Mortgage loan for Thai person with bad credit

My sister in law is a Thai graduate, 26 years old, with a steady office job (30k+ salary) but she has bad credit. She ran up 350k baht on credit card bills and had to go to court to make a financial arrangement. She has to pay back the creditors a nominal sum of about 1k a month. 

How likely is it that a Thai bank or mortgage provider would give her a loan to buy a condo? What kind of deposit would she need if they did? 

If the answer is no, how long after paying back the debt would it be before a bank would consider lending to her again?

Obviously, my personal opinion is that she should live within her means and work her ar*e off to pay back the debt while building up a lump sum to buy a place. 

But I want to know about the reality of her situation and the Thai financial institution's view on her dent and credit score. Do they make loans to Thais with court records of bad debt? Is she screwed and for how long?

Any experience people have with this would be interesting. 

Thanks

you can get a credit report for a nominal sum.  You can even do it online, if you are a Krungsri customer.  1000 per month won't even pay the interest on 350,000 at 4%.  My suggestion would be to buy a townhouse that is a train wreck in a promising location for cash.  Teach her the real way to build wealth from the inside out.

She's got a bad credit rating AND a large outstanding loan. She wants to borrow money for a house and secure the loan by way of a mortgage. Is that a fair summary?  In other countries the assessment is going to be based in the first instance on the bank's assessment of her ability to repay both amounts after deduction of her living expenses.  They'll also look at her credit rating to understand her history of indebtedness and repayments.  Repossessing the security (real estate) for non-payment is no trivial matter. If you want an educated guess - not a snowflake's chance in hell. But TIT and they maybe do things differently here

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

But I want to know about the reality of her situation and the Thai financial institution's view on her dent and credit score. Do they make loans to Thais with court records of bad debt? Is she screwed and for how long?

In all probability she can get a loan 5 years after she has paid off her current debt.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In all probability she can get a loan 5 years after she has paid off her current debt.

At 12,000 baht a year plus interest it will be a heck of a long time.. She will be in her late 50's.

• Like 2

I understand there is in Thailand central register keeping a record of all people with a bad credit record.

When my Thai wife discussed with a finance company about the credit terms to buy car, she told the representative of the finance company that he could check her name in this central register...but this guy said that even doing a check already makes the targeted person suspicious...

• Thanks 1

If she earns an okay wage, why isn't she paying more off the debt she already owes?

I have no idea about her ability to purchase a house and secure a loan, but for mine, she ran up those credit card debts, she should pay them off and that should be her priority. 

• Thanks 1

No matter what the outcome with the bank, my humble advice would be even if anybody tries to pressure you,  don't give her a penny.

Or if you must, give her only what you fully expect to loose and never get back. Good Luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, marin said:

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

At 12,000 baht a year plus interest it will be a heck of a long time.. She will be in her late 50's.

Then she needs to understand that instead of paying 3.3% of her income and trying to get more debt she should be paying 10% ~ 20%. At her age I already had a mortgage that was costing me about 30% of my income.

Alternatively if she is good looking, cleaver, can learn a foreign language, can ignore age and is a good actresses she can try to find a stupid walking ATM.????

• Haha 1

Although this is not a direct response to your question, reading between the lines it sounds as if you are thinking about; or, someone has already pushed you into getting involved.  You are going to be a lot better off staying as far away from that situation as you can. If you don't you'll not only be roped into assuming that previous debt; but, you'll be buying her a house as well.  You will not get a dime back from your "investment" either.  Fair warning.

• Like 2

Had a brother-in-law/ ex BIL, mechanical engineer, making over a 100,000 a month. Several years ago, not sure how long. He owed a debt of just 30,000 Bath. Refuses to pay, just hard headed. Last year his daughter/my niece was looking at buying a house and asked if he could go on part of the note with her. She got approved for 8 mil, needed 3 mil more after down payment. The bank said no way. As long as that money was owed. Told if he paid maybe in two years, he could look at buying something. Can’t even get a car loan in his name.

So I would say she stands no chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

No matter what the outcome with the bank, my humble advice would be even if anybody tries to pressure you,  don't give her a penny.

Or if you must, give her only what you fully expect to loose and never get back. Good Luck.

No chance of her getting a penny out of me or having my wife / or myself put our names to a loan for her. 

I'm guessing the bank would look at it on paper and feel the same.  Even without knowing her personality - typical young Thai wanting to spend, spend spend and party like the celebrities on Instagram.

• Like 1