step out of a Merc into a feces-spelling pavement with putrid food wastes strewn about? Or live in over-priced, poor quality homes in the middle of city villages barricaded by concrete walls that he can't even see over? Thailand is a TERRIBLE place for people with money and class and manners and intellect and worldliness.

This thread has certainly exposed those many people who appear to be some of the most balanced people on the planet. Because, and for whatever reason, irrespective of nationality,  they appear to have a chip on both shoulders when it comes to acceptance of compliance requirements for the Thai immigration  criteria.

9 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Lets hope his proposals are more watertight. We all know the the so called "agencies" facilitating retirement extensions, when in fact many of those people could not meet the requirements were the reason that the UK embassy and others could no longer verify income as request by the Thai immigration authorities.  It is unfortunate that those of us us married to Thais have been dragged down and labelled with the same derogatory tags as many who had achieved an extension based on retirement through dubious, and most probably illegal means.

That said I hope that extensions based on marriage, an institution that can easily be verified as legitimate, is separated from extensions based on retirement which appears in most cases to be a litany of fraudulent claims supported by fraudulent agents who pay of bank/immigration staff.

The extension based on marriage IMHO should be based on entirely different critique so as to ensure that the thousands of people supporting their Thai families are not prejudiced against due to the fake and illegal practices often witnessed in extensions based on retirement.

All these posts from those on marriage visas seeing it from their point of view and expecting the Thai authorities to be appreciative. The authorities don't want you. In fact they want you even less. If you marry a Thai woman you are supposed to taker her back to your country. You are hanging by a thread because you are supporting a Thai family. The authorities are not grateful to you for this. They would prefer retirees in a farang ghetto to people living amongst the populace. Don't confuse the acceptance you get from Thais at the local level with the attitudes of those who control things.

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

This thread has certainly exposed those many people who appear to be some of the most balanced people on the planet. Because, and for whatever reason, irrespective of nationality,  they appear to have a chip on both shoulders when it comes to acceptance of compliance requirements for the Thai immigration  criteria.

I wish that it could be made clear what the visa rules will be.

At present I'm in NZ waiting to return to LOS.

The feedback I get is confusing and I have heard that the status quo  still prevails regarding getting an agent to do your visa.(the envelope is alive and well)

There is a lot of corruption in the visa trade and many that are involved will not like the loss of jobs.

I still can not figure out why Big Joke never lists Russians as a problem, we all know about the African countries scamming but the Russians are at it big time / mafia /prostitution trade.

I have been in small BK hotels in the past where the Russians had a whole floor and disco for their working girls.

Unfortunately LOS is a magnet for undesirables, people with family like myself having a wife and child probably get better consideration because they have to be responsible for the care of them when in Thailand.

Not to say that all with family are good citizens.

The majority of European, the colonies included are good citizens, and it now seems not wanted.

There is nowhere to go now except to Vietnam or Cambodia, I hope that common sense prevails and the rules get sorted.

The internal problem of corruption, along with forged passports, ect, is a money spinner.

That, may never be dealt with and all the poor nice people contributing to Thailand's economy can get out.

1 minute ago, vinniekintana said:

If you are determined to stay you will find a way.

As mention before :

What each of us is prepare to further endure, and/or able to financially fulfill, is personal. 

25 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

I wish that it could be made clear what the visa rules will be.

@Lovethailandelite mentioned in post #102 he was to get the lowdown on this yesterday afternoon, no updates as yet.

"I am in a scramble for an early lunch due to a briefing later this afternoon regarding the Police orders over the songKran period."

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Says absolutely nothing other than a load of waffle about doing "something" while reinfofrcing the blatant racism Thailand has towards black people.

Yesterday immigration raided the hotel across from where I was staying, after the raid about seven officials came  to my mates restaurant for lunch where I served them with drinks, never asked me fo anything,I'm on tourist visa not working but helping,I guess I was the wrong colour.

6 hours ago, Puwa said:

That's an incorrect translation of an article which also has incorrect information. The relevant text in Thai, which is a reporter's summary of the issue, concerns the problem of agents who circumvent the financial rules for extension. In describing the problem, the reporter incorrectly states that there is a need to keep 800k in the bank for marriage and family support visas, and that is what the agents are helping people avoid. However we know that different amounts apply to these visas. There is absolute no mention in the article of specific recommendations regarding the amounts or seasoning rules for marriage. 

Ha !

Someone clears that up after all these pages of worry/frustration....jeeeez !

edit: Though it was a dry-run for inevitable future money requirements being cranked up beyond the level some married foreigners can meet. Grandfathering them in at their initial rate should be mandatory in future.

13 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Each persons personal situation shoud be taking into consideration, epecially for those who have families here. I think it;s extrmely unfair to put so much financial pressure  on someone who has lived here for many years , that has  never broken  the law and who rasies their family well, only to be torn apart by some ridiculous financial requirements

Nobody cares in Thailand about anything, never mind a few old expats.

21 hours ago, rabas said:

Do you have a source for what she translated?

21 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

The proposed amendment of the 1979 Act has three important ways: screening people who enter the country. Especially requesting to stay For raising children, spouses or even doing business In the past, there was a problem with the brokerage system and there was no fixed deposit in the account according to the 6-month condition. The credit limit was 800,000 baht. Without notifying your stay In the past, officials only warned, but in the revised edition of the Immigration Act There will be an increase in penalties for the shelter without notice.

So there you have it clear as mud. I would also like to know why some people have already been paying the fine and not warned ? surely not corruption. 

37 minutes ago, heybuz said:

Yesterday immigration raided the hotel across from where I was staying, after the raid about seven officials came  to my mates restaurant for lunch where I served them with drinks, never asked me fo anything,I'm on tourist visa not working but helping,I guess I was the wrong colour.

Ha, which city was that in ?

44 minutes ago, heybuz said:

Really u were serving 7 thai officials in ur mate his restaurant while u being on a tourist visa??

trolling alarm bells ringing 

10 hours ago, emptypockets said:

One should keep ones head down and one will be ok unless one has been rorting the system and one cannot meet the quite easy requirements for ones extension of stay. If that is the case one should be prepared to implements ones plan B.

One could one day fall foul too you know!

18 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Really u were serving 7 thai officials in ur mate his restaurant while u being on a tourist visa??

trolling alarm bells ringing 

All true they raided the hotel where the Thai woman was murdered in lad prao 130.

22 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Big Joke seems to equate poor = bad and rich = good.  I guess it never occurred to him that a successful criminal might have no trouble showing enough money!

And thus has no problem affording either direct bribes to the BIB in increased amounts for being allowed to stay and continue their little rackets here.   Or, in the case of those with less money and perhaps family or a small pension, indirect bribes to Immigration, er, I mean "agent fees."

Win-win for them.  It's not about good or bad for them, it's about profitability.

6 hours ago, AdamKnight said:

BS. Just the opposite, Thailand was too open to visitors from Africa early on. I've been visiting Thailand since the mid eighties and there truly has been a growing scourge of bad actors from Africa pulling stunts in Thailand and that's undeniable. I hope I never see Thailand allow cancer tumours to metastasise like the many areas in the US that are basically criminal hell holes. Thailand is not PC   That should be the only legitimate concern, period

I was told by an African with a legitimate business here that Africans come here for crime. Obviously he was some kind of racist and did not know what he was talking about - PC Liberals on TVF know better - after all there was that nice person from Africa they knew at college - as did I (an immensely likable person and friend, plus others including a girlfriend).

Certainly my experiences with them here have in the majority not been pleasant. That is the fact - or perhaps I was just not mixing with the right kind of Africans or perhaps I was not understanding their culture e.g. accosting me and offering me a super business opportunity and then accusing me of being racist when I declined. The ones who stationed themselves by the lifts in a condo building and propositioned respectable women standing there waiting for the lift were just bringing their vibrant culture here etc.

Some of you on here need to take the PC blinkers off. Some/many of them seem to have a strategy of taking advantage of an easy first entry and then going underground - many to commit crimes. Fortunately it is now being enforced that they report their whereabouts to Immigration via TM28 so if they do overstay TI will know where to find them......................................

Of course many are here for legitimate reasons and get tarred with the same brush. When asked by an African with a highly educated level of English about necessity of carrying his passport I advised him to carry photocopy of relevant pages - esp the admitted to date as IMO he was at a high risk of arrest if he could not produce. I have seen Africans stopped and waved on as soon as the Police got to the passport page with visa - no further questions, that was all they were checking.

Archived