Hua Hin: Sit here for free but please order food - woman complains about beach rip off

webfact

30 minutes ago, mejomini said:

Eat on the beach, expect to pay for the beach. Same thing the world over. Try any beach eating spot on the Riviera. What she got was DIRT CHEAP in comparison.  Her bill would not have covered one dish over there. Stop complaining!

What an odd, ill-thoughtout-and rather unintelligent response..... 

"It's expensive in the Riviera" is your justification for it being ok to overcharge someone sat on a plastic chair on the beach in Hua Hun / Cha-am ????

Then I guess you don't mind paying international prices for all your meals and items in Thailand???

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, cranki said:

Those prices on that receipt are not that abnormal, this chick is just a cheap charlie wannabe hiso...

Where on earth did that 'wannabe hiso' comment come from?

No where is there any implication that the girl who complained is trying to be something she is not... she is simply making a complaint on social media that she thinks she was ripped off. 

I think she was ripped off... Charged high end restaurant prices for a beach snacks she was forced into because some of her party wanted to sit down on chairs which are advertised as being free.

20 minutes ago, cranki said:

Those prices on that receipt are not that abnormal, this chick is just a cheap charlie wannabe hiso...

We may assume that the Thais have a bit more knowledge about Thailand's real price level than we have who have been scammed so long time that we are used to a higher price tag ...

If your income was equal to the Thais you would also have reacted. Lets take a coconut smoothie which cost 25thb in the Tamarind Market and 80thb on the beach this means an increase of more than 200% or a seafood salad normally cost 80thb and on the beach 250thb - again more than 200% difference - we as well would have had a reaction if this happened in our country - not more complicated than that ... :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where on earth did that 'wannabe hiso' comment come from?

No where is there any implication that the girl who complained is trying to be something she is not... she is simply making a complaint on social media that she thinks she was ripped off. 

I think she was ripped off... Charged high end restaurant prices for a beach snacks she was forced into because some of her party wanted to sit down on chairs which are advertised as being free.

They are not "high end" restaurant prices....you need to get out more ????

6 minutes ago, ttrd said:

We may assume that the Thais have a bit more knowledge about Thailand's real price level than we have who have been scammed so long time that we are used to a higher price tag ...

If your income was equal to the Thais you would also have reacted. Lets take a coconut smoothie which cost 25thb in the Tamarind Market and 80thb on the beach this means an increase of more than 200% - we as well would have had a reaction if this happened in our country - not more complicated than that ... :thumbsup:

You just said it....tamarind market vs the beach.....

14 minutes ago, cranki said:

You just said it....tamarind market vs the beach.....

I also mentioned more than 200% - 50 to 100% its understandable, but more than 200% in a shitty chair served by a street vendor - we are not talking about a nice terrace with comfortable furniture's overlooking the sea in style - a small but significant difference ... :thumbsup:

This should be understandable with the proviso that you are not connected in one way or another to this kind of fishy business ... :whistling:

7 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

Cha am and Huahin are both complete rip-offs with the food served on the beach. Run mafia style with municipality and police not giving a shit. 

Totally agree is a free-for-all for scammers. They wouldn't know how to be honest if it bit them in the ass

Kinda makes you wonder why more restaurants don't prominently advertise that their tables, chairs, eating utensils and air conditioning are free.

(There's actually a Vietnamese restaurant near my condo in bkk that charges for air-conditioning.) 

15 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Kinda makes you wonder why more restaurants don't prominently advertise that their tables, chairs, eating utensils and air conditioning are free.

(There's actually a Vietnamese restaurant near my condo in bkk that charges for air-conditioning.) 

In Paris you needed to pay for the chair (5 euro) on a outdoor restaurant - so yes, vultures are found everywhere - next time I will demand to have it stated on the bill that I paid for the chair - and then take the chair with me ... :shock1:

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Indeed, foreigners are always moaning that they are targeted but in reality Thais get scammed too. Just need to pay attention here.

These scammers are heartless... money regardless from where, smell just as sweet. Thai holidaymakers included. 

1 hour ago, cranki said:

They are not "high end" restaurant prices....you need to get out more ????

Written by someone who knows "the price of everything and the value of nothing".... 

By high-end I was referring to the type of restaurant with similar food a well off Thai Family would go to for a gathering.... i.e. Grand Shangrila restaurant in Sri Thanyia Bangkok where the prices are similar.... 

I agree.. its not the high-end we are familiar with, so admit mistake in this addressing a forum populated by Westerners who with a degree of pedantisicm only consider high-end in Bangkok something like the Mezzaluna or Le Normadie.

7 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

Cha am and Huahin are both complete rip-offs with the food served on the beach. Run mafia style with municipality and police not giving a shit. 

My missus always read the reviews of Thai customers of any restaurant we want to frequent in case they are scammers.. Thai customers are quite vocal about value for money. I usually read reviews from TripAdvisor whose reviewers are mostly foreigners on holiday here so their ‘price is reasonable’ are somewhat unrealistic in the thai context. Maybe they are comparing prices back home.

5 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Even I know to ask the prices before ordering.

Better to see the prices prior to order as to ask it is a risk for misunderstanding which will appear on the bill later on that will not be beneficial for you ... :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

Well actually the world doesn't revolve around farangs in Thailand. Would have to wonder where they where on the beach. Went with the wife and her mom and sister a few years ago and we made  day of it do not remember the bill being that expensive, but looking at their bill they did order high end food. Ten dollars a piece not bad for sea food in thailand. By the way has anyone ever seen the way Thais go over the bill in a club or restarant, they know they get scammed, they are the majority of the customers here

and I thought TOURISM was based on TOURISTS... from Thailand or farangs

did they not support 10 percent of the Thai economy ?

16 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I recall in a fairly recent crackdown, a direct result of similar complaints that it became illegal to charge for the beach chairs etc.... 

Initially all the beach restaurants were cleared up... chairs, tables, umbrellas were taken away etc until an agreement was made.... Restaurants could place Chairs, tables & Umbrellas in certain areas only if they were free for beach goers.... who 'may' choose to order something... 

Its obvious that those with a sense of entitlement will just carry on... and charge for use of the chairs in other ways.... which of the most part seems ok for many, having a snack and paying for a snack... But... as always, someone is trying to rip someone else off... unfortunately par for the course and quite normal.

3 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Even I know to ask the prices before ordering.

Once you ask the prices, they would quote you a reasonable price but immediately the fresh king prawns intended for your fried rice would be substituted by frozen shrimps. Once they have you as a mark, they will have their scam one way or another. 

Looking at the picture and the bill: nice glass of iced coconut frappe at 80THB a glass, huge plate of battered prawns for 250THB a plate, huge plate of fried rice with shrimps at 200THB a plate, coke likely a large bottle 60THB ... I am still trying to see which part of this bill is a scam

10 minutes ago, chakatee said:

Looking at the picture and the bill: nice glass of iced coconut frappe at 80THB a glass, huge plate of battered prawns for 250THB a plate, huge plate of fried rice with shrimps at 200THB a plate, coke likely a large bottle 60THB ... I am still trying to see which part of this bill is a scam

Some hiso family expect the beachside plebeians to live a frugal life and earn a living wage and definately not a flourishing business enterprise ? 

38 minutes ago, chakatee said:

Maybe try to figure out how much you have been scammed for during the years:

Coc frappe - ordinary price 25thb vs 80thb - a difference of more than 200%

Seafood salat - ordinary price 80thb vs 250thb - a difference of more than 200%

Ice cubes - ordinary price 20thb vs 60thb - a difference of 200%

"Huge" plate of prawns - ordinary price 120thb vs 250thb for a "small" plate on the beach - a difference of more than 100%

The rest is not that bad as it range between 50 - 100% which is understandable beach side at least on a stylish restaurant. It would not break the bank for the most of us foreigners, but that is not the point as right should be right and for the Thais in general this kind of overpricing make a huge difference as it would have done for us in our home country ...

So YES - the complaint is justified ... :thumbsup:

Eating at beachside restaurant in touristy areas especially hua hin which is a more upmarket beach area than say.. rayong, chantaburi, cha am, ban krut, khanom is definately more expensive. I have been eating at beachside ‘restaurant’ between rayong and ban phe regularly for many years  and never once was I being scammed with an out of the ordinary bill. 

Another point... 

In the photo on the first page the girl looks 'well to do'... i.e. quite middle class (if you can tell such a thing by looks alone).... Thai's consider each other fair game for a rip off especially if they look as if they can afford it.

I recall my Wife asking for a quote for a speed boat to Koh Samet... she came back to me with the price, the girl at the counter had charged her an elevated price. 

I went back alone and asked for a boat to Koh Samet and received a resemble price.

It was about 10 years ago, but I recall the difference being something like 1800 baht down to 1200 baht..... 

9 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Eating at beachside restaurant in touristy areas especially hua hin which is a more upmarket beach area than say.. rayong, chantaburi, cha am, ban krut, khanom is definately more expensive. I have been eating at beachside ‘restaurant’ between rayong and ban phe regularly for many years  and never once was I being scammed with an out of the ordinary bill. 

Yes, that's my experience as well ... :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, robblok said:

True, not really a scam, just overpriced food. But you can call it a scam. I would not order a thing without looking on a menu first but I am a cheap Dutch guy ????

hey, going dutch is my favorite expression and habit,

your culture is gold

12 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

They should have known better. Nothing is free not even -no cover charge- as it fronts for what comes next.

Why didn't they ask for a menu.?

I had lunch on the beach with some Thais in Rayong ,atleast we had a table and bench.

Only reason I agreed to eating on the beach was because I wasn't paying. Lol

Bill  for 3 or so basic rice dishes,  a fish plate and a couple of Singhas630 ml bottles 2000 b thereabouts.

Waste of money.

Sounds about reasonable to me. I've been to places far more expensive but, like you, I  wasn't paying. 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

there appeared to be eight in the family. . 

But they were taking up eight chairs and the staff told them they had to order more. 

They ordered four plates and drinks but eight plates of food arrived. 

They were shocked when the bill arrived for 2,300 baht. 

8 in the family

8 plates of food.

2,300thb.

What did they want to do, sit down on the chairs and chomp on a 7-11 footlong. 

13 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

They should have known better. Nothing is free not even -no cover charge- as it fronts for what comes next.

Why didn't they ask for a menu.?

I had lunch on the beach with some Thais in Rayong ,atleast we had a table and bench.

Only reason I agreed to eating on the beach was because I wasn't paying. Lol

Bill  for 3 or so basic rice dishes,  a fish plate and a couple of Singhas630 ml bottles 2000 b thereabouts.

Waste of money.

The prices are off by a factor of 10 ... no idea why you don't consider that an overcharge.

Obviously sitting at a restaurant table at a beach is stupid ... I assumed they where sitting somewhere at a beach in a sun chair.

Archived