different strokes for different folks

11 hours ago, jbob said:

next you will be telling us all how juvenile songkran is and how back in my day it wasn't called classic music and the 90s were only 10 years ago...

Pattaya is run almost entirely on 50yo, beer loving, overweight, single (enough) men and it has been that way the entire time I have known it. Take a walk along Soi Buakhao during the day and guess which bar we call "old man bar" (Hint: it's all of them).

You think the south is good I'll do you one better, go on a really long cruise or "God's waiting room" as it's also known

You've cheered me up. Well at least I think you have? Was this tongue in cheek or tongue in other cheek?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

there is a saying the grass is always greener on the other side 

we all have choices I made mine to retire here 

everything so far working out okay don't drink to much enjoy the Thai  food people 

and culture

Immigration so far no major problems  can be a bit of a headache in some cases like the 90 day reporting 

comes round before you it

as mentioned already  you always have a choice 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Too long for me to read all the OP but I get the "jist"....somehow it comes across like some I read before it....like the author is really trying to convince themselves (not others) that they are doing the best thing.

Again I am reminded of those wise words..."We see things the way We are....not the way They are".

I have been living here 19 years. Started with the 800,000 Bt. in the bank way and am still doing it that way. I gave up the booze one year before moving here and have had a life beyond my wildest dreams for the past 19 years in Thailand?

Nothing noticeable has changed for me over my time here?

Agreed, OP sounds a bit of a wuz, fifty-something and hasn't yet learnt that it isn't the amount of money but how you make it work for you and not against you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thank you for your posting...good advice...but you already know how the petite Thai women can get into a man's head...then his bank account.  Lived here off and on for years...it does seem to be a less desirable place to live each time I come back...

I keep asking myself...where else can I get som tom made to order daily?... ????

is "som tom"  really some secret term for what we all know you are coming back for ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Plus the opportunity to watch your home country implode under Brexit for your daily dose of smugness !! 

I am a Aussie. Plenty of Sunshine, clean, non Non N95 smog filled air and I don’t have to be smug as I can at anytime go home to the lucky country. Some people don’t have that choice and as I found out, if you live somewhere long enough, you believe it after a while and that for certain is a bubble you live in. 

• Like 1

Great post! Only been in-country for 8 years but I sense a lot of similarities. Think there will be a mass exodus of Biblical proportions soon if the current environment continues (and likely worsens). I know it's definitely on my mind more and more. Spain and Portugal...excellent choices IMHO! Bon voyage...and best wishes in your post-Thailand adventures!

• Like 1

Good read, but yet another one leaving. This week two long termers I know are going, that makes seven this year already. All are reasonably financially secure but all say the same, feel unwanted, too much hassle, re entries, TMs 90 days, etc....also have stated dont feel safe as before, worry about driving anywhere because of machete weilding thugs. Like op two are off back to Europe, others SE Asia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Moan  moan moan - after getting up when I felt like it today and a couple of hours by the pool eating breakfast in the cool breeze - me and the Mrs will be heading off to the beach for lunch (a beach we will virtually have to ourselves)

Spend the afternoon, listening to some tunes, bit of swimming, few cold beers and debate where of the hundreds of restaurants around us we should eat tonight!

Tomorrow we will go and watch the nets get brought in and pluck a kilo of near foot long prawns from the catch and take home to cook ourselves. No river or farmed crap!

Rinse and repeat

Not forgetting of course to log on to TVF forum just to remind myself how great my life is ! No need for millionaire status just a positive outlook and embracing what's good. Lifes minor irritations are just that, minor and happen in EVERY country - personally far more in the UK than here. Immigration is minor, cancer is major, keep things in perspective.

Life is sweet if you want it to be so.

Flip side is, you could be attacked for sitting on the beach near a vendor, on the way home are attacked again for no reason other than you turned right, decide to stay at a hotel and next 90 day get fined for not re reporting yourself.....can be good but can be bad also. Enjoy your seafood and tinted glasses.

• Like 2