Legal advice - not sure if my understanding of the law is correct

phuket11

21 hours ago, Briggsy said:

When I worked in Bangkok, one of my farang colleagues was imprisoned for 6 months for exactly this. The essential part is that her parent(s) need to make a police complaint. If one parent does this, you're toast.

I agree.

If the parents can see a baht in it, they would have filed a police report, which is waiting at the airport for you. 

If there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Is it worth the risk? 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Since the relationship was ongoing, yes, the complaint must have come within 3 months of the date of the offence.

In Big Ass' case it was much later than 3 months. Got 2 years. 

Why on earth would you seriously ask for the correct legal interpretation of an English translation of Thai law from any member here who is not a lawyer?  If you get the answer that you want are you going to take it as gospel and breathe easy?

Correction, it seems that "brokenbone" is a lawyer, you're in the clear!

Edited by Just Weird

56 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why on earth would you seriously ask for the correct legal interpretation of an English translation of Thai law from any member here who is not a lawyer?  If you get the answer that you want are you going to take it as gospel and breathe easy?

Correction, it seems that "brokenbone" is a lawyer, you're in the clear!

Because there's not really much else I can do, is there? I already asked if anyone knows a Thai lawyer I can contact from overseas, seems no one does.

I'm perfectly capable of reading, it's just the two articles 95 and 96 appear to contradict.

8 hours ago, brokenbone said:

your age difference is perfectly normal and legal age

is 15 for that kind of relation.

its 18 only for prostitution

Very bad advice. Completely wrong. Read the law. If the parents make a police complaint about sexual activity with an under 18, prison is a very real possibility.

You have confused 2 issues and different offences.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phuket11 said:

Because there's not really much else I can do, is there? I already asked if anyone knows a Thai lawyer I can contact from overseas, seems no one does.

I'm perfectly capable of reading, it's just the two articles 95 and 96 appear to contradict.

There's a lot you can do.  Try the internet for a lawyer in Thailand, I just did and, guess what, you get a list of them.  They all can be contacted from wherever you are. 

Try Tilleke and Gibbins, probably the most reputable in SE Asia but they will cost you more than advice from members here, the advantage is, of course, that the firm will know what it is talking about.

I didn't suggest that you can't read and I've no idea where you got that from, perhaps you need to read my comment again?   I was expressing surprise that you were happy to ask total strangers for legal advice/interpretation regarding a serious matter that obviously concerns you from unqualified, anonymous posters on a forum not known for it's expertise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brokenbone said:

your age difference is perfectly normal and legal age

is 15 for that kind of relation.

its 18 only for prostitution

How can it be 18 for prostitution when prostitution is illegal here?

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

There's a lot you can do.  Try the internet for a lawyer in Thailand, I just did and, guess what, you get a list of them.  They all can be contacted from wherever you are. 

Try Tilleke and Gibbins, probably the most reputable in SE Asia but they will cost you more than advice from members here, the advantage is, of course, that the firm will know what it is talking about.

I didn't suggest that you can't read and I've no idea where you got that from, perhaps you need to read my comment again?   I was expressing surprise that you were happy to ask total strangers for legal advice/interpretation regarding a serious matter that obviously concerns you from unqualified, anonymous posters on a forum not known for it's expertise.

Well, I'm not made of money, so wouldn't be able to pay the fees of a lawyer firm that is used to take part in matters involving multi million dollar clients. I hardly think this matter from a random guy on the street would attract their interest.

Should we even need to pay expensive lawyers to get an understanding of a fairly simple legal matter? Really, the law should be understandable to the common person.

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Very bad advice. Completely wrong. Read the law. If the parents make a police complaint about sexual activity with an under 18, prison is a very real possibility.

You have confused 2 issues and different offences.

Yeah it's quite clear according to the Thai criminal code that the law was broken. That's not in dispute. My question is more concerning the time that such an offence can be prosecuted, as it's a compoundable offence but one potentially punishable by a fairly long prison sentence.

Edited by phuket11