Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Great thread, I love the Philippines, big fan of Davao, Tagum, Cebu, Bohol & Coron but not so hot on the likes of Manila / Angeles

Thank you mike, highly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Frankri said:

Hi Expat,

What about the Weather ??

Thanks !

More spesific question please.

Rain.

Downpour.

Flooding.

Storms.

Hurricanes.

Earthquakes.

Manila same Bangkok.

Cebu minus 3, day 31, night 25

Screenshot_20190409-220930_Weather-540x960.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, madmen said:

I know a lot of people and not a single one moved because of being unloved, seriously what sort of idiot would do that? You think they are going to Cambodia for free hugs? Leaving because one is running out of money or health issues makes total sense.

Where did I mention unloved. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, balo said:

I think the murder rate is higher in the PH than other countries in Asia. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

"In 2014, the Philippines has a murder rate of 9.84 per 100,000 people, with a number of 9,784 recorded cases. The country also has the highest rate of murder cases in Southeast Asia in 2013, with a rate of 8.8, followed by Thailand."

Numbers for 2016

Capture.JPG.a2542df138f4779d2199b94c3f3bf293.JPG

A red herring as far as I am concerned. Most people whether in Thailand or the Philippines are concerned are killed by someone they know, usually from the same country/ethnicity. If you are trying to compare death rates add in death on the road and I think Thailand would lead by a significant margin. 

• Like 1

Really appreciate positive feedback, thank you.
I try be balanced and honest. In addition I mentioned a few times our local forums, so people can get other opinions, different from mine. Balanced all the way.
Great Info Expat, I guess the negative people can be ignored as usual.

What is there to do in Cebu for an expat? hobbies? good cycling? good walks? are most just barflys?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Great Info Expat, I guess the negative people can be ignored as usual.

What is there to do in Cebu for an expat? hobbies? good cycling? good walks? are most just barflys?

Most expats are in longterm relationship / married, many with children. Expats are less of barfly type here than in Thailand. City has 2 sportsbars and a few other bars frequented by expats. We mostly meet in shopping centers, while gf wifes doing their things.

Check out these links.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Attractions-g294261-Activities-Cebu_Island_Visayas.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298460-Activities-Cebu_City_Cebu_Island_Visayas.html

https://trekeffect.com/travel-blog/50-must-try-things-cebu

https://www.travelcebu.ph/blog/things-to-do-in-cebu/

https://journalistontherun.com/2017/10/14/things-to-do-in-cebu/

https://www.crazysexyfuntraveler.com/20-things-to-do-in-cebu-city-and-surroundings/

https://www.journeyera.com/things-to-do-cebu-philippines/

Culture chock Thailand vs Philippines.

I should highlight that living in Cebu and many other places, is like stepping back in time 100 years, in a Asian country with strong spanish influx.

Slow pace of life, people not in a rush. People sit down and have long conversations. Many very old buildings, less high rise.

Very different from Thailands modern neon city, where people are so busy.

Regards

ExpatPH

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 1

I'll share a little anecdote from my visit to Cebu. Taking a taxi from Cebu City north to the boat to Bantanyan island (amazing and beautiful) the driver said to me -- you're gonna love it there, the people are very backwards and ignorant, they love ALL white people. He had a point I suppose. Walking around there I was invited inside local village houses to share their incredibly horrible food. Like rice meant for livestock rather than people. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Culture chock Thailand vs Philippines.

I should highlight that living in Cebu and many other places, is like stepping back in time 100 years, in a Asian country with strong spanish influx.

Slow pace of life, people not in a rush. People sit down and have long conversations. Many very old buildings, less high rise.

Very different from Thailands modern neon city, where people are so busy.

Regards

ExpatPH

That is a good point and likely the make/break factor for many.  If you can lay back and not go hyper over delays the chance of liking PI greatly increases.  Would rate (fast/medium/slow) as (Singapore/Thailand/Philippines).  

• Thanks 1

Internet reliability.

Was just cut of 1 hour, I have 1 Wi-Fi and 2 mobile internet connections available. All was down for 1 hour. Im located in city center.

In province before, I was happy if I could load youtube. For online banking, I had to go 1 km from my rented house to find fast enough coverage.

Few years ago in Boracay, my internet speedtest reached 20Mbps+.

Manila area had similar, very depending of area.

If you need faster internet 100-200Mbps to conduct business, trading on the international stock market, Manila can offer lighting fast internet if you willing to pay for it. Can find more about this on website yugatech.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

ke stepping back in time 100 years, in a Asian country with strong spanish influx.

Slow pace of life, people not in a rush. People sit down and have long conversations.

So are you telling us that the locals are not playing with their smart phones in PH like the rest of the world?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, balo said:

So are you telling us that the locals are not playing with their smart phones in PH like the rest of the world?

Nonsense. I never wrote such a thing.

This is what I said and what part you refer to: 

stepping back in time 100 years, in a Asian country with strong spanish influx.

Slow pace of life, people not in a rush. People sit down and have long conversations.

50 minutes ago, balo said:

Thailand wins that hands down also....come on, check out any supermarket or mall....you dont get that in Tesco or Sainsbury in Devon

14 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I've just ordered progressive lenses with designer frames in Angeles at a third of the cost in Pattaya, dental work is saving me a fortune and done properly also...A free holiday in fact with pesos to spare. Great food and  beers at half/third price with genuine smiles and service.....

Others please take note:

Quote: At a third of the price in Pattaya.

Quote: dental work is saving me a fortune.

Quote: Great food and  beers at half/third price with genuine smiles and service.....

Yes, Philippines is overall not that bad.  On the contrary, its better in many comparisons, as baansgr just shared with us.

I assume that Angeles are full by now, with thai expats who escape Songkran (that last 3-9 days depending of location).

Enjoy Angeles, guys.

Edited by ExpatPH

If people misread or put more into others words than what was actually written, I can't help.

If people add by themself, objects or other issues not mentioned in my text, and thereby alter, add on, change or misinterpreted what I actually said,  I can't help.

I can however chose to ignore, in future.

Habal habal is equal to motorbike taxi. No fixed rates, but on short trips where taxi meter cost 100 peso, habal habal should be 70 peso.

In province they accept half of city prices, competition are fierce.

They drive in normal speed, no hard acceleration, and they always carry spare helmet for passenger.

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you can't have 2 or more ladies? might have to cross it off the list

Can. Can have 3 or 4 girlfriends if you like.

Until jealousy gets into the picture.  

Ask the white guy in jail who had a few live-in gf's

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Haha 2