Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

12 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

This is what I can't understand:

With the new rules,

You can't touch 400.000 baht of you own money,

You can't use 400k of your own money!

That's among the reasons there's renewed interest/exploration of alternatives to Thailand such as the Phils, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc....

That new financial restriction you mention for retirement extensions, along with the new financial requirements imposed on Americans, Brits and Aussies for marriage and retirement extensions who can no longer get income affidavits from their embassies to document monthly income to Thai Immigration, and now instead have to make deposits into a Thai bank account every single month. In the past, a person proving monthly income could keep those funds in their home country, if desired, and wasn't required to import all that money into Thailand.

So those are major changes for different segments of the expat community in Thailand -- those using the 800,000 baht bank deposit method to qualify for a retirement extension affected by what you mention, and then Americans, Brits and Aussies on marriage and retirement extension based on monthly income (40K or 65K baht per month, respectively) that now have to prove all those funds coming into a Thai bank account every single month.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

Convert your local driver license to PH driver license. 

Update: you can drive for 3 months on your driver license. License must be in english. If not in english, you need a International driving permit. Carry your passport when driving.

Requirements to apply PH driving license:

1. Passport.

2. ACR-I card.

3. Your driving license.

4. * 1 year of valid visa in your passport.

--

Take medical and drug test.

--

Get temporary paper driving license.

--

Wait for plastic driver license

(3 weeks - 1+ year)

Avis rent a car require a International driving permit. Local rentals don't. Ask for proof of insurance!

Many city LTO require you have a 1 year valid visa.

Province LTO can be easier.

* 1 year valid visa in your passport. How to?

Immigration allow 2 times 6 months extensions,

you can apply for 1st extension one day and

apply for the 2nd extension the next day.

You now have at least 1 year valid visa, as required.

Remember, you need valid ACR-I card to apply for PH driver license.

Regards

ExpatPH

Edited by ExpatPH

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What is that? is that an American thing?

What is an ACR I-Card?

An ACR I-Card is a microchip based, credit card-sized, identification card issued to all registered aliens whose stay in the Philippines has exceeded fifty-nine (59) days.  It also has an embedded computer chip with biometric security features capable of data management and can be updated electronically.

2. Who are required to apply for an ACR I-Card? 

All foreign nationals under immigrant and non-immigrant visas including holders of Temporary Visitor’s Visa, who have stayed for more than fifty nine (59) days in the Philippines.

http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/acr-i-card

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Convert your local driver license to PH driver license. 

Update: you can drive for 3 months on your driver license. License must be in english. If not in english, you need a International driving permit. Carry your passport when driving.

Requirements to apply PH driving license:

1. Passport.

2. ACR-I card.

3. Your driving license.

4. * 1 year of valid visa in your passport.

--

Take medical and drug test.

--

Get temporary paper driving license.

--

Wait for plastic driver license

(3 weeks - 1+ year)

Avis rent a car require a International driving permit. Local rentals don't. Ask for proof of insurance!

Many city LTO require you have a 1 year valid visa.

Province LTO can be easier.

* 1 year valid visa in your passport. How to?

Immigration allow 2 times 6 months extensions,

you can apply for 1st extension one day and

apply for the 2nd extension the next day.

You now have at least 1 year valid visa, as required.

Remember, you need valid ACR-I card to apply for PH driver license.

Regards

ExpatPH

The rentals car company in PH  hold your passport for the rental period ?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Frankri said:

The rentals car company in PH  hold your passport for the rental period ?

Thanks

Dont know, never met 1 expat or tourist who rented a car.

Would guess that Avis don't, while locals do.

Edit: Car with driver is only 2000 - 2500 peso per day here. Thats what most do because you avoid personal problems in case of accident.

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

For younger its boring and blend, lack of the latest trends, tech, fashion, and nightlife.

But even that may not be true for all.  Remember being young and more important for many of us were solid relationships rather than the flash and glitter (that we might use in attempt to find it).  As for boring and bland try watching videos from BecomingFilipino (you don't have to agree with his culinary tastes - but he does provide great video views and information).  

48 minutes ago, Larssonn said:

Not a big writer but more of the reading type and must say .....

absolutely one of the best threads ive read on theese forums .

great job both to the op and the others informative postings .

one thing i feeel missing about ph is about investment ....does ph banks give anything and are there and market for condo rentals ?

i did read about the problems buying but are there agencys sorting all or anyway to make it abit easier and quicker buying condos ?

also is it a safe procedure to buy ?

It feels very good when I receive so nice feedback, so a big thank you, Larssonn.

Can't reply on investment, don't know any who play the local stock market.

I would estimate its 50 new high rise buildings going up at the moment in Cebu, aimed at higher mid class up to luxury.

Will tourist continue to visit Cebu, longstay, and increase in numbers, who knows?

I'm concerned about the previous demise of nightlife in the city. Tourists want to go out at night, and they have limited options these days. Single men used to come here in numbers just for the infamous nightlife. They dont come anymore, they go to Angeles now.

Its oversupply of vacant condos in Cebu. All owners seems to stick to their set rental price, so not much movement on the rental market.

I see new white faces in Cebu but not enough to make condo market move even the slightest.

Influx also of tourist from Japan and Korea who stay for longer time.

Cebu property market lack apartments that can rent out for between 10.000 to 18.000 peso. If I still was to invest in Cebu, that segment would be my one and only aim.

Although never been to Angeles, I feel strongly about its future. With cebu less entertainment area, Angeles do get more tourists. If I was to invest in condo market, Angeles would be my own choice.

To sell a condo here takes considerable time, unless you invested in unique properties.

Unless you been in country 5+ years, don't invest in condo here. You must have feet on the ground and make your own opinion about the market for condo investment.

Rental agents can fix all paperwork, mostly it goes ok but oh so slow. Even money can't fix quick.

It should be safe, within limitations set by laws regarding ownership.

If you don't have extensive time on the ground here, don't take the risk.

• Like 2

Just wondering what these are about ? no pension is a bit steep and all those deposits are permanent

1. With Pension - 50 years old and above - the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.

2. Without Pension

• 35 to 49 years old - US$50,000.00 time deposit
  • 50 years old and above - US$20,000.00 time deposit
  • Former Filipino Citizens (at least 35 years old, regardless of the number of dependents - US$1,500.00)
  • Ambassadors of Foreign Countries who served and retired in the Philippines, current and former staff members of international organizations including ADB (at least 50 years old) - US$1,500.00
Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Although never been to Angeles, I feel strongly about its future. With cebu less entertainment area, Angeles do get more tourists. If I was to invest in condo market, Angeles would be my own choice.

Angeles, like Pattaya, has been trying to remove the open nightlife as Clark is slated to become government hqs for the Philippines in the future and some have already started the move - so push is higher class accommodations and facilities.  Expect Angeles may become family faster than Pattaya but agree for now Angeles is good value with very good options for eating and nightlife and hotels.  Expect Subic area may takeover as the low cost expat choice.  

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

Just wondering what these are about ? no pension is a bit steep and all those deposits are permanent

1. With Pension - 50 years old and above - the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.

2. Without Pension

• Former Filipino Citizens (at least 35 years old, regardless of the number of dependents - US$1,500.00)
  • Ambassadors of Foreign Countries who served and retired in the Philippines, current and former staff members of international organizations including ADB (at least 50 years old) - US$1,500.00

But they are not required - you can stay on tourist visas fine - and most do.  SRRV is an option and for many with service in Philippines or US Military there is only a one time $1,500 cost.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, madmen said:

2. Without Pension

[...]

US$20K seems about the same / somewhat less than 800K baht, and if i translate [time deposit] to [fixed deposit] (12 months, 24 months?) then the interest rate should/probably be >5%, better than having to keep it in a savings/current account. 

On 4/4/2019 at 3:43 PM, Old Croc said:

I'm a little confused about your section on rentals.

Firstly, the prices you quote, in dollars, for what I would consider a dog box, seem very high.

Then you explain that high cost away by stating that you get more pesos for a dollar than you get baht.

I don't understand. Perhaps it's me. 

Hi, just joined this forum.

Living in Asia since 1996 and TH since 2000 and plan to move to PH next year for retirement.

I travel to PH also since 1996 for business.

I can subscribe Expat'sPH explanations, spot on.

Looking forward to more to come!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stravers said:

This is a terrific thread. Thanks for starting and maintaining it with new and interesting content.

I lived in Thai for 15 years from the age of 30 (I work online). As I am under 50, I would just get back to back education visas ($1kUSD/year). Like other visas, the goal posts changed frequently. I speak fluent Thai which enabled me to meet your average 9-5 working Thais. The bar girls never entered my life for most of my 15 years. I always figured it would be more fun and easier to meet the majority, than the minority (bar girls). 

A few years ago, I began souring on Thai (even with the delicious food and bum gun). What I heard and saw from locals, frequent assaults on YouTube, and from govt, made me think I was unwanted and I was bored and fed up with it all. 

I felt I had painted myself into a corner but where was the best alternative? Plan B was either going to be Vietnam (very likeable), Indonesia, or Phils. I like the other countries too but don't feel like learning a new language.

I'm caring for my parents now in Canada and planning my next move in Asia. 

Hi stravers I appeciate more joining this thread, and positive feedback.

Would tested out Vietnam if I was single, and in your age. Seen many good reviews on Youtube about Vietnam, with brand new furnished apartments with everything one could need, for only 300$, large tv and fast internet. Outdoor reminded me somehow of BKK and the girls too.

Language barrier would be a issue, still one reviewer said 'that wasn't a big problem', another complained that he used google translate, still didnt get his correct meal. Part of city is modern highrise with large parks .

"Plan B was either going to be Vietnam (very likeable), Indonesia, or Phils."

You have a good list and ranking there imo.

Intend to continue this thread with new and interesting content, but need good questions from you readers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eberhard said:

Hi, just joined this forum.

Living in Asia since 1996 and TH since 2000 and plan to move to PH next year for retirement.

I travel to PH also since 1996 for business.

I can subscribe Expat'sPH explanations, spot on.

Looking forward to more to come!

Hi Eberhard, thank you, please join in with your own experience from PH.

What part of PH do you consider?

• Like 1