Hua Hin: Sit here for free but please order food - woman complains about beach rip off

webfact

Hua Hin: Sit here for free but please order food - woman complains about beach rip off

7pm.jpg

A Thai woman went online to complain that her family was ripped off for food on Hua Hin beach. 

She said that beach chairs and umbrellas are advertised as being free. As soon as people sit down they are told that they should order food. 

"Khun Kung" (Miss Prawn) said that her mum was tired and wanted to sit down. She appreciated that they should order something to "pay for the right to sit".  They ordered two plates of food even though there appeared to be eight in the family. . 

But they were taking up eight chairs and the staff told them they had to order more. 

They ordered four plates and drinks but eight plates of food arrived. 

They were shocked when the bill arrived for 2,300 baht. 

They had the following: Coconut shakes 240 baht, Prawn fried rice, 400, Seafood salad 500, Oysters 500, Prawns in batter, 500. With water, ice and coke the total bill was 2,300 baht. 

The husband went mad.

Kung posted online. 

Netizens posted similar stories. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-01

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should have known better. Nothing is free not even -no cover charge- as it fronts for what comes next.

Why didn't they ask for a menu.?

I had lunch on the beach with some Thais in Rayong ,atleast we had a table and bench.

Only reason I agreed to eating on the beach was because I wasn't paying. Lol

Bill  for 3 or so basic rice dishes,  a fish plate and a couple of Singhas630 ml bottles 2000 b thereabouts.

Waste of money.

Just now, Lucius verus said:

They should have known better. Nothing is free not even -no cover charge- as it fronts for what comes next.

I had lunch on the beach with some Thais in Rayong ,atleast we had a table and bench.

Bill  for 3 or so basic rice dishes,  a fish plate and a couple of Singhas630 ml bottles 2000 b thereabouts.

Waste of money.

cheap charlies everywhere

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

it appears not only foreigners get scammed 555

Indeed, foreigners are always moaning that they are targeted but in reality Thais get scammed too. Just need to pay attention here.

12 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Well actually the world doesn't revolve around farangs in Thailand. Would have to wonder where they where on the beach. Went with the wife and her mom and sister a few years ago and we made  day of it do not remember the bill being that expensive, but looking at their bill they did order high end food. Ten dollars a piece not bad for sea food in thailand. By the way has anyone ever seen the way Thais go over the bill in a club or restarant, they know they get scammed, they are the majority of the customers here

Mavideol...   I am a cheap charlie?

Yep, if thats what you call it.

There is very little in Thailand worth paying western money for. Local food is terrific except  most seafood.    30 -50 b for A full meal...never had food poisoning. Hookers ,  if you want one,30 dollars, clothes dirt cheap,rent dirt cheap with a/c.,even Buddha statues that farangs pay 800- 5000b for are given away free by temples to regulars who give alms.

Many end up in soi markets...farang are gullible.

If I am defined as a  cheap charlie so be it.

Eight people - 2300 Baht - a seafood feast. Not really a rip-off. Bit expensive.

All over Thailand local power players (politicians, police, military, high-level civil servants) have to cash in on their purchased positions or they would be out of pocket. They don't do complex things like precision engineering or world class manufacturing because they can't. They do the things they can that are straightforward and can be enforced easily. They sell the right to sell things in certain areas and they sell the right to run local transport.

These increase the price in 2 ways. Firstly the vendor has to pass the cost of buying the "right to sell" on to the customer. Secondly, since they have a guaranteed monopoly in that area there is no competition to drive prices down.

The result is Miss Plastic Surgery goes on Facebook to complain about the cost of eating on the beach.

My wife(thai) visited a small food ship in soi 88 yesterday. Their bill should have been 249 baht but when the cashier totalled it up an extra 200 baht was added. Her and her friend got the menu and started adding up. At which the boss ( Thai) came over and told his cashier " know already " at which point the bill was reduced down to the correct amount. It's not just us that get ripped off. 

I stopped at a 5 star beach front hotel for a 390 bht pizza,,not bad I thought,,,then I wanted can of coke 115 bht......lol.... should I make a big scene over it????????????????............you live and learn and never return to places like that

A seafood meal for 8 people for a fraction less than 300 Baht a head.....hardly a  rip off. My wife is just saying it is on Thai Media too, and many Thais are saying she is complaining about nothing. Fresh prawns here at the local market are 350 Baht a kilo at the moment. :smile:

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Indeed, foreigners are always moaning that they are targeted but in reality Thais get scammed too. Just need to pay attention here.

Where is the scam?

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Where is the scam?

True, not really a scam, just overpriced food. But you can call it a scam. I would not order a thing without looking on a menu first but I am a cheap Dutch guy ????

1 hour ago, Wildliferescue said:

Cha am and Huahin are both complete rip-offs with the food served on the beach. Run mafia style with municipality and police not giving a shit. 

Same as all the annoying flower sellers that annoy you day and night run by the same people. Using kids that are told sell or else

The thing is, you know how much these dishes cost. The prices are always the same, with the exception being a few Baht more or less here and there. That is in casual places of course, not the high-so type of place (where you'd expect to pay more). But these prices are 2 to 3 times what you'd expect. The dishes they had should be less than 1000 Baht altogether in your typical beach place.

4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Waste of money.

Her name says it all Miss Prawn??

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Hua-hin is one of few places where not only foreigners get scammed - This is a fact no one can take away from them ... :whistling:

we know this little strip of "restaurants" well - the first (and only) time we went my wife asked to see the menu. when she queried the 300baht for a plate of fried rice the elderly (lemon sucking) old lady said, and i kid you not, "same same price Hilton next door"

we went next door :cheesy: 

they really have no shame

2 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

we know this little strip of "restaurants" well - the first (and only) time we went my wife asked to see the menu. when she queried the 300baht for a plate of fried rice the elderly (lemon sucking) old lady said, and i kid you not, "same same price Hilton next door"

we went next door :cheesy: 

they really have no shame

RE - "same same price Hilton next door"

... but different ... :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

Well actually the world doesn't revolve around farangs in Thailand. Would have to wonder where they where on the beach. Went with the wife and her mom and sister a few years ago and we made  day of it do not remember the bill being that expensive, but looking at their bill they did order high end food. Ten dollars a piece not bad for sea food in thailand. By the way has anyone ever seen the way Thais go over the bill in a club or restarant, they know they get scammed, they are the majority of the customers here

My Thai son or his wife insist on knowing the price of every dish before it's ordered, my DIL makes a quick note on a scrap of paper. After the order is completed son or his wife insist on the order being read back and hold their fingers up to keep a dish count as it's being read back.

If son's inlaws are in the party my son politely tells them to tell him what they want, not tell the waiter directly, and tells the waiter he alone will order the food. This even more seriously applied to the midle aged very loud overweight ladyboy in the family who used to order every dish on the menu with no consultation with my son. Twice my son has made him pay for food he ordered.

If extra dishes arrive they are refused. If a more expenive dish is swapped for what's been ordered it's refused.

Son tells everybody we will have one big fish and no further seafood and ensures the waiter hears him. Other dishes ordered are standard fried rice etc. 

Drinks, again price is checked in advance, and son pays cash when any drink (if it'd been ordered) hits the table. If the waitress wants o refuse the instant cash payment my son insists.

Why, he got caught years back, he took his wife and then 1 kid and two alumni friends (both farang) from his studes in Singapore, and me to Jomtien beach. Bill was 6,000+Baht for not all that much food and drinks. When the bill came he inisted twice on an itemized bill, sure enough numerous dishes way in excess of the plates on the table and numerous way way overpriced seafood dishes which weren't ordered and weren't delivered to the table. And from memory 4 extra bottles of beer above the empties still at the table.

After bill was scrutinized it went down to about 2,000Baht. 

Archived