Bangkok Bank CW for deposit account

It appears my joint account with Thai wife may not be acceptable for 65k per month method so ask if anyone has opened account at CW branch in their name only using Embassy letter?  Suspect they would be the best choice for knowing what is required for annual letter of transfers if can open account there.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It appears my joint account with Thai wife may not be acceptable for 65k per month method so ask if anyone has opened account at CW branch in their name only using Embassy letter?  Suspect they would be the best choice for knowing what is required for annual letter of transfers if can open account there.

Isn't it going to be easy to open an account in the same branch the you already have the joint account? Take your wife and she can guarantee for you. They need a Thai to vouch for  you.  

bkk bank at CW can handle the necessary statements for extensions regardless of branch.  (in bangkok at least...)

but note they only have access to database going back a short time....(i forget if 60 or 90 days)

if you need a statement showing foreign transfers before that short period, you need to get it at the branch that maintains your account.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

but note they only have access to database going back a short time....(i forget if 60 or 90 days)

I think any branch can access and print out 6 months of records. Longer than that it has to be requested from the head office.

I can get 6 months of transactions using online banking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Isn't it going to be easy to open an account in the same branch the you already have the joint account? Take your wife and she can guarantee for you. They need a Thai to vouch for  you.  

Not necessarily I have a joint account at Bangkok Bank with my wife but my local Bangkok Bank branch where we have the joint account gave me such a hard time that I went to my local SCB branch and opened an account in my name only.  My local Bangkok Bank branch wanted to make a copy of my original Social Security Card from the States which I don’t even remember what I did with I think I left it in my briefcase that’s in storage back in the States, and they wanted some kind of letter from Immigration to open an account in my name only.  

So I went to SCB and I opened an account in my name only with no problems at all, all they asked to see were documents that I have readily available and I did have to provide my Social Security Number on their forms but it was really easy.  I have excellent online banking with SCB and everything else I need including a real debit card with the Master Card logo on it.  

It just depends on the bank branch they all have their own little rules on what’s required for a foreigner to open their own account.  If they give you a hard time just ask to speak with the manager and if the manager also gives you a hard time then don’t even waste your time just go to a different branch or bank.  

Opening a Thai bank account in your own name can be a challenge but it is very doable.  Apparently ever since 2016 some of the banks made some new rules I guess I’m not sure.  When we originally opened the joint account at Bangkok Bank that was back in 2015 before they started making things more difficult and back then all they needed was my passport.  Although I had no problem opening my own account at my local SCB branch.  It just depends on the local bank branch sometimes you have to do a little bit of bank shopping until you find the right bank.  It took me about two or three tries until I eventually got my own bank account at my local SCB branch.  My local SCB branch is really good but it just depends on where you live I guess and that particular bank branch.  

6 hours ago, onera1961 said:

They need a Thai to vouch for  you.  

8 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

???

Bangkok Bank (Siam Paragon) could care less if anyone vouched for me. What the needed, from me, was an "Affidavit of Residence", in lieu of a work permit (retired). They had the rest of the necessary paperwork for direct deposit of SSI. They also forwarded said paperwork to SSI Manila.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim7777 said:

Not necessarily I have a joint account at Bangkok Bank with my wife but my local Bangkok Bank branch where we have the joint account gave me such a hard time that I went to my local SCB branch and opened an account in my name only.  My local Bangkok Bank branch wanted to make a copy of my original Social Security Card from the States which I don’t even remember what I did with I think I left it in my briefcase that’s in storage back in the States, and they wanted some kind of letter from Immigration to open an account in my name only.  

So I went to SCB and I opened an account in my name only with no problems at all, all they asked to see were documents that I have readily available and I did have to provide my Social Security Number on their forms but it was really easy.  I have excellent online banking with SCB and everything else I need including a real debit card with the Master Card logo on it.  

It just depends on the bank branch they all have their own little rules on what’s required for a foreigner to open their own account.  If they give you a hard time just ask to speak with the manager and if the manager also gives you a hard time then don’t even waste your time just go to a different branch or bank.  

Opening a Thai bank account in your own name can be a challenge but it is very doable.  Apparently ever since 2016 some of the banks made some new rules I guess I’m not sure.  When we originally opened the joint account at Bangkok Bank that was back in 2015 before they started making things more difficult and back then all they needed was my passport.  Although I had no problem opening my own account at my local SCB branch.  It just depends on the local bank branch sometimes you have to do a little bit of bank shopping until you find the right bank.  It took me about two or three tries until I eventually got my own bank account at my local SCB branch.  My local SCB branch is really good but it just depends on where you live I guess and that particular bank branch.  

Why would they require an American social security number? Seems some risk of identity theft to me.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think any branch can access and print out 6 months of records.

Can confirm this on the basis of personal experience. Although my Bangkok Bank account is with their Rayong branch, I managed to obtain my initial 6-month statement for my next retirement extension from a shopping mall sub-branch - who informed me that they could also provide the standard balance confirmation letter in due course.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think any branch can access and print out 6 months of records. Longer than that it has to be requested from the head office.

this was almost two years ago....already fading... must have had the 800k in the account for seasoning over six months then...., cw branch of bangkok bank could not provide the statement confirming foreign source. 

40 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

Why would they require an American social security number? Seems some risk of identity theft to me.

To help satisfy FATCA requirements...help ensure the person gave their true SS number versus giving a bogus number to avoid correct FATCA reporting.   

51 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Bangkok Bank (Siam Paragon) could care less if anyone vouched for me. What the needed, from me, was an "Affidavit of Residence", in lieu of a work permit (retired). They had the rest of the necessary paperwork for direct deposit of SSI. They also forwarded said paperwork to SSI Manila.

A Thai guarantor (vouch person) is not required but is a lot cheaper than paying for the Embassy document.

10 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

A Thai guarantor (vouch person) is not required but is a lot cheaper than paying for the Embassy document.

Bring that Thai guarantor to Bangkok Bank and see how it goes .....

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you use the BB 6 month online transactions print out at immigration (for 65k method)?

If so, do you get it authenticated at your BB branch?

Or will immigration only accept an original BB authorised print out?

22 minutes ago, rawhod said:

Do you use the BB 6 month online transactions print out at immigration (for 65k method)?

If so, do you get it authenticated at your BB branch?

Or will immigration only accept an original BB authorised print out?

No

I have printed (printed to a PDF file) a online statement showing 6 months of more than 40k baht starting from last August to use if needed when I apply for my extension of stay based upon marriage in late July or early August.

My bank book also shows all of the transfers going into my account.

I will check to find out what my local immigration office wants before doing the application. To early to ask now.

20 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

Too funny. Central Bangkok just opened up a BKK bank account yesterday. Despite all the paperwork it was fast. The social number she just had me write it down and that was that. Im sure WP from my well known school helped, it's like a get out of jail free card 555.

I had a similar problem you describe at UOB.

Sometimes the service at SCB is not so personable but they are ez to work with imo.

Edited by Number 6

On 4/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, ChouDoufu said:

bkk bank at CW can handle the necessary statements for extensions regardless of branch.  (in bangkok at least...)

if you need a statement showing foreign transfers before that short period, you need to get it at the branch that maintains your account.

I went to the branch where I opened the account and they said they have to fill out a bunch of forms and send them off to the main office for me to get a year's worth of account activity at a cost of 500B.  It has been three weeks and still they have not come in.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think any branch can access and print out 6 months of records. Longer than that it has to be requested from the head office.  I can get 6 months of transactions using online banking.

I requested online access to my account and - wait for it - more forms needed to be filled out.  This was a couple years ago.  After a few months of waiting and no reply from the main office, we sat down and filled out another set of forms and sent those off.  Weeks went by with no reply from the main office.  I am starting to take it personally.  Is there some reason why online access isn't automatically set up when opening the account?

I don't get it.  The banking system is computerized here.  There's no reason why all of my records shouldn't be available at the click of a mouse.

I also have a Kasikorn account.  At least they were able to print up all my transaction records going back to the opening of the account (2013) right there on the spot.  And it wasn't even the branch where I opened the account.