Driving at night on red number plates?

k.kevin

You're supposed to fill the book when crossing to other provinces, driving at night etc. Nobody bothers, we had a book that's completely empty and AFAIK it travels with the plates, which were banged up BKK plates while we were driving in Chonburi. Of course if the BiB needs a topup to the petty cash, you might be hit with.. 400b or something?

alright so this might just be a conspiracy theory but sounds true

when you get real red plates you are supposed to get a brown book where you can write where you go so no problems going out of province

possibly problems if driving at night (yes, stupid)

as far as I know, the red plates should be real plates with a seal on it.

if you get red piece of plastic and no book, those are NOT real red plates.

I was told by someone who should know.. that the dealerships take your money and then hold it as long as possible without paying for the blue book to the company for several months to make interest on your cash at the bank.

eventually after 2-3 months they pay, they get the blue book and the plates come a week later.

don't believe me?

I bought 2 new vehicles here. the first one they gave me fake plates and no brown book

I went to the police station and asked them if it was legal to drive with this fake plastic printed. they were absolutely useless and I got nowhere and left frustrated. they can't even answer a simple question.

3 months later the dealership they called me and I got my white plates

I sold that vehicle

then the next time I went to buy another vehicle I told them I needed to go out of the province and didn't want to be fined.. they said "no problem! no problem!" - yeah. no problem (for you?)

so almost every day I would go to the dealership and ask them about the plates and being very annoying and persistent, asking people to call for me when i couldn't show up.

you know what? I had my white plates within 1 week of starting to be annoying.

coincidence?

Edited by kekalot

Which dealership is keeping you waiting for something which can be done by yourself in one working day? 
Asking as I am in the process of buying possibly a Toyota and I will certainly not wait that long; thank you! 

On 4/4/2019 at 2:23 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Red plates don't cost the dealer anything since they are reusable for the next sucker 

The dealer does have to buy the red plates and matching rego book and that's why.

1... Most dealerships ask for a refundable deposit of 5000 baht (cost of buying new red plates and rego book if a buyer keeps or loses them), and

2... Most dealerships only have a limited number of red plates and some can 'run out' if their sales exceed the speed of the local registration office.

However, over and above all this, many dealers do just sit on the cash thus prolonging the registration procedure. This can be either the salesman pulling a fast one (my experience) or, poor management or supervision of the dealership by the owner of the dealership (nothing to do with the car manufacturer BTW).

On 4/4/2019 at 2:23 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Demand the Green book and do it yourself in a couple of hours, at most 

It's a blue book for cars and pickups (green for 2-wheelers). If the owner has paid cash, then he is entitled to take the salesman by the scruff of the neck, all go to the local LTO and get the plates. If the vehicle is on finance, then it can get a bit more protracted as the finance company will have the blue book.

If the owner does already have the blue book, then DIY is the way to go.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:42 AM, LennyW said:

Provided you complete the journey book that accompanies legitimate red plates then you can drive wherever you want. 

...except out of the province of the red-plates stated registration and between 6 PM and 6 AM.

Yes, yes, I know that you and many others have done 'thousands of miles' of driving 'all over the country' at 'all hours of the day and night' and 'never had a problem'.

But that's just you (and many others) whereas I (and many others) have been arbitrarily stopped and fined. I think that the following applies.

YMMV

On 4/4/2019 at 3:06 AM, Henryford said:

I see loads of cars with red plates driving at night in Pattaya. Can't be a problem.

True. Driving with red plates anywhere at night in itself is not a problem.

However, when an indolent traffic cops decides that it is a problem, typically that's when it becomes YOUR problem.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:48 AM, jkcjag said:

I read recently (first link below) that the origin of the red plate was in the early days of cars becoming available in Thailand. It was considered that since initially all drivers were new drivers they should be restricted to driving in familiar territory and in daylight only, allowing them to gain some experience before driving too far away from home or at night.

Some interesting links:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-new-vehicles-in-Thailand-have-red-license-plates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Thailand

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2008/08/thailands-rules-regulations-laws/

You are suggesting that once upon a time, the Thai vehicle licensing authorities actively pursued some sort of proactive health and safety initiative?

April 1st was last week.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:09 AM, Vacuum said:

....or not hand over any cash until the vehicle have white plates. This should speed up the procedure to get the white plates.

...or slow down getting the car keys in your hand.

Choices, choices...

On 4/4/2019 at 11:10 AM, dpcjsr said:

It was clearly a money maker for the police as they pulled over every car with red plates.

Dissatisfied with police men enforcing the law... I see.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:10 AM, dpcjsr said:

Four months after buying the car and still no permanent plates!

3 out of 10

Must try (and do something for yourself) harder.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Minimum fine of 7000 baht and/or impounding of the vehicle.

Never happened to my lady in three years. The plates were under the back seat!

On 4/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Correct and is a scam by the dealers to get the plate fee from you at the sale but keep the money and jerk you around for them.  Red plates don't cost the dealer anything since they are reusable for the next sucker 

Demand the Green book and do it yourself in a couple of hours, at most  

I have bought four new cars over the last few years and the money paid to the dealers was only a deposit which was refunded when the official plates arrived.

Have never been fined, scammed or jerked around.

• Like 1