Easiest northern, Chiang Mai, e.g., ampur for marriage registration.

Bill Miller

Alright! Nearly five years  as a couple and we will formalize the deal in April.
Does anyone have experience/knowledge of the easiest amphur/amphoe to register a marriage in the north central to northwest area? We will be living in Mae La Noi in Mae Hong Son for awhile, but also going as needed to Chiang Mai, etc.
By "easiest" I mean in terms of documents required. I have read that some offices require a certified copy of the foreigner's passport.  Some but maybe not all need an MFA stamped copy of the already notarized then translated and RE-notarized
 eligibility to marry.
I have received an appointment via the byzantine US Embassy website for my eligibility document. Maybe best to get the notarized passport copy at the same time. Another $50, but better to have and not need....

Get certified copy of passport and affidavit to marry. Translate into Thai. Take to legalization  office and legalize. Copywifes house book and Government ID. Going through same thing. My district office does in two steps. Visit and provide all documents. In a few days they call and tell you to come and sign and bring two friends to witness.

Hang Dong was easy for us in February 

the eligibilty to marry document is required to be certified by the MFA.  At Hang Dong the passport copy is not required to be certified, although we had them done in case.

seems Hang Dong Amphur office is used to foreigners getting married.

We used an agent , Star Visa, and they provided the 2 Thai witnesses and completed all the forms at the Amphur office for us to sign. Well worth their reasonable fee.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:47 PM, mike787 said:

I thought there was consistency across all systems here in Thailand. So some places are easier to get married, Visa, and open a bank account?  Hmmm.

We went today to Bang Lamung, with the MFA documents and certified passport copies, and all translations and were told we could have to wait upto 3 months.... it's a lottery and if you're trying to synchronize with a visa application forget it.

Thinking marrying in England is worth the extra expense now 

Archived