Big Joke: Promises easier, faster and more "watertight" Immigration rules

webfact

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, webfact said:

Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan was keen to put his own ideas on the table. 

A timely submittal by the watchman would be appreciated!  555

IMHO the country is in limbo with no legitimate government therefore how can they be enacting laws.  Any new laws should be deferred until such time as the new legally elected government takes over the reins.

16 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

He's not just stepping on toes of the legal and above board expats but eradicating them also! I for one who has had both marriage ext and retirement ext since 2004 and a number of businesses, employed Thai's and always paid my taxes. I also have a Thai wife and children aged 11 & 13. But the changes made by thai immigration have posed a massive problem for me being able to renew my ext in Sept 19.

I have always been able to meet the requirements of a minimum net pension income of 65000 and used the LOI from the embassy to provide evidence of this. With backup documentation of letter from pension company, P60's, bank statements etc so my ext's have always been smooth. However, that will now end because I have to meet the new rule of transferring a minimum of 65000 baht to my Thai bank account every month which is not possible for me to be able to fulfil this requirement yet I do have a higher than 65000 net pension. Note that I also have property assets in Thai. But because I have other commitments in UK & Spain I have to meet each month it is now not possible for me to transfer 65000 baht every month as required. So I am one of those to be eradicated! Nice policy and nice way to treat those who have contributed to the Thai economy over the last 14 years. Yet now it appears I will not be able to renew my ext in Sept because I have not be able to transfer 65000 a month to my Thai bank. Some years ago I had millions of baht in my Thai bank accounts but now unfortunately not.

So I am now basically f.cked! And as I believe are so many other legitimate expats who qualify in terms of income but cant get the amounts required to their Thai bank accounts without failing to meet their home/other country commitments. I could manage 45000 to a Thai bank account each month at a push. Also, failure to take into account real estate assets is another flaw because this would provide evidence that the applicant has means!

My two pennies.

The American Embassy's failure to issue an income verification letter, coupled with Thai Immigrations idiotic requirement to deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank has effected a lot of expats who have Thai families and own homes here.  I feel for you along with others who are faced with leaving Thailand over this nonsense. ???? 

I came in late.

I started to read the posts to see if there had been any more revelations of actual or proposed changes to Immigration rules.

However after getting only about 3 pages into the thread, the hysteria, paranoia, false rumors, lies, selfishness, bad jokes and just plain idiocy became too much for my little brain to absorb. To trawl through 30 pages of the same became something I couldn't face.

Is there anyone, with much more patience than I, who has read the complete thing and can advise if anything substantial, beyond the original statement from the Immigration chief, has eventuated?

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

I came in late.

I started to read the posts to see if there had been any more revelations of actual or proposed changes to Immigration rules.

However after getting only about 3 pages into the thread, the hysteria, paranoia, false rumors, lies, selfishness and just plain idiocy became too much for my little brain to absorb. To trawl through 30 pages of the same became something I couldn't face.

Is there anyone, with much more patience than I, who has read the complete thing and can advise if anything substantial, beyond the original statement from the Immigration chief, has eventuated?

Nope, not a single thing

26 minutes ago, Farrows3399 said:

Why in the world would any wealthy person stay in Thailand in the first place???  Putting up with these people? 

There are some fabulously wealthy expats in Thailand. Their staff handle the details.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, cornishcarlos said:

They always promise exactly the opposite of what is going to happen !!  

Compulsive lying, I believe, is the term ????

Rather, prevarication due to lack of consensus. 

And again, someone with under a 100 posts schooling those of us who have been here a decade or longer.  Of course, you've been living here from 20 years, but just started to comment on TV.  :closedeyes: 

And again, someone who knows how long someone has resided here based on number of posts!! I too have been here permanently since 2009, with 3-4 visits per year prior to that since 2005 when I first started working offshore Vietnam. This is of course all irrelevant, because it does not/ should not have any bearing on the legitimacy of my opinion. You can agree or disagree with anything I post, that is your right, but to dismiss it due to your perceived superior wisdom because you have more posts sort of reflects more on yourself than anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

He's not just stepping on toes of the legal and above board expats but eradicating them also! I for one who has had both marriage ext and retirement ext since 2004 and a number of businesses, employed Thai's and always paid my taxes. I also have a Thai wife and children aged 11 & 13. But the changes made by thai immigration have posed a massive problem for me being able to renew my ext in Sept 19.

I have always been able to meet the requirements of a minimum net pension income of 65000 and used the LOI from the embassy to provide evidence of this. With backup documentation of letter from pension company, P60's, bank statements etc so my ext's have always been smooth. However, that will now end because I have to meet the new rule of transferring a minimum of 65000 baht to my Thai bank account every month which is not possible for me to be able to fulfil this requirement yet I do have a higher than 65000 net pension. Note that I also have property assets in Thai. But because I have other commitments in UK & Spain I have to meet each month it is now not possible for me to transfer 65000 baht every month as required. So I am one of those to be eradicated! Nice policy and nice way to treat those who have contributed to the Thai economy over the last 14 years. Yet now it appears I will not be able to renew my ext in Sept because I have not be able to transfer 65000 a month to my Thai bank. Some years ago I had millions of baht in my Thai bank accounts but now unfortunately not.

So I am now basically f.cked! And as I believe are so many other legitimate expats who qualify in terms of income but cant get the amounts required to their Thai bank accounts without failing to meet their home/other country commitments. I could manage 45000 to a Thai bank account each month at a push. Also, failure to take into account real estate assets is another flaw because this would provide evidence that the applicant has means!

My two pennies.

tracy3eyes, have you thought about the combo method?  If you can transfer, say 40,000 per month, you'd only need 320,000 in the bank. If you and the wife own property and you don't have 320,000, maybe you could borrow it from the bank here. 

1. Don't get discouraged by what you read. Too many posters on TV leave readers with a sense of doom and gloom.

2. Look for solutions not at problems.

Don't give up. All the best.

29 minutes ago, Misab 1 said:

Why so many rumors. Keep to the facts.

Big Joke enjoys stirring the pot and getting expats all worked up...Then pumping out some half baked new rules that are open to various interpretations...Which is then followed up by complete silence.....He then kicks back and enjoys watching expats go crazy as they go into a tizzy trying to figure out what he ment.....As a added bonus the expats attack and fight among themselves......Its all great fun....... 

On 3/28/2019 at 9:05 AM, Khaeng Mak said:

Easier, faster and more watertight =

• 1.6 million baht on deposit for 12 months for retirement extension
  • 800K baht on deposit for 12 months for wedding extension
  • 30 day reporting with full finger printing and facial scan on each occassion
  • 10K baht fine for not doing TM30 report (payable by foreigner on next extension application)
  • Compulsory medical insurance payable to agent at each immigration office. No choice of providers
  • New stamps that will burn a full page in your passport, not just half a page like the previous ones.

That's very close to what I friend, from the Korat immigration told us. The deposit numbers are correct, but they will become bonds payable to the Tax office, any income from investments considered as income tax.

2 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

That's very close to what I friend, from the Korat immigration told us. The deposit numbers are correct, but they will become bonds payable to the Tax office, any income considered from investments as income tax.

I think you've just given KM a heart attack!

6 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Big Joke enjoys stirring the pot and getting expats all worked up...Then pumping out some half baked new rules that are open to various interpretations...Which is then followed up by complete silence.....He then kicks back and enjoys watching expats go crazy as thay go into a tizzy trying to figure out what he ment.....As a added bonus the expats attack and fight among themselves......Its all great fun....... 

Thai institutions employ as standard a tactic of sending up vague trial balloons to test response without commitment/embarrassment

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I came in late.

However after getting only about 3 pages into the thread, the hysteria, paranoia, false rumors, lies, selfishness, bad jokes and just plain idiocy became too much for my little brain to absorb. To trawl through 30 pages of the same became something I couldn't face.

31 pages of teeth gnashing, you haven't missed anything.

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

If Thailand wants to attract the types of farangs found in places like Singapore and Hong Kong, it will need to improve beyond what I think the culture will allow. Thai culture is fairly unevolved, and the kinds of people it attracts, in the main, are a reflection of Thais themselves.

It is unfortunate that you have such a view. The foreign guests complaining of the . small amount of money required to establish solvency  standard for a visa like to point to Singapore and Hong Kong. We remind that that the minimum income requirement for a work visa requirement in Singapore is Singapore $6,000 month about 145,000 Thai Baht per month. Long term non resident visas are sparingly granted. Singapore is a wonderful nation and a friend of Thailand, but as a small country, has different visa  requirements that reflect its economy and national characteristic. 

23 hours ago, mokwit said:

China has also been making it increasingly harder for expats to stay - but that is just coincidence.

Actually you are 100% wrong. I'm a China expat. Every THREE years, I get a medical for 333 yuan (c1660THB), show my police registration (compulsorily renewed every time I re-enter the country) my wife's ID, my passport, my last entry stamp, my marriage book and my wife's family book and for 800 yuan (c3700THB, I get a three year residency permit.  That hasn't changed in seven years.

What China has done is made it increasingly difficult for unqualified charlatans to work in the ESL sector after several cases of child abuse by foreigners came to light and eliminate those working on tourist visas by stipulating that tourist visas can only be obtained outside China. Also ESL teachers can only be recruited in their home countries.

I don't see that protecting kids and their standard of education is a bad thing.

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

All these posts from those on marriage visas seeing it from their point of view and expecting the Thai authorities to be appreciative. The authorities don't want you. In fact they want you even less. If you marry a Thai woman you are supposed to taker her back to your country. You are hanging by a thread because you are supporting a Thai family. The authorities are not grateful to you for this. They would prefer retirees in a farang ghetto to people living amongst the populiace. Don't confuse the acceptance you get from Thais at the local level with the attitudes of those who control things.

Agreed.

The (mostly Thai-Chinese) Old Guard Thais, in my experience, generally passionately HATE farang, and it doesn't matter if the farang are rich or poor, educated or not. I worked among them for many years. 

One of the reasons many farang think Thailand is unassailable is because they, being either retirees, or perhaps due to careers of limited socioeconomic reach, or both, have almost no contact with these psuedo elite Thais.

Thai-Chinese Old Guard do not want elite farang - - because

1. they KNOW they cannot compete with these farang (Lost Face

2. more important, farang, unlike Asians, will not play the game pretending that Thais are up to standard. Farang will spare no opportunities to make these snob Thai-Chinese aware of how unskilled and unclassy and poorly educated and poorly cultured they are. (Lost Face

They prefer that Thailand remain a playground full of smiling, compliant, brown people. THEIR brown people. They will tolerate a few inconsequential farang (many of whom marry into Thai families the Thai-Chinese consider low birth). 

54 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Big Joke enjoys stirring the pot and getting expats all worked up...Then pumping out some half baked new rules that are open to various interpretations...Which is then followed up by complete silence.....He then kicks back and enjoys watching expats go crazy as they go into a tizzy trying to figure out what he ment.....As a added bonus the expats attack and fight among themselves......Its all great fun....... 

Shame he can't read English, he'd be pissing himself!

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, impulse said:

if he wants to stop the illegal visa's then why do they not outlaw Agents, that is the way to sort all the slick moves, he has only increased the fee's they are charging, so who is his actions benefiting?

they are forcing more punters into their revenue stream.

yer big crackdown on the honest people.  

They only need to go to most immigration offices unannounced and they will see all the naughty kids making big money.  

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe I'm deluded but at least I don't suffer from chronic paranoia. BJ is just trying to eradicate all the expats who acquire their extensions illegally or through the back door. The problem is in doing so they are  inadvertently going to tread on the toes of the expats who's applications are legal and above board.  

Its naughty school kid syndrome. One kid misbehaves and doesn't own up so the whole class gets punished.  

34 minutes ago, Thaiarrow said:

It is unfortunate that you have such a view. The foreign guests complaining of the . small amount of money required to establish solvency  standard for a visa like to point to Singapore and Hong Kong. We remind that that the minimum income requirement for a work visa requirement in Singapore is Singapore $6,000 month about 145,000 Thai Baht per month. Long term non resident visas are sparingly granted. Singapore is a wonderful nation and a friend of Thailand, but as a small country, has different visa  requirements that reflect its economy and national characteristic. 

To me, it is unfortunate not that I have my views but rather that the country is such dump culturally. 

As for the financial requirements, they would be small for me and for many, but I respect that they are not insignificant for all. Nobody is immune to financial misfortune from life's tests: failed western marriages, dependent children, dependent parents, careers impacted by unpredictable global events, sickness, etc. 

What many are complaining about is not the standards but things like 

1. The seemingly shifting sand under their feet resulting from Thai inexplicable changes in policy

2. The vagueness with which Thais communicate the policies 

3. The haphazard Thai enforcement of policies 

4. The lack of sufficient thought as to roadmaping new policy (such as thinking about what happens to people currently under a different policy regime) 

It is mostly UNCERTAINTY that many fear

19 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It is mostly UNCERTAINTY that many fear

Fear is a strong word, I'd like to say uncertainty is what makes people leave the country and inform others not to come. The beat of the drums will eventually enter main stream and then it's beyond repair. I for one would be happy to see Thailand blasted 24/7 for it's archaic rules & regulations, it's the only thing that forces real action.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

We'll probably never know as he seems to have backed out from the lion's den before identifying the paymaster.

The failure of Thaiarrow to identify after specifically being asked to do so is a strong tell - someone acting in an official capacity would recognise that to maintain credibility they would pretty much have to identify themselves under those circumstances.

Archived