Thai Police Boss Vows To Wipe Out Pattaya's Mafia Gangs

george

Thailand's top policeman vows to wipe out Pattaya's mafia gangs

PATTAYA: -- Thailand's acting police chief on Saturday vowed to wipe out mafia gangs operating in Pattaya beach resort in the aftermath of the brutal slaying of two Russian tourists.

'It's about time for me to wipe out mafia gangs operating in Pattaya because they've created a lot of problems for tourists in the past,' said Acting Police Chief Seripisut Temiyaves while on an inspection tour of the somewhat notorious resort over the weekend, as reported by the state-owned Thai News Agency (TNA).

Last Saturday a gunman shot dead Russian tourists Tatiana Tsimfer, 30, and Liubov Svirkova, 25, as they sat in deckchairs on Jomtien beach, adjacent to Pattaya, awaiting the sunrise.

Although police on Thursday night arrested a prime suspect in the murder, Anuchit Lamlert, 24, a Thai national with a long cirminal record, Police General Seripisut is still skeptical about the suspect's motive in the dual slaying.

Anuchit confessed to killing the two women in what he claimed was a botched robbery. But nothing was stolen from the Russians whom Anuchit pumped ten bullets into with a Chinese pistol.

Police suspect someone hired Anuchit to kill the two women, with suspicions falling on Russian mafia types working in the resort and their Thai girlfriends.

Pattaya, best known for its booming sex industry, has attracted criminal types from all over the world during its three-four decades as Thailand's most popular beach resort. The foreign gangs tend to prey on their own nationals, with Russians being the latest newcomers to the resort.

Russians were the most popular market for Pattaya last year, when an estimated 4 million foreigners visited the resort, situated 105 kilometres southeast of Bangkok.

The Pattaya police force is notorious for ignoring the criminal activities of these foreign gangs, as long as Thais are not affected.

'There's a need to lay out preventive measures aimed at protecting lives and property of the people and tourists. I'll personally restructure police suppression measures if they fail to restore order in the area,' said Seripisut, known as Thailand's 'Mr Clean' in the police force. Seirpisut was appointed acting police chief less than two months ago.

--DPA 2007-03-03

George and Thaivisa

Seems you got a permanent seat on this forum, leaves us to wonder what else George is up to if he does not write about Thai daily events

in this Forum.

No offence but the same news can be read in bangkokpost.net, and nationmultimedia.com.

Then again since 1987 is a long time, i can only look at Thaiaffairs hence 1976.

Just a thought, the name George pops up whenever I open the Forum.

Cheers

George and Thaivisa

Seems you got a permanent seat on this forum, leaves us to wonder what else George is up to if he does not write about Thai daily events

in this Forum.

No offence but the same news can be read in bangkokpost.net, and nationmultimedia.com.

Then again since 1987 is a long time, i can only look at Thaiaffairs hence 1976.

Cheers

.............and the men in white coats will be along momentarily

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

Doesn't "George" own TV?

RAZZ

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

be gentle with the 2-posters now

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

I like reading the news here to get extra input from the locals, not restrained by laws of the local media, etc.

For example, who is Tony? I'm not talking about the Tony of Tony's disco, Tony's gym, etc.

I'm talking about the mafia Tony, walks around wearing gold and diamonds. Who is he?

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.He does not write the stories -- he pastes them quoting the source

and it will continue to do so

Cheers

Enough said. Keep up the good work George.

On topic. The effects of the Bosses police resuffle are being felt up here. Don't know where our new Police Chief came from but they can have him back. I'd guess he from his actions to date he had spent quite some time in 'Bar Scene' locations.

So the police boss is going to wipe out the police?

Doesn't make sense to bite the hand that feeds you.

I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

:D:o

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

eerrrrr maybe because its his forum. :D

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

It's his raison d'etre!!

No George would most likely mean no forum!!

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

Well at least you understood what the OP was trying to say. I read it 3 times and I still couldnt work it out :D

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

Well at least you understood what the OP was trying to say. I read it 3 times and I still couldnt work it out :D

by next month nothing will have been done as usual in 12 years in thailand i heard some great thing but never hear of the out come kind of reminds me of blighty :D

• 2 weeks later...

George and Thaivisa

in this Forum.

Cheers

by next month nothing will have been done as usual in 12 years in thailand i heard some great thing but never hear of the out come kind of reminds me of blighty :D

Tis new Top Cop had better be careful or he will end up like those Russian birds......

The police in Pattaya can talk the talk, but they sure can't walk the walk.

Wave a fistful of grey notes in front of any Thai, no matter what position he's in, and he'll change his tune pronto. They just can't help themselves.

Corruption is a way of life here and it goes right to the top. What makes you think it will change?

well I've become aware of the Thai attitude, lame as it is - if we wheren't here it wouldn't have happened, when are they going to realise that we put food in their mouths, perhaps the biggest mafia they need to sort out don't have pale skin

well it's our fault so we better leave

The police in Pattaya can talk the talk, but they sure can't walk the walk.

Wave a fistful of grey notes in front of any Thai, no matter what position he's in, and he'll change his tune pronto. They just can't help themselves.

Corruption is a way of life here and it goes right to the top. What makes you think it will change?

According to the Bangkok Post Thailand is now the second most corrupt country in asia.

According to the Bangkok Post Thailand is now the second most corrupt country in asia.

I'm pretty sure that perception survey was done way before Seripisuth was appointed the police chief. So how did it have anything do with what Seripisuth is determined to do now? :o

Oh I'm sure they'll haul out some hapless barkeeps caught passing beers to their mates without a work permit. Add onto that a handfull of shady visa overstay characters and they'll have the making of a double page spread full of pics of smiling, backslapping policemen. Then some stuffed shirt will get up a city hall and proudly proclaim that Pattaya is now free from foriegn mafia gangs (cue more pics of grinning idiots).

Then it's back to the normal humdrum duties of collecting backshish.

The only permanent thing in life is change.

The only changeable thing in the Thai police is the name of the guy collecting your generous donations.

is there any truth in the story that from sometime end of this March, Russians will get 30-day permit to stay on arrival versus the current 2-week visa limit?

if so, it would seem that Thai immigration aren't helping the MIB wipeout the foreign mafia (that doesn't exist?)