Hua Hin: Sit here for free but please order food - woman complains about beach rip off

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

it appears not only foreigners get scammed 555

But when Thais complain action will be taken.  Same thing happened last year.  Thais complained and the restaurants got their pee pee's spanked.

21 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

They should have known better. Nothing is free not even -no cover charge- as it fronts for what comes next.

Why didn't they ask for a menu.?

I had lunch on the beach with some Thais in Rayong ,atleast we had a table and bench.

Only reason I agreed to eating on the beach was because I wasn't paying. Lol

Bill  for 3 or so basic rice dishes,  a fish plate and a couple of Singhas630 ml bottles 2000 b thereabouts.

Waste of money.

Often no prices on these menus, especially seafood, which sells at daily market prices. If prices are shown they'll be the highest, to cover price fluctuations. Even so, I've found the "beachside premium" way too much for what you get. 

Free means free. If the sign  said " sit here but please order something" then i would  have done so

If me i would  have pointed to the sign saying  free

Then  not order  anything 

As false advertising 

1 hour ago, BigC said:

Free means free. If the sign  said " sit here but please order something" then i would  have done so

As false advertising 

Who would you have lined up to pay your hospital bill?

There are two easy ways to solve these issues.

1. Mr. Prayuth should use his super power of article 44 to make a new law:

Every location, shop, restaurant has to show clear prices for all items, services or products they offer.

2. The embassies from all the nation should make some clear detailed warnings on their homepages about the scam, frauds, dual pricing and cheatings in Thailand. Then people could consider to come or not.

But since the most embassies are only tools to help the rich companies to establish a cheap production location, nothing really will be change.

I see only one way. Put all the scam, frauds, dual pricing and cheating locations in a Google maps review. Over the time people will avoid these locations.  

3 hours ago, BigC said:

As false advertising 

there is no such thing as free.... if it sounds to good to be true,  it is

22 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Mavideol...   I am a cheap charlie?

Yep, if thats what you call it.

There is very little in Thailand worth paying western money for. Local food is terrific except  most seafood.    30 -50 b for A full meal...never had food poisoning. Hookers ,  if you want one,30 dollars, clothes dirt cheap,rent dirt cheap with a/c.,even Buddha statues that farangs pay 800- 5000b for are given away free by temples to regulars who give alms.

Many end up in soi markets...farang are gullible.

If I am defined as a  cheap charlie so be it.

with so much/many "bad" things here, why are u still around....

your quote """ Only reason I agreed to eating on the beach was because I wasn't paying. Lol """ for me that's being a cheap charlie.... but opinions may differ

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Eight people - 2300 Baht - a seafood feast. Not really a rip-off. Bit expensive.

Prawn fried rice. Bt400. For that not to be a rip-off it would want to be one very big plate of food. It's all way over priced. Guess they need the money to pay off the BIB daily visits.????

6 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Often no prices on these menus, especially seafood, which sells at daily market prices. If prices are shown they'll be the highest, to cover price fluctuations. Even so, I've found the "beachside premium" way too much for what you get. 

Hä? I never been in a restaurant that had no prices on the menu ...

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Fried rice, how different can one do this?

Well, out of my mind, about 20 different ways ... but if I rethink a bit more, I most certainly reach about 100 ways of doing it (and cooking is only recreational for me, I'm not a chef)

in such situations, i refuse to pay and tell them to call the police. Never fear even if they intimidate you. They cannot do any s  it.

95 percent of the time, they reduce the amount on the bill. sometime more than half!! sometimes i pay one quarter!

they dont want to deal with police called by farang.

But for Thais, it is different. In Thai culture, no such a thing as bargaining or arguing for a bill as a non confrontational society.

They always pay the bill without much questions and complain after rarely such as in this case.

They should refuse to pay right away and call the police too for such scams.

By the way, Hua Hin became a horrible place in last 5 - 6 years. 10 years before it was a quiet and cheap place.

Now, it is a rip off place with high prices and low service in return. It has a crazy traffic and sometime a kilometer is taking like 30 minutes! bc no u turns.

Also lots of police hassle in Hua hin. It was my favorite place as i live in western bangkok and reaching there was taking like 2 hours with my bike.

Now, i never go there.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Written by someone who knows "the price of everything and the value of nothing".... 

By high-end I was referring to the type of restaurant with similar food a well off Thai Family would go to for a gathering.... i.e. Grand Shangrila restaurant in Sri Thanyia Bangkok where the prices are similar.... 

I agree.. its not the high-end we are familiar with, so admit mistake in this addressing a forum populated by Westerners who with a degree of pedantisicm only consider high-end in Bangkok something like the Mezzaluna or Le Normadie.

Ahhh...you assume wrong....I and my family enjoy eating out once in a while in high end restaurants....of which the "Shangrila" is defintely not...lol

On 4/1/2019 at 10:24 AM, robblok said:

Indeed, foreigners are always moaning that they are targeted but in reality Thais get scammed too. Just need to pay attention here.

Yeah, often a misconception that it is only farang -- the scam everyone -- just the way of life here.

5 hours ago, Galactus said:

By the way, Hua Hin became a horrible place in last 5 - 6 years. 10 years before it was a quiet and cheap place.

Now, it is a rip off place with high prices and low service in return. It has a crazy traffic and sometime a kilometer is taking like 30 minutes! bc no u turns.

Also lots of police hassle in Hua hin. It was my favorite place as i live in western bangkok and reaching there was taking like 2 hours with my bike.

Now, i never go there.

I went there a few years back. Lovely fishing boats in the harbour. Active chess club above the chippy. Good fishing at Wilson's ponds. Very nice railway track (straight and clean). Could see the starfish frolicking in the lovely clear water from the pier.

Sorry to know it has deteriorated Galactus. Probably due to the across bay ferry.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I went there a few years back. Lovely fishing boats in the harbour. Active chess club above the chippy. Good fishing at Wilson's ponds. Very nice railway track (straight and clean). Could see the starfish frolicking in the lovely clear water from the pier.

Sorry to know it has deteriorated Galactus. Probably due to the across bay ferry.

RE - Sorry to know it has deteriorated Galactus. Probably due to the across bay ferry.

... and the hammerhead sharks ... :shock1:

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - Sorry to know it has deteriorated Galactus. Probably due to the across bay ferry.

... and the hammerhead sharks ... :shock1:

Just don't get that one ttrd. Hammerhead sharks??!! 

15 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Sorry, I meant Bull Shark:

Not to worry ttrd; just a shark by another description.

You are probably as dismayed as me and Galactus at the decline of Hua Hin. Didn't the fishing harbour win an award a few years back? Lovely boats. Also the railway stop was in one of those hitchhikers books about 30 years ago. Or was it the other way round?!

I was thinking of visiting Madagascar but plumped for Hua Hin. The wife caught 4 Julian Price carp at Wilson's fishery.

HH-02.jpg.5efc842f514891bc08f77827bc8d221d.jpgHua-hin-01.jpg.a69f741b3a18e0a0b10ee0b24af4107d.jpgHH03.jpg.fb97c4e9c14b02d38db7b7ee591f5f30.jpg 

Looking north from Hua Hin south. Can't make out the station in the above pic but the actual track and embankment are impressive.

I charge people to drive past my house here in Hua Hin. You got a problem with that?

I am inCR this oxygen is doing me in !
Can you recommend somewhere in Hua Hin i could rent for Feb and March next year even Cha am,maybe
I looked online and it cost a pretty penny
Ps i hope u are on the mend with you’re back
I had a bike accident ,so i know how you feel
Regards

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am inCR this oxygen is doing me in !
Can you recommend somewhere in Hua Hin i could rent for Feb and March next year even Cha am,maybe
I looked online and it cost a pretty penny
Ps i hope u are on the mend with you’re back
I had a bike accident ,so i know how you feel
Regards

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Motorbike?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived