Hua Hin: Sit here for free but please order food - woman complains about beach rip off

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they ordered 4 plates of food and 8 plates arrived and they don't bother asking why ?? 

They thought " oh this restaurant is nice we got free food ?"

They didn't look on the menu or anything ??

I don't go Hua Hin often and all the time i see on line "how they scam you"...however, whenever i go there with my gf, we ask for the menu, it's a bit expensive but not a scam but for sure if I order 2 stuff and they bring me double i will tell them to bring it back.

2,300 baht for 8 people is alright, looking at the pictures, the quantity seems correct for that price.

Husband got mad because....he had to pay for it.

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

I stopped at a 5 star beach front hotel for a 390 bht pizza,,not bad I thought,,,then I wanted can of coke 115 bht......lol.... should I make a big scene over it????????????????............you live and learn and never return to places like that

Why not learn that Coke is bad for you and even an “expensive “ water is about 40 baht and often cheaper. Soda kills!! 

2 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Mavideol...   I am a cheap charlie?

Yep, if thats what you call it.

There is very little in Thailand worth paying western money for. Local food is terrific except  most seafood.    30 -50 b for A full meal...never had food poisoning. Hookers ,  if you want one,30 dollars, clothes dirt cheap,rent dirt cheap with a/c.,even Buddha statues that farangs pay 800- 5000b for are given away free by temples to regulars who give alms.

Many end up in soi markets...farang are gullible.

If I am defined as a  cheap charlie so be it.

I agree. So called Cheap Charlies are often wise shoppers. I prefer to look around, exercise my options and move on if I suspect a rip off. 

9 minutes ago, Wildliferescue said:

Nothing better to think off  than slugging someone off for her nose? Low. 

You seem to have ignored the rest of my rather long post which seems to make your comment redundant. Would you describe yourself as an angry person?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai woman went online to complain that her family was ripped off for food on Hua Hin beach. 

Well kid, you're first mistake was going to Hua Hin instead of Cha Am.  Wife and I love Cha Am.  And no "yeah these are free chairs" crap.  I don't expect 'free chairs'.  We pay a modest price for the day, like 50 THB or so.  Vendors come by and we buy what we want.  Wife is a crab, shrimp, and seafood junky and needs to get her fill.  After staying their a week or so, everyone knows us and we know them by first names - it's always a good time.  All it takes is a little mutual respect and a little light-hearted haggling over prices.  Life is good and you make some friends. 

Now -hearing about Thias ripping off Thais down in Hua Hin.  How freaking sad.  Is this the new paradigm?  Whatever - went to Hua Hin once.  Rented a motorcycle and traveled up to Cha Am.  Every since we now vacation at Cha Am.  Low-brow?  You bet.  And loving it.  I like real people. 

Well I got friends in lowww places,

Where the whiskey flows and the beer chases,

The blues away...

And I feel OK!  <laughs>

6 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

They should have known better. Nothing is free not even -no cover charge- as it fronts for what comes next.

Why didn't they ask for a menu.?

I had lunch on the beach with some Thais in Rayong ,atleast we had a table and bench.

Only reason I agreed to eating on the beach was because I wasn't paying. Lol

Bill  for 3 or so basic rice dishes,  a fish plate and a couple of Singhas630 ml bottles 2000 b thereabouts.

Waste of money.

keneow !  I would say there are many cheap charlies who stay in Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

keneow !  I would say there are many cheap charlies who stay in Thailand. 

We keep those of you with your heads up your derrieres entertained.  Smells like roses today, 'eh? 

Yes, Thai's ripping off Thais, this is also in their MO. ... And in the PR the same, ... but mostly on Taxi from the faeries etc Buses ... Realy the only rule is that the more you are perceived in Having, the more it could cost. Race comes in Secondary. .... Third World Style, ....  but also "Tourist Area" Style !!! ... Like I think that you just have to watch Tourist areas ...EVERY WHERE !!!

... Though locally here in Thailand, ... I learnt early on, .... That Familiarity Breeds the potential to get ripped off. ..... I had a good Motor cycle mechanic shop, who were Reasonable, ...  I had made contact with them Individually by my self, .... and watched them. ... But the day they found out that they were relations to my Wife's, Mothers Family .... It cost more !!! ...  Like not less !!! MORE !!! ... Like you can "Just Help the Family" S*** ....

... Stay independent, in business at least, .... bargain, play hard to get ... and it will stay cheap enough, ... probably. .... Well, AND just STAY out of Tourist areas Per-say !!! and Full stop, .... If you do not want to be hassles at the very least, ... and then usually ripped off. ....  Like I think that they honestly think that it is there right to do that !!!

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

My Thai son or his wife insist on knowing the price of every dish before it's ordered, my DIL makes a quick note on a scrap of paper. After the order is completed son or his wife insist on the order being read back and hold their fingers up to keep a dish count as it's being read back.

If son's inlaws are in the party my son politely tells them to tell him what they want, not tell the waiter directly, and tells the waiter he alone will order the food. This even more seriously applied to the midle aged very loud overweight ladyboy in the family who used to order every dish on the menu with no consultation with my son. Twice my son has made him pay for food he ordered.

If extra dishes arrive they are refused. If a more expenive dish is swapped for what's been ordered it's refused.

Son tells everybody we will have one big fish and no further seafood and ensures the waiter hears him. Other dishes ordered are standard fried rice etc. 

Drinks, again price is checked in advance, and son pays cash when any drink (if it'd been ordered) hits the table. If the waitress wants o refuse the instant cash payment my son insists.

Why, he got caught years back, he took his wife and then 1 kid and two alumni friends (both farang) from his studes in Singapore, and me to Jomtien beach. Bill was 6,000+Baht for not all that much food and drinks. When the bill came he inisted twice on an itemized bill, sure enough numerous dishes way in excess of the plates on the table and numerous way way overpriced seafood dishes which weren't ordered and weren't delivered to the table. And from memory 4 extra bottles of beer above the empties still at the table.

After bill was scrutinized it went down to about 2,000Baht. 

Doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Rather a long story to tell us your son checks the bill before paying.

And the description of his alumni from Singapore was not really

relevant to the story at all.

I do hope you all had a splendid time though.

The meat can get pricey.

That's a good reason to stick to veggies. Tho I am a bit surprised of complaint- 8 x 30 baht coconut shakes ????

These prices are lowish for beach side. Sucks to have to buy anything and even more so if paying for children who aren't going to eat it.

But you certainly didn't have to order all that meat. It's not hard to look at a menu or ask prices.

Ha ha ha ha .........

Skinning aliens alive is OK, normal, accepted and cannot be reported to the police BUT once Khon Thai outwits another Khon Thai - BIG NEWS.

Absolutely nothing in this country seems to happen without cheating, lying, stealing and short changing. 

Eat on the beach, expect to pay for the beach. Same thing the world over. Try any beach eating spot on the Riviera. What she got was DIRT CHEAP in comparison.  Her bill would not have covered one dish over there. Stop complaining!

5 minutes ago, mejomini said:

Eat on the beach, expect to pay for the beach. Same thing the world over. Try any beach eating spot on the Riviera. What she got was DIRT CHEAP in comparison.  Her bill would not have covered one dish over there. Stop complaining!

Stop comparing with other countries - this article and its complain is about Thailand which means the comparison should be within Thailand ... :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Hua Hin is the worst place in the world. The entire world. Please don't come here. This is your last warning.

I try to stay away, my wife likes to spend too much in the shops????

Archived