Help needed with miles redemption

blackcab

I have 144,000+ Thai airways miles. I want to redeem the miles for a round trip business class ticket from Bangkok to London.

Question is, which is the better choice: A Thai airways flight that costs 130,000 miles or a Star Alliance flight that costs 144,000 miles?

Service levels, comfort, lounge access and any cash payment required for taxes or any other charge could be considered.

Your opinions and expert advice please.

Assuming one wants to benefit from a direct flight BKK-LHR it is a straight choice between ThaiAir and Eva Air. If you are intending to continue using ThaiAir as your frequent flyer membership of choice, then I would be inclined to take the flight with them. You will also have a bigger choice of flights on any particular day. Can't comment on recent enough comparative BC experience....

....on the other hand others have reported that securing redemptions on Thai Airways is a pain, so maybe best explore availability on both airlines.

In my experience Eva is a better flight experience than Thai - better seat layout in business, but both used ancient planes on thus route.

But good luck finding an available awards flight on Thai anyway, may need to book a long way in advance.

Business Class on Thai on the London route is fine (A380 and 777-300). In recent years I have only been on Eva on the Bangkok to London return trip in business class once and there are some things that people consider make it better than Thai (pyjamas, amenity kit for example), but after thousands of flights mostly in business or first class the novelty wears off (at least for me).

To me important points to consider would include availability when you want to go and return, do you want to stay in London on arrival, time of the flight (departure and arrival), duration of stay and if working immediately on arrival. I prefer to arrive in London early morning, not late evening and the same on the return.

Lounge access is the same for both airlines in terms of access to lounges, so for example you can use Eva, Singapore Airlines, Thai, Turkish Airlines in Bangkok.

IF that is for short notice, just take whatever you can get-there wont be too much choice. Also consider the usual EURO-** airls with change in FRA/ZRH or VIE. LH to FRA uses also AB380.

THAI used to be pretty good for its Gold-members with ROP in giving away ''free''flights, but they have to tighten the expense.

Archived