Obsession with max. volume

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It is worth repeating at this point the theories that Ford had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious, as in "It's a nice day," or "You're very tall," or "So this is it, we're going to die."

His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably shriveled up.

After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this--"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working."

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Not quite the same thing, but the topic brought this quote to mind.  Maybe substitute "lips" for "stereo systems" in the case of the Thais.  Humans in general seem to be tilted this way, but the Thais do seem to have an especial penchant for "turning it up to 11." 

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

sounds like the idiots in hot hatch backs, who seem to think that others enjoy their rap music on full volume as they cruise around looking cool. 

Rap "music"?? Don't you mean crap music?

3 hours ago, seajae said:

problem is thais have no sense of setting the bass correctly, they just have full bass so when the music is turned up loud it is distorted to buggery. I actually adjusted the bass at one work party my wife organized so the music sounded pretty good at full volume but within minutes another idiot came and turned the bass back to full again, they have no sense of what music should actually sound like

They have no sense of music period.????

God help us when the perpetual whiners realise sound meters can be bought from Lazada. I can see the dB threads equalling the AQI threads.'

' I measured 98 dBA yesterday at a funeral' 'That's nothing I measured 102dB..... Blah blab blah.'

I have nothing against people who complain and then take some action. Complaining but doing nothing is just whining .

Just now, emptypockets said:

God help us when the perpetual whiners realise sound meters can be bought from Lazada. I can see the dB threads squalling the AQI threads.'

' I measured 98 dBA yesterday at a funeral' 'That's nothing I measured 102dB..... Blah blab blah.'

I have nothing against people who complain and then take some action. Complaining but doing nothing is just whining .

Yeah all those bluddy whiners always complaining bout something , this forums full of everyone and complaining and  whining about things .

Not me though, I never whine and complain about anything 

5 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Our house vibrated and rattled for a few more hours as a consequence...

Be happy you're not neighbor to a bar, or a party place, then your house would vibrate and rattle every evening and most of the nights...

:intheclub:

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yeah all those bluddy whiners always complaining bout something , this forums full of everyone and complaining and  whining about things .

Not me though, I never whine and complain about anything 

Perhaps an example may help.

Too much noise so complain on TVF. 

Yet the same people often advise on threads about a 45 kilo 5 foot nothing Thai female causing problems to a farang 'to grow some balls' or ' be a man'!

Why aren't these same heroes suggesting to go and sort the noise maker out, after all they have huge balls.......apparently.

Maybe the ain't so tough after all

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

True. I have been at concert where the level was clearly more than these speakers can put out but the distortion here and the fact that they are tone death doesn't help.

Your spell-checker got it right!

But seriously, consider this:-

Deaf people, by and large, speak louder to compensate for their "disability/impairment/handicap" (pc people please choose the least offensive, I cam't be bothered), we all know sustainedhigh levels of music/noise/sound (techno-crap lovers take your pick) cause hearing damage.

Large sections of society here and elsewhere seem unable to pass any time at all in the absence of said music/noise/sound: possibly because other large sections of society seem unable to resist inflicting it upon them, in the names of entertainment, advertising, political campaining, or sheer bloody-minded "up yours, here-I-am"ness (Harleys, street racers, boom-boom trucks apply here).

So, most of the population is hearing-impaired from an early age, and encouraged throughout life to make it worse. Add in the wonderful side effect that loud "music" inhibits the necessity for social intercourse, so we can spend more time browsing/interacting/grazing/vapidly wasting our time on the internet when we should be directly communicating across the f_----ing table.

Oh and by the way, tone deaf and tone death are both correct. Rant over.

20 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Your spell-checker got it right!

But seriously, consider this:-

Deaf people, by and large, speak louder to compensate for their "disability/impairment/handicap" (pc people please choose the least offensive, I cam't be bothered), we all know sustainedhigh levels of music/noise/sound (techno-crap lovers take your pick) cause hearing damage.

Large sections of society here and elsewhere seem unable to pass any time at all in the absence of said music/noise/sound: possibly because other large sections of society seem unable to resist inflicting it upon them, in the names of entertainment, advertising, political campaining, or sheer bloody-minded "up yours, here-I-am"ness (Harleys, street racers, boom-boom trucks apply here).

So, most of the population is hearing-impaired from an early age, and encouraged throughout life to make it worse. Add in the wonderful side effect that loud "music" inhibits the necessity for social intercourse, so we can spend more time browsing/interacting/grazing/vapidly wasting our time on the internet when we should be directly communicating across the f_----ing table.

Oh and by the way, tone deaf and tone death are both correct. Rant over.

Sorry?...... Say again please.......what was that?

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

Your thinking about this from a Western angle. They are being considerate by turning up the volume so that everyone can enjoy it rather than selfishly keeping it to themselves.

Think i am joking? Was visiting with a friend to a house in the middle of rice fields with another house further along blaring out music at an insane level - our host pointed out how considerate it was of their neighbour to turn up the volume high enough they they could enjoy it too.

That's interesting.  I hadn't thought of that.

Thais have a higher pain threshold than Farangs. This includes their hearing. They also have a habit of turning up the bass to the max. It’s the bass note that travels right through the whole building.

If you complain about their noise, don’t be surprised if they beat the crap out of you.

One of the reasons I won’t buy a condo is the fact that if we get a noisy neighbour we are stuck with it. Renting a condo, you can always move out.

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thais have a higher pain threshold than Farangs. This includes their hearing. They also have a habit of turning up the bass to the max. It’s the bass note that travels right through the whole building.

If you complain about their noise, don’t be surprised if they beat the crap out of you.

One of the reasons I won’t buy a condo is the fact that if we get a noisy neighbour we are stuck with it. Renting a condo, you can always move out.

Can you post links to you claims that some humans have a higher threshold to pain based on nationality?

30 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Can you post links to you claims that some humans have a higher threshold to pain based on nationality?

Merely stating from obvious observation. Do your own clinical trial. Go whack one on the head and note the reaction.

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

sounds like the idiots in hot hatch backs, who seem to think that others enjoy their rap music on full volume as they cruise around looking cool. 

Unfortunately the "idiots" ( I call them <deleted><deleted> ) are everywhere.

Not helped that manufacturers of sound systems now include a max base feature. Even my car stereo has such.

I once passed the speakers set up on Sanam Luang for some celebration. Many speakers together higher than me and meters in length, when I was in front of them I felt like my eardrums were tearing. It's why Thais can sleep through any noise- they are deaf from loud speakers.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Most Thai music sounds to me like cats being tortured. I either put on the headphones for the kind of music I like, or insert earplugs. 10 minutes is my limit at any Thai social event.

My wife once took me to a local club. The sound level was so high I had to leave the room and wait for her outside.

We’ve 13 dogs .... most of them at the farm 3 minutes drive away.

usually 6-7 will be at the house in the morning. The village plays music LOUD at 06:30 and the dogs howl.... then the music stops and someone talks about something for sale or??? 

Guess people just like things loud... we live just outside the main village but they’ve put up speakers like you’d see in the 70s 

18 hours ago, thequietman said:

Hopefully, this will help explain in this Buddhist nation. ????

buddah.jpg

Except that this is not a Buddhist nation. It is an Animist, Hindu nation with a dash low class Theravada Buddhism slapped on. 

I'm sitting in front of my house overlooking the beach and some inconsiderate bas***d has just pulled up his pick-up truck with external speakers, and is now playing Simon & Garfunkel at top volume.

"The Sounds of Silence".

Pity the irony is missed..!

5 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I'm sitting in front of my house overlooking the beach and some inconsiderate bas***d has just pulled up his pick-up truck with external speakers, and is now playing Simon & Garfunkel at top volume.

"The Sounds of Silence".

Nice song though....????......Plus none of that OTT base with it....

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife once took me to a local club. The sound level was so high I had to leave the room and wait for her outside.

I do that as a matter of course after ten minutes. And my GF wonders why her father is as deaf as a post.

23 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Merely stating from obvious observation. Do your own clinical trial. Go whack one on the head and note the reaction.

People in the third world have little access to quality medical care. When they get sick, they just tough it out. After a while, they get used to the constant pain.  

Go to the country side of  Mainland China, most sixty year old farmers have as many teeth as you have fingers.  

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Most Thai music sounds to me like cats being tortured. I either put on the headphones for the kind of music I like, or insert earplugs. 10 minutes is my limit at any Thai social event.

cats nails on a chalk board...same with thai women's laughter.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, steve73 said:

"The Sounds of Silence".

Unfortunately, the world has been taken over by inconsiderate bas***ds. I blame the nanny state education system. In my day they caned us for almost anything, but I never want to disturb other people with <deleted> noise that pretends to be music played so loudly the bass beat can be felt 50 meters away. I didn't learn much at school except people are bullies, but I did learn some manners.

Archived