Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

Websites for apartment condo rent and sale.

Thb = 0.6127 for comparison.

Image rent 25.000 peso. 1st link.

https://www.point2homes.com/PH/Apartments-For-Rent.html

https://www.lamudi.com.ph/condominium/rent/

https://www.property24.com.ph/condominiums-for-rent

https://www.dotproperty.com.ph/condos-for-rent

https://m.locanto.ph/m/Apartments-for-Rent/301/

wm_large-1.jpg

wm_large.jpg

Edited by ExpatPH

11 hours ago, stravers said:

In your opinion, how to Filipinos feel about foreigners learning to speak Tagalog?

I speak fluent Thai and the majority of Thais don't respect me for knowing too much. 

They are pleasantly impressed and you will be respected.  They like it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Filipinos mindset and culture.

Filipinos are in general very gentle and shy people.

Good decent behavior and polite is their #1,

explains why all talk to eachother with sir / mam.

Friendliness are their #2, explains why so many expats replied HSBC survey so positive about the people, the people.

Patience are their #3, never seen any loose their temper in public, and its totally not acceptable in their culture.

Observe their dating rituale is interesting. The men are so gentlemen and sweet to the lady. The lady is first very shy, but warm up after few dates. They frown up on rude and naughty talk, all in due time. If a man make sexual advanced to a lady, she instantly shut him down. Seems they strictly follow 'its a place and time for everything', but sure not in public.

When already in relationship, most ladies are very klingy, always have her hand arm latched on to their man. Most men do the same, and the man usually carry her small handbag and other, even its not heavy. They are excellent to demonstrate care for their partner.

Now, if they get upset, angry or mad, the asian tiger come out. Not in fights, but bad words, foul language or threats.

Greeting older is a big thing here, no handshake, no waiwe. Younger move toward older and take their right hand and pull it towards their forehead. Thats a traditional greeting. Observed everywhere in public and private. 

Young ladies greet eachother with a hug.

Young men greet eachother with a high five.

Filipinos seem insecure towards foreigners, or maybe shy or humble. If the foreigner follow their culture and not behave superior, its easy to make friends, or more than that.

Talk to them with sir / mam, speak with a smile in a first light conversation. Never invite a lady to your place on first or second date. They will feel you're pushy, and they will withdraw. All in due time.

Filipinos love to laugh, and people with good sense of humor are highly appreciated.

Looks and apperance matters. They dress up in their finest, when going to a shopping center  or any social event. While at home they change to casual clothings.

In traffic they drive slowly, love to honk their signal horn, have no sense of traffic understanding, so they all drive into a roundabout to a total standstill. Young men on motorbikes very seldom racing in the streets, but they love to change their muffler to loud, louder. 

Their culture remind you about the 70's, a time when people still was courteous, and had time for eachother.

Overall after a first visit to Philippines, what all tourists remember is Filipinos soft, shy, friendly and welcoming attitude to foreigners. Service with a genuine smile.

Regards

ExpatPH

This describes a soft spoken, civilised and a fundamentally pacifistic society. I am thrilled. This is how people interacted in the 1950ties in my home-country!

But something doesn't match:
- Why does this docile/friendly society need armed security guards at every mom and pop grocery store and everywhere else?
There is a contradiction somewhere. Please elaborate as I am not capable of connecting those opposing "facts of life" in the Philippines.
"Poverty" alone could not explain it as there are a number of "poor-countries", where places of business can well do without armed security-guards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swissie said:

This describes a soft spoken, civilised and a fundamentally pacifistic society. I am thrilled. This is how people interacted in the 1950ties in my home-country!

- Why does this docile/friendly society need armed security guards at every mom and pop grocery store and everywhere else?
There is a contradiction somewhere. Please elaborate as I am not capable of connecting those opposing "facts of life" in the Philippines.
"Poverty" alone could not explain it as there are a number of "poor-countries", where places of business can well do without armed security-guards.

1.Maybe because not 100% of their population have only good intentions?

2.Shop owners probably think that guards are cheaper then alarm systems and CCTV like we have in our countries.

3.There are rarely police patrols outside so shops get their own security.

The fact that a mall has dozens of guards all armed with guns etc and inspecting each visitor their bags for weapons makes me feel more secure then if everyone just gets to walk in and or drives in the parking of a mall unchecked.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greetings ExpatPH

I just wanted to thank you also for such a well written and informative thread on expat life the Philippines.  I have been following it closely and have learned a lot and enjoyed it tremendously.  You have answered many of my questions regarding the P.I. and I look forward to more new content from you whenever you have the time.

The Philippines is definitely on my plan B list and I hope to go for a holiday there someday soon.

I am sorry to hear about your current health situation but I wish you all the best .... it sounds like you've had a great life experience here on this planet and I hope your next experience is even better.

Aloha and Mahalo!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, swissie said:

One way of looking at things. I only know that if at every 7/11 in Thailand armed guards would be checking the bags of every customer at the entrance, the "tourist-industry" would collapse and every embassy would issue urgent "travel-advisories".
Not implying anything. But the liberal-visa Regs and the lack of digitalised inter-continental data-exchange concerning visitors, can make the Philippines an attractive destination for "Visitors" that prefer to keep a "low profile".
Again, not implying anything and certainly not generalizing Expats in the Philippines.
But I know for sure: The day a armed guard would want to check my bags at the nearest 7/11 in Thailand, I would find myself at the Airport the very next day.

Surely: Once the Philippines advance from a 4th world country to a 3rd world country, it would mean the end of the liberal Visa-Regs.
And then what? Re-Locating to Eastern Timbuktu?
Cheers.

First of all only at big malls ur bag will be briefly checked that takes abt 3 seconds. So not at any small shop like a 7/11 in a public street.

Immegration in phills does check things like do prints, picture, adress and if ur name is on some criminal watch list but they dont care ur exact whereabouts 24/7 so if u travel from Manila to Subic than u don’t need to do a 24 hours notification at next immigration office. if u enjoy doing that and submitting photos of u and ur wife in ur bedroom for immigration purposes than by all means stay in Thailand..

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fyi i dont give a flying toss where anyone prefers to stay Thailand Phillipines Spain etc  its all fine with me and there are no perfect cities and countries. For me usually after a while i get bored with a country and or a city and then its time to relocate  for me. I know these 2 Countries fairly well then i have to balance things out when people start to make up incorrect stories themselves   or post wrong info about Thailand or Philippines.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Greetings ExpatPH

I just wanted to thank you also for such a well written and informative thread on expat life the Philippines.  I have been following it closely and have learned a lot and enjoyed it tremendously.  You have answered many of my questions regarding the P.I. and I look forward to more new content from you whenever you have the time.

The Philippines is definitely on my plan B list and I hope to go for a holiday there someday soon.

I am sorry to hear about your current health situation but I wish you all the best .... it sounds like you've had a great life experience here on this planet and I hope your next experience is even better.

Aloha and Mahalo!

Greetings MeePeeMai. Thanks for your kind words and best wishes, highly appreciated.

My health is my own fault, can't smoke 400.000 sigarettes without consequences. Had fantastic years in Thailand before, many good memories from my first visit in the 80s, and moved there late 90s, a totally different place then. Had a incredible time, that I will never forget.

As this thread continue, I would like to know what you all wonder about, not already mentioned here?

Questions?

5 hours ago, swissie said:

One way of looking at things. I only know that if at every 7/11 in Thailand armed guards would be checking the bags of every customer at the entrance, the "tourist-industry" would collapse and every embassy would issue urgent "travel-advisories".
Not implying anything. But the liberal-visa Regs and the lack of digitalised inter-continental data-exchange concerning visitors, can make the Philippines an attractive destination for "Visitors" that prefer to keep a "low profile".
Again, not implying anything and certainly not generalizing Expats in the Philippines.
But I know for sure: The day a armed guard would want to check my bags at the nearest 7/11 in Thailand, I would find myself at the Airport the very next day.

Surely: Once the Philippines advance from a 4th world country to a 3rd world country, it would mean the end of the liberal Visa-Regs.
And then what? Re-Locating to Eastern Timbuktu?
Cheers.

Maybe and maybe not!  I don't know because my crystal ball is in the shop.  However, looking at facts. We do know there is plenty of crime here in Thailand, ranging from corrupt immigration and taxi cabs ready to shank you, to Russian mafia and hells Angeles biker gangs in Pattaya, etc. etc.  I understand your comments are meant to bring awareness. However, I am now submitting facts to be also considered.   

• Like 1

If you could speak about the self defense laws in the Philippines that would be great. 

I have heard that a (Filipino) husband has the right to kill his wife and her lover if caught in the act (which is kind of shocking to hear coming from a Catholic based society) but if a foreigner was to kill an armed intruder inside his own house, or say cause the unintentional death of someone (while defending his own life) ... would he still (most likely) go to prison?

I am pretty sure that carrying a weapon is illegal for a foreigner there but could you speak a little on the self defense laws within your own home as well as self defense out on the street (as if say you were being robbed or the victim of an unprovoked attack)?

I'm sure you've heard and read plenty of stories over the years.

Thank you kindly for your reply

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Unfortunately expect Philippines may be ahead of the curve in this regard - computer AI is taking a huge bite out of employment in your/our 1st world countries and expect that within the next decade most people will have been replaced, and then what happens?  There likely will be need for guards everywhere. 

In the case of PI now it serves more than guard function - it is employment for a huge number of people who would not have any viable means to survive without that job.  They are very low paid so not hard to justify using them.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, swissie said:

Hi swissie.

Western mindset vs Asian mindset.

Many times difficult or interesting, to understand others culture. Depends of ones outlook of life.

Pacifist peace loving society, mixed with strict dominant catholic church, and accepted norms,

equals Philippines.

Why do they need armed security guards?

Extremist, bombs, extreme powerty many can't comprehend, drug abuse, lack of education, high unemployment rate, living conditions, homeless people, desperation, where do next meal come from, how do I feed my kids ... The reasons are endless.

Security guards are courteous, I don't have a issue with them, nor do I feel the need to worry. 

Immigration and NBI screen tourists, reports on their website. They had a 'bad guys out', going on for years. Many deportations and blacklisting.

Don't assume lack of screening of foreigners, you would be so wrong. People tend to underestimate gov employees.

Have a look at link below!

http://www.immigration.gov.ph

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

If you could speak about the self defense laws in the Philippines that would be great. 

I have heard that a (Filipino) husband has the right to kill his wife and her lover if caught in the act (which is kind of shocking to hear coming from a Catholic based society) but if a foreigner was to kill an armed intruder inside his own house, or say cause the unintentional death of someone (while defending his own life) ... would he still (most likely) go to prison?

Quote.

Art. 247. Death or physical injuries inflicted under exceptional circumstances. — Any legally married person who having surprised his spouse in the act of committing sexual intercourse with another person, shall kill any of them or both of them in the act or immediately thereafter, or shall inflict upon them any serious physical injury, shall suffer the penalty of destierro. chanrobles virtual law library

If he shall inflict upon them physical injuries of any other kind, he shall be exempt from punishment .chanrobles virtual law library

These rules shall be applicable, under the same circumstances, to parents with respect to their daughters under eighteen years of age, and their seducer, while the daughters are living with their parents.chanrobles virtual law library

Any person who shall promote or facilitate the prostitution of his wife or daughter, or shall otherwise have consented to the infidelity of the other spouse shall not be entitled to the benefits of this article.chanrobles virtual law library

Very interesting link regarding law and crime.

http://www.chanrobles.com/revisedpenalcodeofthephilippinesbook2.htm#.XK_y4ffmjZE

http://www.chanrobles.com/revisedpenalcodeofthephilippinesbook1.htm#.XK_0mPfmjZE

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

if a foreigner was to kill an armed intruder inside his own house, or say cause the unintentional death of someone (while defending his own life) ... would he still (most likely) go to prison?

Home invasion is a issue here. Explains why majority of expats prefer condo living.

Expats who built a home also built a 10 feet concrete wall around their property. Most hire helpers, live in male driver / gardener, live in female housekeeper. In province one can hire helpers for as low as 3.000 peso per month. Also 1 or more dogs that would warn about intruders.

In case of home invasion, male driver would be the first who use a gun against robbers. Girlfriend wife would be second. Since foreigners are not allowed to own or use a weapon, staff would have weapon.

Would a foreigner go to prison, if he used a weapon against forceful home invasion?

Quote from forum:

"It appears we have the right to self defense and defense of our wives as well as our extended families.  The circumstances surrounding the self defense act will be strictly investigated, as can and should be expected.  In this light it appears to be similar to self defense laws in the US as well as many civilized countries.  The burden of proof falls on the person who takes this course of action.  This is understood and accepted.  The law does not give anyone the right to act without proof that the action taken is justified beyond any reasonable doubt.  In other words, if you should severely injure or kill someone who threatened you or your family, you had better have sufficient proof beyond any doubt that the action was necessary in order to prevent injury or death

And:

Bottom line: a foreigner has the right to defend his life and the life of his family.  In a situation where I confront a burglar in my house in the middle of the night, I won't be asking questions.  I'll take action and I'll defend myself to the full extent of my right to life.  But that's my choice.

* I got a warning on the following link, from which above quote came from.

** Click only if you have internet security running.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=27434.15

*** Else trust my copy paste quote.

Safe link about Home security:

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/94800-home-security-advice/?tab=comments#comment-1246753

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeePeeMai said:

if a foreigner was to kill an armed self defense out on the street (as if say you were being robbed or the victim of an unprovoked attack)?

Since many in this thread have compared to Thailand, let me do the same.

While in Thailand I did carry a 'knuckle buster' for my personal protection, only after I once was attacked by a gang.

In Philippines I don't feel the need to carry one. I plan my life around traffic, weather forecast, and safety issues.

If I was held up with gun, I can replace my belongings, but not my life. I already mentioned that I wear shorts and jeans with inner pockets, that's where I place money and valuables.  Robbery on the street are usually over within a minute, not likely they have time to locate my inner pockets. Outside pockets only contain money less than 1.000 peso, let them have it.

If I was to kill a robber on the street, I expect thorough investigation would proof I was without blame (witness) and no further consequences.

That said, I would probably not put myself into that situation.

20190412_112449.jpg

• Like 1

1 more retired expat in Thailand did not get his renewal.

Quote:

Yesterday I was denied what would have been my 9th retirement extension as I have not kept 800k in a Thai bank for the required time.  I accept that I will probably have to return to Australia and start the process again. End quote.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2